Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New Server - Hard Drives?

New Server - Hard Drives?

Jeff

Assuming separate drives for system and data, is it possible to have a
mirror for the system disk and raid5 for the data disk?

Is SATA as good as SCSI ?

Is there much difference between 3 and 8 disks in the working raid5
environment?

I have googled but would like some real NZ experiences to consider.

Thanks
Jeff

thing

Jeff wrote:
> Assuming separate drives for system and data, is it possible to have a
> mirror for the system disk and raid5 for the data disk?
>
> Is SATA as good as SCSI ?
>
> Is there much difference between 3 and 8 disks in the working raid5
> environment?
>
> I have googled but would like some real NZ experiences to consider.
>
> Thanks
> Jeff

Sata is not as good as scsi, but if you are going to raid5 data the
performance cannot be that much of an issue for you. SATA is also far
quieter.

What is this to be used for? the application and duty should be the
over-riding factor in designing your hardware and chosing the OS.

If you are looking at a 30 man office fileserver sata is fine, 300 users
and scsi is possibly the choice, 3000 users and scsi or fibre is the choice.

If its a web server then sata and raid5 is fine and a good decision If a
semi-serious database goes anywhere near it, raid5 is not my choice.

Desktop box doing video editing? then no way raid5, raid1 or raid1+0.

anyway............

Assuming seperate drives means 5 disks for your setup, 2 in a raid1 and
3 in a raid5.

Now the raid 5 means either a 4 way controller or 2 x 2 way controllers
to get you the 3 channels and 3 disks.

Lets assume you want 3 x 120 gig raid 5, giving you 240gig real.....
Another option is 1 x 2 way controller card and 2 x 250 gig disks, this
means faster writes than a raid5 as well.

3 x 120 gig disks is $450 ish....
2 x 250 gig disks is $600 ish....

but your 4 channel raid5 capable SATA controller is around the $490 mark
v a 2 channel SATA controller at $150....

So raid 1 = $150+600 = $750
and raid 5 = $450+480 = $930
or 2 x 2 way controllers = $450+300 = $750 and use up 2 pci
slots.....if your OS will allow you to software raid of course, does XP?
I know Linux does....MacOSx? not without a software adon I
believe.....(please do correct me if I am wrong).

Lose a disk in a raid5 and your performance is impacted, lose a disk in
raid 1 and see virtually no impact.

regards

Thing