Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DSE Acer laptop - opinions?

DSE Acer laptop - opinions?

xlo

Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?

http://tinyurl.com/435mk

I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.

I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a 800mhz
cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that criteria
seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner. All have an
unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get anywhere near
their asking prices?

Daniel

xlo wrote:
> Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/435mk

Yep. I saw that deal a while back. You should go for it.

For your needs this will suit perfectly, but, I strongly recommend you
spend the extra $99 and upgrade to 512MB RAM.

If your budget will stretch, spend an extra $120 to extend the warranty
to 3 yrs.

Acer seem to have sorted their act out on the laptop front these days.
I know a couple of guys with Acers, and they run quite nicely.

Collector»NZ

xlo said the following on 27/11/2004 21:48:
> Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/435mk
>
> I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
> reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
> aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.
>
> I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a 800mhz
> cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that criteria
> seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner. All have an
> unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get anywhere near
> their asking prices?

I would check up on the legality of using that munged address if I was
you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember something about it
being a non no to screw with .govt.nz domains in any way.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
his toes.

xlo

Collector»NZ wrote:

> xlo said the following on 27/11/2004 21:48:
>
>> Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from
>> DSE?
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/435mk
>>
>> I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
>> reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
>> aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.
>>
>> I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a
>> 800mhz cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that
>> criteria seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner.
>> All have an unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get
>> anywhere near their asking prices?

> I would check up on the legality of using that munged address if I was
> you. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember something about it
> being a non no to screw with .govt.nz domains in any way.

Your paranoia is infectious.

Chris Mayhew

xlo wrote:
> Does anyone have views on the value / quality of the Acer laptops from DSE?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/435mk
>
> I want a laptop - nothing flash, no 3d video needed, but wanted a
> reasonable sized screen, preferably 1024 x 768. Size and battery life
> aren't a real concern. These seem okay at $1300.
>
> I had been looking second hand. Something over or around about a 800mhz
> cpu and 256 mb min ram would do the trick. Most that meet that criteria
> seem to be in the $800 range. Many don't have a CD burner. All have an
> unknown history and no warranty. Do sellers manage to get anywhere near
> their asking prices?

OK Dell arn't Acer, but Dell do have some quite good deals on what your
looking for.