Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Overloading scope

Reply
Thread Tools

Overloading scope

 
 
wpiman@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
Hi,
I have a few procedures in my main thread that I overload in scope.
This allows them to have much shorter calls in the various tests. This
works great, but recently I added some access types to my procedures
and now I can't get the compiler (Modelsim) to recognize the functions.
Ex.

PROCEDURE sendSerialMessage IS
BEGIN
sendSerialMessage(clk=> t_XMIT_CLK,
headPointer => headPointer,
dest=> dest,
parityValid => parityValid);
END sendSerialMessage;

headPointer is a shared variable that is an access type declared in a
separate package. I can make the call in my main thread- but the error
seems to only pop up when I try to overload the scope. It happens in
another procedure that I try to overload too. I tried using a local
variable and I get the same issue. Anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Mike Scott

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Treseler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a few procedures in my main thread that I overload in scope.
> This allows them to have much shorter calls in the various tests.


This is a good idea when using packaged procedures.

An alternative is to declare the test procedures in a
single test process to eliminate the need for
most of the parameter passing.
For example, see the main process in the testbench here:
http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/

> This
> works great, but recently I added some access types to my procedures
> and now I can't get the compiler (Modelsim) to recognize the functions.


I don't see any functions.


> PROCEDURE sendSerialMessage IS
> BEGIN
> sendSerialMessage(clk=> t_XMIT_CLK,
> headPointer => headPointer,
> dest=> dest,
> parityValid => parityValid);
> END sendSerialMessage;
>
> headPointer is a shared variable that is an access type declared in a
> separate package.


Why do you need to pass a shared variable as a parameter?
Is it not in scope anyway?

> I can make the call in my main thread- but the error
> seems to only pop up when I try to overload the scope.


I wonder what the error message is?
Are you properly dereferencing the pointer?

> It happens in
> another procedure that I try to overload too. I tried using a local
> variable and I get the same issue. Anyone else seen this?


I'm not sure what you are seeing.
Can you make a simple example demonstrating the problem?

-- Mike Treseler

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RE: Overloading __init__ & Function overloading Iyer, Prasad C Python 4 09-30-2005 08:01 PM
Re: Overloading __init__ & Function overloading Fredrik Lundh Python 0 09-30-2005 03:59 PM
Overloading __init__ & Function overloading Iyer, Prasad C Python 3 09-30-2005 02:17 PM
Re: Overloading __init__ & Function overloading Steve Holden Python 0 09-30-2005 01:58 PM
Re: Overloading __init__ & Function overloading Fredrik Lundh Python 0 09-30-2005 01:53 PM



Advertisments