Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bloody clearnet newsserver problem again

Bloody clearnet newsserver problem again

updown

Damn bloody same problem that I have had a few times before with the
clearnet newsserver, it's a bastard of a problem because you don't even know
there is a problem until day's go by with no replies to your posts and then
it is difficult to confirm the problem as you need another newsserver to
look at, I found a free one to confirm the problem but I am still stuck as I
can still not post. Anyhow the problem is that posts do not show up on
certain newsgroups but what makes it most annoying is it looks like they do,
they show in my newsreader but in fact they have not made it onto the
newsgroup at all, this has been a hell of a problem to get fixed with
clearnet before because they do not act until they get a certain amount of
complaints and in this case that could take a while as it only affects
certain newsgroups and it may take people a while to realise what is
happening.
I use to have a free backup newsserver but it does not seem to be working
anymore, does anyone know what happened to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/
Does anyone know of a free newsserver I can post to as I really need to be
able to get a reply to some queries before tonight, I find newsgroups a good
tool and useful for things that cannot be easily done through google
searches etc..., it's a pity the isp's don't rate it.

updown

"updown" <flying@around> wrote in message news:41aa554e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Damn bloody same problem that I have had a few times before with the
> clearnet newsserver, it's a bastard of a problem because you don't even

know
> there is a problem until day's go by with no replies to your posts and

then
> it is difficult to confirm the problem as you need another newsserver to
> look at, I found a free one to confirm the problem but I am still stuck as

> can still not post. Anyhow the problem is that posts do not show up on
> certain newsgroups but what makes it most annoying is it looks like they

do,
> they show in my newsreader but in fact they have not made it onto the
> newsgroup at all, this has been a hell of a problem to get fixed with
> clearnet before because they do not act until they get a certain amount of
> complaints and in this case that could take a while as it only affects
> certain newsgroups and it may take people a while to realise what is
> happening.
> I use to have a free backup newsserver but it does not seem to be working
> anymore, does anyone know what happened to this http://news.cis.dfn.de/
> Does anyone know of a free newsserver I can post to as I really need to be
> able to get a reply to some queries before tonight, I find newsgroups a

good
> tool and useful for things that cannot be easily done through google
> searches etc..., it's a pity the isp's don't rate it.

Some people might wonder why I bothered with this post and instead just
reported it to clearnet, anyone who thinks this has obviously not tried
reporting a fault to clearnet. I rang clearnet, got through to internet
faults, explained the problem and was then told to email the helpdesk, it
turns out that the fault reporting section of the customer phone service is
not in fact for reporting faults with the service at all, once you explain
the fault you are asked to email helpdesk, how bloody aggravating, why waste
the customers time by having a fault reporting service that is only a way of
referring you to the email helpdesk and good luck with using that, I have
used the email helpdesk before and you hear nothing back about the problem
and nothing is done about the problem for quite sometime so you don't know
what the hell is going on, man I wish the internet had never gone
mainstream, I remember the days when you rang paradise and you got someone
that both had the knowledge and power to do something about your problem,
now all you get is the run around. I know I should not expect much more from
big companies that only got where they are by takeovers, I would change isp
but I have done that several times over the last couple of years and have
not had any long term satisfaction with anyone, I have basically given up
finding a isp with good service these days.

updown

"updown" <flying@around> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> referring you to the email helpdesk and good luck with using that, I have
> used the email helpdesk before and you hear nothing back about the problem
> and nothing is done about the problem for quite sometime so you don't know
> what the hell is going on, man I wish the internet had never gone
> mainstream, I remember the days when you rang paradise and you got someone
> that both had the knowledge and power to do something about your problem,
> now all you get is the run around. I know I should not expect much more

from
> big companies that only got where they are by takeovers, I would change

isp
> but I have done that several times over the last couple of years and have
> not had any long term satisfaction with anyone, I have basically given up
> finding a isp with good service these days.

This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I need
to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late for
what I need to find out, if I could actually report the fault and get a
reply from someone with the knowledge and the power to do something about it
I would not be so ****ed off but when you can't get through to someone like
this it is bloody frustrating.

Nicholas Sherlock

updown wrote:
> This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I need
> to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late for
> what I need to find out

Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

updown

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:codtup$pmt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> updown wrote:
> > This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I

need
> > to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late

for
> > what I need to find out

> Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Thanks, but from what I can tell it would be way to slow, for instance only
the first few posts from yesterday are showing up on nz.comp now, I need my
posts to get through straight away as replies later than the next couple of
hours will be too late.

Sue Bilstein

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:27:53 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>updown wrote:
>> This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I need
>> to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late for
>> what I need to find out

>Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com

Yes, but not to read the answer, unless a 6 - 12 hour time lag is OK.

I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
your posts come from Germany.

But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

updown

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:27:53 +1300, Nicholas Sherlock
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >updown wrote:
> >> This always bloody happens when I really need to use the newsgroups, I

need
> >> to be able to post by later this afternoon, after that it is too late

for
> >> what I need to find out

> >Isn't it possible to post through google groups? http://groups.google.com

> Yes, but not to read the answer, unless a 6 - 12 hour time lag is OK.
>
> I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
> server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
> your posts come from Germany.
>
> But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
> up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

Thanks, I was using the german newsserver but it is no longer working for
me, I am not sure if the free service is still going.
I will consider the supernews but I am very reluctant to give my credit card
details for a free trial period.

Sue Bilstein

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:05:04 +1300, "updown" <flying@around> wrote:
>"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
>> server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
>> your posts come from Germany.
>>
>> But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
>> up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

>Thanks, I was using the german newsserver but it is no longer working for
>me, I am not sure if the free service is still going.
>I will consider the supernews but I am very reluctant to give my credit card
>details for a free trial period.

I haven't had any problems with them. They seem to be a reputable
business.

Other people I have given my CC details to, without ill effects:

TinyUrl
Winzip
Symantec
Forte
Amazon.

updown

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:05:04 +1300, "updown" <flying@around> wrote:
> >"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> I recommend www.supernews.com ($US4.95 per month). Others use a free
> >> server, sorry I can't remember its name, but you end up looking as if
> >> your posts come from Germany.
> >>
> >> But you can get supernews on a one-month trial basis real quick, sign
> >> up w/ CC and plug their server name into your newsreader.

> >Thanks, I was using the german newsserver but it is no longer working for
> >me, I am not sure if the free service is still going.
> >I will consider the supernews but I am very reluctant to give my credit

card
> >details for a free trial period.
> >

> I haven't had any problems with them. They seem to be a reputable
> business.
>
> Other people I have given my CC details to, without ill effects:
>
> TinyUrl
> Winzip
> Symantec
> Forte
> Amazon.

Thanks.

> [...]

> referring you to the email helpdesk and good luck with using that, I have
> used the email helpdesk before and you hear nothing back about the problem
> and nothing is done about the problem for quite sometime so you don't know
> what the hell is going on, man I wish the internet had never gone
> mainstream, I remember the days when you rang paradise and you got someone
> that both had the knowledge and power to do something about your problem,
> now all you get is the run around. I know I should not expect much more

from
> big companies that only got where they are by takeovers, I would change

isp
> but I have done that several times over the last couple of years and have
> not had any long term satisfaction with anyone, I have basically given up
> finding a isp with good service these days.

Well maybe someones watching, the problem has been fixed already which is
great but the not been able to speak to someone about it is still very
annoying.