Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP, SP2 problems, continued

XP, SP2 problems, continued

Ronnie H

SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.

some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
message:

16 Bit Windows Subsystem

C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS
or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
application.

is there a way around this?
Thanks in advance

Mackin

Ronnie H wrote:

> SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
> applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
> are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
> converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
>
> some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
> message:
>
> 16 Bit Windows Subsystem
>
> C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS
> or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
> application.
>
> is there a way around this?
> Thanks in advance

Maybe an answer here?

Mackin

Alan Keatinge

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:37:57 +1300, "Ronnie H" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
>applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
>are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
>converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
>
>some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
>message:
>
>16 Bit Windows Subsystem
>
>C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
>running MS-DOS
>or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
>application.
>
>is there a way around this?
>Thanks in advance

I had the same problem.
The file Autoexec.nt is missing from Windows\system32. to restore it
do the following:

Use search to find Autoexec.nt file. it will probably be in
C:\Windows\repair, copy and paste it to C:\Windows\system 32.
That should fix your problem.

Alan Keatinge

David

Alan Keatinge wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:37:57 +1300, "Ronnie H" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
>>applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
>>are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
>>converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
>>
>>some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
>>message:
>>
>>16 Bit Windows Subsystem
>>
>>C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
>>running MS-DOS
>>or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
>>application.
>>
>>is there a way around this?
>>Thanks in advance
>>

> I had the same problem.
> The file Autoexec.nt is missing from Windows\system32. to restore it
> do the following:
>
> Use search to find Autoexec.nt file. it will probably be in
> C:\Windows\repair, copy and paste it to C:\Windows\system 32.
> That should fix your problem.
>
> Alan Keatinge

I had a similar problem (pre-SP2). The autoexec.nt file was there, but
command.com was missing, resulting in an error about autoexec.nt, which
i found weird.

steven

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:37:57 +1300, Ronnie H wrote:

> SP2 problems: after a clean install of WinXP pro SP2 most
> applications reinstalled OK. Exceptions were 16 bit programs. These
> are small shareware programs, eg, mortgage calculators, stickers, metric
> converters etc etc. These do not appear on Microsoft's list.
>
> some install and do not run, some do not install, all result in this
> message:
>
> 16 Bit Windows Subsystem
>
> C:\Windows\system32\ autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS
> or Microsoft Windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
> application.
>
> is there a way around this?
> Thanks in advance

yep email the people who wrote your vast aray of 16bit software and ask
them to recompile it for a 32bit system.

hell they have had damn near 8 years to do it.

steven h

Ronnie H

Thanks to all respondents: problem now solved.
news:dcww9l48nw9u$.1tgt5mdfb9ize$(E-Mail Removed).. .