Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > heh, 1GB email...

heh, 1GB email...

Dave - Dave.net.nz

So I was wondering why one of the mailservers was suddenly crawling...

It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

I introduced him to compression, and he has since emailed the 60MB email
to his collegue.

File attachment size limits have now been introduced.

Brendan

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:48:06 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
> to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

Yeah, porn is a bastard to email

--

.... Brendan

"Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him." -- Paul Eldridge

Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 2:51:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brendan wrote:
>>It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
>>to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

> Yeah, porn is a bastard to email

I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

Brendan

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:04:31 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>> Yeah, porn is a bastard to email

> I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

--

.... Brendan

PATRIOT, n. One to whom the interests of a part seem superior to those of the whole. The dupe of statesmen and the tool of conquerors. -- Ambrose Bierce

Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 3:18:47 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Brendan wrote:
>>>Yeah, porn is a bastard to email

>>I've burned it to CD... it was security videos.

> If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
> Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...

They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

Bull

> > It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
> > to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

> Yeah, porn is a bastard to email

How can you compress 1GB of Video to 60MB ??? You must
have resampled it to a low res and frame size ? ZIPing wouldn't
make a smaller file. AVI and MPG are already pretty close to
the smallest already aren't they ??

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Bull wrote:
>>>It appears that one user decided that he was going to email the guy next
>>>to him, 1GB of files... an AVI of some sort.

>>Yeah, porn is a bastard to email

> How can you compress 1GB of Video to 60MB ??? You must
> have resampled it to a low res and frame size ? ZIPing wouldn't
> make a smaller file. AVI and MPG are already pretty close to
> the smallest already aren't they ??

the file was 4fps but records at 24fps so 6 frames have exactly the same
thing, when it encodes it seems to make it small as.

The email was 1GB... the file was actually only 700MB.

Gordon

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:48:15 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
> show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...
>
> They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

And which Company is this we are reading about?

In the days of lean mean and efficient, mailing (large) binary files does
not cut it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Gordon wrote:
>>well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
>>show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...
>>They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

> And which Company is this we are reading about?

The one I work for...

> In the days of lean mean and efficient, mailing (large) binary files does
> not cut it.

indeed... thats what network shares are for... well, one of the purposes.

Brendan

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:48:15 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>> If anyone wants to see them they can't because it's all "confidential"!
>> Brilliant! You're bound to get away with it Dave.

> well see, thats the thing, it was only an example... they were trying to
> show some visiting staff that they could email videos round... heh...

And they got ahold of your "security" video's ? Gezus that could have been
funny. Is it the one with the two lesbians ?

> They're going to use a shared network share(drive) to do it from now on.

Much more sensible.

--

.... Brendan

"... it is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer." -- Sun System & Network Admin manual

Note: All my comments are copyright 3/12/2004 7:49:29 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.