Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I need help with a wireless network problem.

I need help with a wireless network problem.

MarkH

OK, here is a problem for those with some wireless experience.

I set up a Wireless Access Point/DSL Router/4 Port Hub (Netgear WGR614) and
got it working easily enough.

Then I set up a Laptop with a built in wireless adapter (Intel Pro) and
tried to connect to the WAP. Windows found the WAP, tried to connect to
it, then told me that it could not find any wireless networks. I changed
the channel on the WAP and then got a repeat on the laptop (find, try to
connect, can't find).

I disabled the Windows XP handling of wireless connection and switched to
using the Intel software. This time I could find the wireless network and
join it, I could browse and copy files, everything worked fine. On a
reboot (or if I disabled and re-enabled wireless) the Intel software tells
me there is no signal, it can't find any wireless networks. I unplug power
to the WAP, wait 10 seconds and plug the power back in, voila the laptop
finds the network and connects to it happily.

So what's the problem guys?

This is a brand new HP Laptop and a brand new Netgear WAP.

Do I need to update the Intel Pro wireless software?

Firmware update on the WAP?

I haven't had a lot of experience with wireless networks, but the last one
I set up was a breeze, connected 2 laptops and everything worked easily.

Googling hasn't found the solution, I need some help from you experienced
and knowledgeable people out there!

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

Gurble

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:23:16 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> had
this to say:

>OK, here is a problem for those with some wireless experience.
>
>I set up a Wireless Access Point/DSL Router/4 Port Hub (Netgear WGR614) and
>got it working easily enough.
>
>Then I set up a Laptop with a built in wireless adapter (Intel Pro) and
>tried to connect to the WAP. Windows found the WAP, tried to connect to
>it, then told me that it could not find any wireless networks. I changed
>the channel on the WAP and then got a repeat on the laptop (find, try to
>connect, can't find).
>
>I disabled the Windows XP handling of wireless connection and switched to
>using the Intel software. This time I could find the wireless network and
>join it, I could browse and copy files, everything worked fine. On a
>reboot (or if I disabled and re-enabled wireless) the Intel software tells
>me there is no signal, it can't find any wireless networks. I unplug power
>to the WAP, wait 10 seconds and plug the power back in, voila the laptop
>finds the network and connects to it happily.
>
>So what's the problem guys?
>
>This is a brand new HP Laptop and a brand new Netgear WAP.
>
>Do I need to update the Intel Pro wireless software?
>
>Firmware update on the WAP?
>
>I haven't had a lot of experience with wireless networks, but the last one
>I set up was a breeze, connected 2 laptops and everything worked easily.
>
>Googling hasn't found the solution, I need some help from you experienced
>and knowledgeable people out there!

Hi there.

Could well be something interfering with it.

Firstly, it would be a good idea to update the firmware on both the
card and the WAP. Always a good idea.

Secondly, do you have a digital cordless phone? Try moving the AP if
possible, and see if that helps.

Are you trying to use the laptop close to the AP?

Also, some laptops have the card built in, but you must buy an aerial
(although often it is the other way around). This is not so much the
case these days, but you never know with HP...

Also, google and grab "Net Stumbler", which is a tool to find wireless
networks in your neighbourhood, and see if it sees your wireless
network OK, and can give you strengths, etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Richard

MarkH wrote:

> This is a brand new HP Laptop and a brand new Netgear WAP.

Brand new HP still means really old drivers typically

> Do I need to update the Intel Pro wireless software?

Yes

> Firmware update on the WAP?

Most likly wouldnt hurt

> I haven't had a lot of experience with wireless networks, but the last one
> I set up was a breeze, connected 2 laptops and everything worked easily.
>
> Googling hasn't found the solution, I need some help from you experienced
> and knowledgeable people out there!

When I was looking there were heaps of results with people having problems with
the rubbish intel wireless cards?

Geoff Hall

What card is it?

Intel stopped making wireless cards a long time ago.

The Intel 2100 was the 802.11b and the 5000 the 802.11a implementation.

Both seem to work under XPSP2 however pre SP2 they only work with the Intel
Wireless Driver/Manager.

Throw it away and get a matching Netgear one. Save your hair...

Geoff

MarkH

Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Could well be something interfering with it.

But it works fine till reboot, then finds nothing at all. i.e. strong
signal, reboot laptop and it says there is no signal at all.

> Firstly, it would be a good idea to update the firmware on both the
> card and the WAP. Always a good idea.

OK, I'll give it a go.

> Secondly, do you have a digital cordless phone? Try moving the AP if
> possible, and see if that helps.

They only have an old cheap analogue cordless phone. I think it is the
2.4GHz phones that will cause a huge problem.

> Are you trying to use the laptop close to the AP?

Very close, a couple of metres maybe.

> Also, some laptops have the card built in, but you must buy an aerial
> (although often it is the other way around). This is not so much the
> case these days, but you never know with HP...

No, I get a good signal and working wireless network, until reboot.

> Also, google and grab "Net Stumbler", which is a tool to find wireless
> networks in your neighbourhood, and see if it sees your wireless
> network OK, and can give you strengths, etc.

Kind of wish I had my own laptop for this job, would be good to verify that
the WAP is OK, or that the WAP is the problem.

> Let us know how you get on.

I'll visit the customer and update firmare, drivers and Intel Pro Wireless
software and report back.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
understand binary and those that don't"

MarkH

"Geoff Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:coav6j$onl$(E-Mail Removed):

> What card is it?
>
> Intel stopped making wireless cards a long time ago.
>
> The Intel 2100 was the 802.11b and the 5000 the 802.11a
> implementation.
>
> Both seem to work under XPSP2 however pre SP2 they only work with the
> Intel Wireless Driver/Manager.
>
> Throw it away and get a matching Netgear one. Save your hair...

I would if I could. But it is not really my customer, I have been asked to
visit onsite and get the gear setup. I would not be popular if I visit
onsite, play around, state the hardware is crap and they will have to buy
other stuff.

When a salesman sells a customer a WAP and a laptop complete with wireless
adapter, how popular would a tech be that is asked to do the setup but just
rubbishes the hardware and insists that it be changed to suit his
preferences?

Of course if the hardware was just plain incompatible and could not work
together then it would be a different story.

--

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:41a8da2f$1_5@127.0.0.1:

> MarkH wrote:
>
>> This is a brand new HP Laptop and a brand new Netgear WAP.

> Brand new HP still means really old drivers typically
>
>> Do I need to update the Intel Pro wireless software?

> Yes
>
>> Firmware update on the WAP?

> Most likly wouldnt hurt
>
>> I haven't had a lot of experience with wireless networks, but the
>> last one I set up was a breeze, connected 2 laptops and everything
>> worked easily.
>>
>> Googling hasn't found the solution, I need some help from you
>> experienced and knowledgeable people out there!

> When I was looking there were heaps of results with people having
> problems with the rubbish intel wireless cards?

I read problems, but only one or two that matched what I experienced.
Those didn't seem to have the right solution listed.

Unfortunately I was unable to get the software updates while onsite, the
Intel Pro Wireless software is over 40MB and the customer's dial up
connects at 30k, and while onsite I am on the clock.

I will download drivers, firmware and software at home and then visit the
customer to sort the problem.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
understand binary and those that don't"

Geoff Hall

> I would if I could. But it is not really my customer, I have been asked
> visit onsite and get the gear setup. I would not be popular if I visit
> onsite, play around, state the hardware is crap and they will have to buy
> other stuff.

Oh Dear, the sales and techie syndrome.
After 20 yrs of them and us you get used to it, they sell em a dream and
give us the nightmare!

You didn't confirm the card type was it the Intel 2011 ?
It's a real problem for you, as they have not updated the software since
they stopped selling them.
There are at least two firmware revisions.
I still have one in my toolbag I just gave up trying to use it, it would
sniff the ssid connect and then just loose the connection with WEP enabled
it wouldn't work at all.
Certain firmware only supports 48bit encryption ensure you AP can fall back
to this.

I suggest you visit here for an insight into this card.
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-suppo...ENG/Readme.txt

> When a salesman sells a customer a WAP and a laptop complete with wireless
> adapter, how popular would a tech be that is asked to do the setup but
> just
> rubbishes the hardware and insists that it be changed to suit his
> preferences?

I've spent most of my life defending salemen from upset clients, you have to
educate them.
My sales guys wont use the coffee machine nowadays without clearing it with
the tech dept first and thats the way it should be.

> Of course if the hardware was just plain incompatible and could not work
> together then it would be a different story.

The Intel PCMCIA adapters were discontinued in 2003 the driver support
stopped in 2002 I think it's safe to say they are no longer compatible in
many aspects.
They could only be loosely described as 802.11b compliant.

How much is a wifi adapter in Kiwiland any way?

Geoff
(Task IT) UK
Intel Premier Provider
& Soon to be NuKiwi

Gavin Tunney

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:23:16 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK, here is a problem for those with some wireless experience.
>
>I set up a Wireless Access Point/DSL Router/4 Port Hub (Netgear WGR614) and
>got it working easily enough.
>
>Then I set up a Laptop with a built in wireless adapter (Intel Pro) and
>tried to connect to the WAP. Windows found the WAP, tried to connect to
>it, then told me that it could not find any wireless networks. I changed
>the channel on the WAP and then got a repeat on the laptop (find, try to
>connect, can't find).
>
>I disabled the Windows XP handling of wireless connection and switched to
>using the Intel software. This time I could find the wireless network and
>join it, I could browse and copy files, everything worked fine. On a
>reboot (or if I disabled and re-enabled wireless) the Intel software tells
>me there is no signal, it can't find any wireless networks. I unplug power
>to the WAP, wait 10 seconds and plug the power back in, voila the laptop
>finds the network and connects to it happily.
>
>So what's the problem guys?
>
>This is a brand new HP Laptop and a brand new Netgear WAP.
>
>Do I need to update the Intel Pro wireless software?
>
>Firmware update on the WAP?
>
>I haven't had a lot of experience with wireless networks, but the last one
>I set up was a breeze, connected 2 laptops and everything worked easily.
>
>Googling hasn't found the solution, I need some help from you experienced
>and knowledgeable people out there!

I've had a few problems in the past with speed negotiation on a few
mixed brand wireless networks Mark, may be worth looking at. Been a
while since I've encountered it & can't recall exactly what the
problem was now, but the symptoms were similar to yours, ie a fresh
setup would connect ok but the minute you changed something...
rebooted or pulled the NIC out, it wouldn't reconnect.

The WAP is probably set to auto-negotiate the speed & duplex. Try
setting the speed on the WAP & NIC at a fixed rate, and half-duplex,
and see if it resolves the immediate problem of not finding the WAP.

Cheers

Gavin

MarkH

"Geoff Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cod1i7$44h$(E-Mail Removed):

>> I would if I could. But it is not really my customer, I have been
>> asked to
>> visit onsite and get the gear setup. I would not be popular if I
>> visit onsite, play around, state the hardware is crap and they will
>> have to buy other stuff.

> Oh Dear, the sales and techie syndrome.
> After 20 yrs of them and us you get used to it, they sell em a dream
> and give us the nightmare!
>
> You didn't confirm the card type was it the Intel 2011 ?
> It's a real problem for you, as they have not updated the software
> since they stopped selling them.
> There are at least two firmware revisions.
> I still have one in my toolbag I just gave up trying to use it, it
> would sniff the ssid connect and then just loose the connection with
> WEP enabled it wouldn't work at all.
> Certain firmware only supports 48bit encryption ensure you AP can fall
> back to this.

OK Guys I have revisited the site and made notes of exact hardware:

Laptop:
HP NX5000

Network adapter:
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

WAP
Netgear WGR614 (rev 1), this was a surprise, the Netgear website lists
the original WGR614, the rev2, rev3 and revision 4. How old is the
stock being sold here in NZ?

I started by updating the Laptop, was Intel Proset 8 so I updated to
9.0.1.0, no fix.
I updated the network driver, still no fix.

I updated the firmware on the router and reset it, still no-fix.

Then I updated the router firmware to a beta version from Netgear's
site, now the problem appears to be fixed.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.