Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL questions.

ADSL questions.

Crash

Greetings all,

Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.

I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both can
be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
than ethernet?

TIA,
Crash.

Peter

Crash wrote:
> I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both
> can be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2)
> slower than ethernet?

IMO you are better off using the ethernet connections. (Buy a switch or hub
at Dick Smith if the adsl router has only 1 eth port.) Then you can easily
add PCs etc, and configure use via the router.

HTH

Peter

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>IMO you are better off using the ethernet connections.

Frankly I can't see why anyone would bother with connecting to an ADSL
router via USB. You need special OS-specific drivers, you can't share
it, and it would be slower.

S Roby

Better security(?) with ethernet based modem

Mark S

Probably not, iirc they are giving away crappy Alcatel USB/Ethernet MODEMS.

The important bit to note is MODEMS, not ROUTERS.

An Ethernet modem requires a PPPoE connection to a dedicated PC. ie, you
cannot share with a hub, switch etc, and usually its one port or the other
(ethernet or usb), not both.

You should avoid using the USB port if you can as this will pull CPU cyc;es
from your PC, whereas Ethernet won't so much.

"Crash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a82251$0$20860$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Greetings all,
>
> Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.
>
> I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both

can
> be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
> than ethernet?
>
> TIA,
> Crash.

Gordy

If it is the same modem as my friend received, then yes you can run
USB and Ethernet simultaneously to two different computers.

You have not said which modem you were supplied.
The docs that came with the modem should tell you if it is possible.
If all else fails check the modem manufacturer's web site.

Cheers

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:42:38 +1100, "Crash"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.
>
>I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both can
>be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
>than ethernet?
>
>TIA,
>Crash.

Crash

"Gordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> If it is the same modem as my friend received, then yes you can run
> USB and Ethernet simultaneously to two different computers.
>
> You have not said which modem you were supplied.
> The docs that came with the modem should tell you if it is possible.
> If all else fails check the modem manufacturer's web site.

[snip]
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:42:38 +1100, "Crash"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Greetings all,
> >
> >Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.
> >
> >I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both

can
> >be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
> >than ethernet?

Its a DLINK brand modem. The documentation that comes with it is Xtra
branded and is oriented to a one-PC connection.

TIA,

Crash.

Mark S

It wouldn't be a modem then, it'd be a router

ADSL Modem = no sharing
ADSL Router = sharing

"Gordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> If it is the same modem as my friend received, then yes you can run
> USB and Ethernet simultaneously to two different computers.
>
> You have not said which modem you were supplied.
> The docs that came with the modem should tell you if it is possible.
> If all else fails check the modem manufacturer's web site.
>
> Cheers

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:42:38 +1100, "Crash"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Greetings all,
> >
> >Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.
> >
> >I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both

can
> >be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
> >than ethernet?
> >
> >TIA,
> >Crash.

Gordy

Tell D-Link that they have got it wrong.

On 29 Nov 2004 18:04:07 -0600, "Mark S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It wouldn't be a modem then, it'd be a router
>
>ADSL Modem = no sharing
>ADSL Router = sharing
>
>"Gordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> If it is the same modem as my friend received, then yes you can run
>> USB and Ethernet simultaneously to two different computers.
>>
>> You have not said which modem you were supplied.
>> The docs that came with the modem should tell you if it is possible.
>> If all else fails check the modem manufacturer's web site.
>>
>> Cheers

>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:42:38 +1100, "Crash"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Greetings all,
>> >
>> >Signed up for the Jetstream 2mbit package, got the modem and filters.
>> >
>> >I notice the modem has ethernet and USB ports. Does anyone know if both

>can
>> >be used (i.e. 2 computers). Separately is USB (presumably 1 not 2) slower
>> >than ethernet?
>> >
>> >TIA,
>> >Crash.

Mark S

I wouldn't expect any less from D-Link.

The product is awful. Basically its the worst kind of ADSL device you can
get, part modem part router. In router mode it provides a basic version of
NAT, with what looks to be no security, and the NAT rules are a big vague -
so it looks like it does no port forwarding/maping/pinholing either.

Its a security concern; likely to break a few protocols (I can IPSEC
breaking on these things); and likely to have a few application issues where
port forwarding is required.

But its free, which is probably an appropriate price for one