Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New laptop

New laptop

Brendon Pascoe

Hi all,

Opinions on a new 17" widescreen laptop would be appreciated.
Toying with the new Sony Viao or the HP models. (sorry not sure of specs).
The HP has a P4 HT processor, where-as the Sony has the Pentium M type -
Centrino I think?

Going to be running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Premiere on it, for web
design etc.
And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
all my software that way - not yet anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Brendon

David Preece

Brendon Pascoe wrote:
> And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
> all my software that way - not yet anyway.

Yeah, it's lunacy isn't it. I have no idea why they don't stick both
versions on the disk, or at very least provide a cheap upgrade path.

Given that you have to stay on the dark side, I'd recommend Pentium M
but not Sony (I hear lots of people moaning about Sony laptops).

Dave

Brendon Pascoe

David Preece wrote:
> Brendon Pascoe wrote:
>
>> And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
>> all my software that way - not yet anyway.

> Yeah, it's lunacy isn't it. I have no idea why they don't stick both
> versions on the disk, or at very least provide a cheap upgrade path.
>
> Given that you have to stay on the dark side, I'd recommend Pentium M
> but not Sony (I hear lots of people moaning about Sony laptops).
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave,
Yeh, really frustrating with having to buy 2 versions for cross
development etc. What also annoys me is the lack of manual with any sort
of software these days - now the developers have got into bed with the
publishers, they make money off the software and then off the books!
Never used to be like that!

Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What was
your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

Brendon

Steve

Brendon Pascoe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Opinions on a new 17" widescreen laptop would be appreciated.
> Toying with the new Sony Viao or the HP models. (sorry not sure of specs).
> The HP has a P4 HT processor, where-as the Sony has the Pentium M type -
> Centrino I think?
>
> Going to be running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Premiere on it, for web
> design etc.
> And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
> all my software that way - not yet anyway.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Brendon

Why are you buying a laptop for development work? Sounds like a major
waste of money to me. Presentation to clients, yes, in which case you
need to look at battery life and things like that... in which case
anything centrino based will be better - and you could (possibly) make a
case for the extra overhead of buying a computer with a designer label
on it.

Brendon Pascoe

Steve wrote:

> Why are you buying a laptop for development work? Sounds like a major
> waste of money to me. Presentation to clients, yes, in which case you
> need to look at battery life and things like that... in which case
> anything centrino based will be better - and you could (possibly) make a
> case for the extra overhead of buying a computer with a designer label
> on it.

Steve,
It's a little awkward being in the UK for 6 months a year and in NZ the
other half, and trying to get a desktop and 19"monitor through customs
all the time...
In terms of development on a laptop, well I have managed to get by for
the last 5 years on this old P3 650, so things aren't that bad.
Thanks for your input.

Brendon

David Preece

Brendon Pascoe wrote:
> Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What was
> your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

Centrino's are actually designed for working in laptops (they're
basically modified P3's), whereas the P4 was designed from the outset
just to run at high clockrates at the expense of all else. It tells you
something that Intel themselves have quit developing the P4 and are now
working on modding Centrinos for the desktop.

It's actually quite a good chip.

Dave

Dorado

David Preece wrote:
> Brendon Pascoe wrote:
>> Anyway, enough moaning, thanks for the heads up on the Sony's. What
>> was your reasoning for the Pent. M's?

> Centrino's are actually designed for working in laptops (they're
> basically modified P3's), whereas the P4 was designed from the outset
> just to run at high clockrates at the expense of all else. It tells
> you something that Intel themselves have quit developing the P4 and
> are now working on modding Centrinos for the desktop.
>
> It's actually quite a good chip.
>
> Dave

to be precise, Centrino isn't really a processor. It's the name given to the
technology which combines the Pentium M Processor + chipset + wireless
technology.

maz

"Brendon Pascoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ALLpd.726$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Opinions on a new 17" widescreen laptop would be appreciated.
> Toying with the new Sony Viao or the HP models. (sorry not sure of specs).
> The HP has a P4 HT processor, where-as the Sony has the Pentium M type -
> Centrino I think?
>
> Going to be running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Premiere on it, for web
> design etc.
> And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing
> all my software that way - not yet anyway.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Brendon

Dell have just released a 17 inch notebook/desktop replacement. Doesn't
macromedia software come with both PC and Mac versions on the disk now? At
least the new version does I think.

Mercury

Toshiba has a really really good 15.4" lcd on one model. Its so good, it
will make a 17" look downright fuzzy.

I have an Asus M6ne with 1gb ram, Pentium-M 1.8Ghz, dvd dual layer, 802.11g,
Gbit ethernet, 80GB 5400rpm disc drive, 15.4" 1600 x 1050 x true colour
screen, XP Pro... & wow. I have not sat these two machines next to each
other to compare screens, but to give you an idea, the display quality on
the Asus leaves a phillips 201b (20-21") @ 1600 x 1200 res for dead - the
phillips is/was one of the best monitors in its time. Battery life is
excellent - 3.5 hours surfing any day.

So, I recommend shopping around just to see whats best - Pentium M (ala
Centrino) is a good choice - you will not notice any difference between a
Pentium M @ 1.6GHz and a P4 @ 2.8GHz, or perhaps Athlon 64 bit if you want
performance before all else - I saw one (AMD 64) last week (Asus again) with
a display = to this. Asus is being slow with 64 bit drivers...

Sony has a reputation of not updating bios / drivers / firmware once a
product is released. Pity, they are nice looking machines...

AMD 64 bit drivers are slowly coming, but it is even slower for laptops
(acer ferrari has drivers for XP 64 bit available).

The Asus came with 3year international warranty.

- me

"Brendon Pascoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ALLpd.726$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Opinions on a new 17" widescreen laptop would be appreciated.
> Toying with the new Sony Viao or the HP models. (sorry not sure of specs).
> The HP has a P4 HT processor, where-as the Sony has the Pentium M type -
> Centrino I think?
>
> Going to be running Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Premiere on it, for web
> design etc.
> And, yes, I would love a Mac, but I don't have the coin for replacing all
> my software that way - not yet anyway.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Brendon

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, Steve sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Why are you buying a laptop for development work?

What if you need to do development in the field? Or just travel a lot?

Laptops are a bit slow (hard drives) for development, but they can be
essential depending on the work.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and