Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Intel 2915ABG Adapter, Linksys B Router & SLOW XP Filesharing

Intel 2915ABG Adapter, Linksys B Router & SLOW XP Filesharing

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?=

Issue: File sharing using the above connections in a Dell Latitude 610 is
glacial - like it can take 15 minutes to open a file share containing
graphics like "My Shared Pictures". Just to select the file share from "My
network Places" can take over a minute. File transfer is very slow. Internet
connections are also really slow. If I change to a linksys wireless B
adapter (PCMCIA Card) everything is super quick. I have tried updating the
Intel 2915 driver to the latest one on Dell's web site (vers 9.0.2.31) but it
didn't help.

I contacted Dell Support and they told me that this behavior for the Intel
adapter is normal - basically they said if I can connect to a file share and
connect to the internet then the hardware is working properly.

The default settings for 2915ABG appear to be set up for a wireless G
connections rather than B but making the prefered band = 802.11B has no
effect either. My questions are:

1. Would the 2915 adapter work 'fast' with a Wirelss G router?
2. Is it a compatability issue between a linksys router with an intel adpater?
3. Is the issue that the intel 2915 adapter doesn't work well with windows
file sharing?
4. could it be a bad adapter and changing it out for a new 2915ABG could fix
it.

Pavel A.

Check the antenna attachment. Bad contact can cause this behavior.
If this won't help, I'd suggest to ask Dell again to help you troubleshoot this issue.
The 2915 has several useful diagnostic tools (logs, counters etc).
If they in Dell don't know how to do this, ask them to elevate your issue to the card manufacturer support.

--PA