Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bitstream and DC Hubs

Bitstream and DC Hubs

Steve

Hi,

Well, after two months of waiting I am finally on Bitstream and can say for
the most part I am happy with performance. One thing I am not happy about
however, is the reduced performance when logging in to DC hubs. It used to
be that the initial login (loading of users etc) would take no more than
say, 30 seconds for a big hub, but now it takes forever, with constant
timeouts and lost connections. As I write this I have been trying to connect
to two of my regular hubs and have had no luck. I've made the necessary
adjustments to my firewall for my new IP. I tried changing my port on the
off chance that that was the problem, but it has made no difference. Anyone
else have any problems? Have you solved them? I won't say that I haven't
stuffed something up, but I don't think so. Oh yeah, tracerts don't seem to
show any problems in the path to the server(s).
After some testing last night it seemed that once connected all was good,
with reasonable download speeds. It's just the getting connected that seems
to be a problem.
Oh, and as far as online gaming is concerned, a mixed bag of results. Some
servers give me the sort of pings I expect (80-90ms) whereas others give me
250-500ms, so this could be better.

I still haven't been able to login fully to a hub without a disconnect or
timeout. At least last night I managed to connect eventually...

Cheers,

Steve

-[Myth]-

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:35:11 +1300, Steve wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, after two months of waiting I am finally on Bitstream and can say for
> the most part I am happy with performance. One thing I am not happy about
> however, is the reduced performance when logging in to DC hubs. It used to
> be that the initial login (loading of users etc) would take no more than
> say, 30 seconds for a big hub, but now it takes forever, with constant
> timeouts and lost connections. As I write this I have been trying to connect
> to two of my regular hubs and have had no luck. I've made the necessary
> adjustments to my firewall for my new IP. I tried changing my port on the
> off chance that that was the problem, but it has made no difference. Anyone
> else have any problems? Have you solved them? I won't say that I haven't
> stuffed something up, but I don't think so. Oh yeah, tracerts don't seem to
> show any problems in the path to the server(s).
> After some testing last night it seemed that once connected all was good,
> with reasonable download speeds. It's just the getting connected that seems
> to be a problem.
> Oh, and as far as online gaming is concerned, a mixed bag of results. Some
> servers give me the sort of pings I expect (80-90ms) whereas others give me
> 250-500ms, so this could be better.
>
> I still haven't been able to login fully to a hub without a disconnect or
> timeout. At least last night I managed to connect eventually...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

What version of DC++ are you using? 0.666 had a major bug regarding logins,
i had similar problems. Try 0.667 or 0.4034. Also, if you are using Win98
try 0.401 because it is not unicode.

Steve

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:35:11 +1300, Steve wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Well, after two months of waiting I am finally on Bitstream and can say

for
> > the most part I am happy with performance. One thing I am not happy

about
> > however, is the reduced performance when logging in to DC hubs. It used

> > be that the initial login (loading of users etc) would take no more than
> > say, 30 seconds for a big hub, but now it takes forever, with constant
> > timeouts and lost connections. As I write this I have been trying to

connect
> > to two of my regular hubs and have had no luck. I've made the necessary
> > adjustments to my firewall for my new IP. I tried changing my port on

the
> > off chance that that was the problem, but it has made no difference.

Anyone
> > else have any problems? Have you solved them? I won't say that I haven't
> > stuffed something up, but I don't think so. Oh yeah, tracerts don't seem

> > show any problems in the path to the server(s).
> > After some testing last night it seemed that once connected all was

good,
> > with reasonable download speeds. It's just the getting connected that

seems
> > to be a problem.
> > Oh, and as far as online gaming is concerned, a mixed bag of results.

Some
> > servers give me the sort of pings I expect (80-90ms) whereas others give

me
> > 250-500ms, so this could be better.
> >
> > I still haven't been able to login fully to a hub without a disconnect

or
> > timeout. At least last night I managed to connect eventually...
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Steve

> What version of DC++ are you using? 0.666 had a major bug regarding

logins,
> i had similar problems. Try 0.667 or 0.4034. Also, if you are using Win98
> try 0.401 because it is not unicode.

I'm running the latest version on XP. I just noticed that a lot of the hubs
offer connects on alternate ports. I tried this and my problems are gone.
Would this suggest Orcon are traffic shaping or nerfing certain ports?

Cheers,

Steve