Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Graphics card recommendations

Reply
Thread Tools

Graphics card recommendations

 
 
JohnO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004

"Brian Mathews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:52:20 +1300, # <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 19:42:34 +1300, JohnO wrote:
>>
>>> And make sure you get a card with a 256 bit memory interface, not 128
>>> bit.

>>
>>I would assume you are referring to the 9800 series ie the 9800se?

>
>
> the 9800se is a crippled version.
>
>


The se version is 128 bit. The 'proper' 9800pro is 256 bit. In your previous
post, Woger, you claim there's not much difference between the 128 and 256
bit versions. Ergo, Woger once again doesn't know what the **** he's talking
about.

9800se:
http://tomshardware.bizrate.com/mark...--8760398.html

9800pro:
http://tomshardware.bizrate.com/mark...--7386035.html

BTW: xpcomputers have the 256 bit 9800pro for $344+gst. Not at all bad for
the price!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-30-2004
Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking to spend ~$300 on a new graphics card. It should have TV out
> and DVI, and be AGP. Apart from that, I'm just after good gaming
> performance. What can people recommend? The Radeon 9800 is ~$100 more
> expensive than the 9600 pro... is the difference in spec worth $100? My
> system is a 1.5ghz Athlon XP, soon to have 512mb of RAM.. can I use
> these cards to their full potential?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Hi,

First (and probably most important thing), make sure you have a PSU that
can handle the upgrade. Nothing worse than getting a brand new 9600XT only
to find out that it crashes when doing heavy duty 3D because your "measly"
250W-300W PSU can't drive it at full throttle.

It's also something to take into consideration for your budget.

I'd recommend a 350+ Watt PSU - if you haven't already got one that is.
A lot of good feedback on this ng regarding AcBel PSU's - plus they're
still relatively cheap.

Second, now that the GF6600GT AGP has _finally_ arrived, it might be a good
idea to sit back and wait to see what this will do to prices. I imagine
that upcoming versions of the 6600GT will only push prices down further.

(note: contrary to earlier posts the 6600GT is in fact a lot closer to
the $400NZD price point than the $700-800NZD a few predicted)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
S Roby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-01-2004
Some cards(some Gecube) have "below spec" ram running
at a slower speed which has a big effect on the graphics speed.
Just a note for the wise.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graphics Card & Video Card =?Utf-8?B?cm9sbHRpZGUzNzM4?= MCSE 21 01-17-2007 07:20 PM
Graphics Card Recommendations BIGEYE Computer Support 0 10-22-2006 11:57 AM
Recommendations for quad output graphics card Allistar NZ Computing 22 07-30-2006 11:41 PM
New Graphics Card Recommendations xdocx Computer Support 6 02-25-2004 04:11 AM
OT: Recommendations for Graphics card with dual display support Graham Computer Support 1 08-09-2003 09:13 AM



Advertisments