Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Buying stuff on Trademe

Buying stuff on Trademe

Rob

Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it from
a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the component
before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The seller
seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they wouldn't
be happy that they get a bad review.
Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work, what
do you do?

Peter

Rob wrote:
> Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
> work, and is probably a fault with the product.

<snip>
> what do you do?

maybe you could tell the seller, and ask them what they are going to do
about it. Then, at least they have a chance to make good. If they fail to
respond, then write your bad review, post on usenet, tell your friends,
etc.

HTH

Peter

thing

Rob wrote:
> Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
> work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it from
> a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the component
> before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
> that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The seller
> seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
> Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
> bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they wouldn't
> be happy that they get a bad review.
> Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work, what
> do you do?

I contact them and ask for a refund, if it is not forthcoming. I give a
bad review.

Unless it is sold as is, in which case i would go neutral.

If it is obviously damaged I would go bad, and I have done so.

regards

Thing

PseUDO

Rob wrote:
> Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
> work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it from
> a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the component
> before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
> that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The seller
> seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
> Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
> bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they wouldn't
> be happy that they get a bad review.
> Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work, what
> do you do?

Kind of a similar story..

I sold some RD-RAM sticks to a guy a couple of years back on trademe, he
emailed me to say that when he put them into his computer and turned the
computer on , lots of dark toxic smoke came out of the back of the
computer and quote "filled his lovely house up with a horrible smell" !.

Later when i asked him if he had put them in correctly he said that he
did, i then asked what motherboard he had, and when i checked it out on
google, his board only supported DDR!, how he managed to insert RD-RAM
in to a DDR board , who knows, hence i didn't give him a refund

PseUDO

Gavin Tunney

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:44:46 +1300, "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
>work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it from
>a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the component
>before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
>that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The seller
>seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
>Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
>bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they wouldn't
>be happy that they get a bad review.
>Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work, what
>do you do?

That really comes down to how it was presented by the seller. How
about posting a link to the auction, would make it easier to form an
opinion on it.

Cheers

Gavin

texan.usenet@texas.removethisbit.com

wrote:

>Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
>work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it from
>a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the component
>before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
>that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The seller
>seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
>Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
>bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they wouldn't
>be happy that they get a bad review.
>Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work, what
>do you do?

Did the seller sell it 'as is'; did he state 'not tested' etc etc.

You need to clarify or post the actual words of the auction.

You did state: "sold if from a box of computer coponents they
purchased but hadn't test the component they sold to me" in which case
if this was true; and you chose to bid accordingly knowing such; you
should not black mark him for *your* decision.

Check out the various selling of goods Acts - you might be surprised
at how little coverage you have on second hand goods.

Caveat Emptor.

Cath

maz

> Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
> work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it

from
> a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the

component
> before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
> that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The

seller
> seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
> Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
> bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they

wouldn't
> be happy that they get a bad review.
> Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work,

what
> do you do?

Cheers for your help. The seller has offered a refund.

E. Scrooge

> Just purchased a computer component on trademe that I have found doesn't
> work, and is probably a fault with the product. The seller had sold it

from
> a box of computer components they purchased, but hadn't tested the

component
> before the sold it to me. Should I expect them to give me a refund? I know
> that it is really a case of buyer beware, and I have no comeback. The

seller
> seems really nice, but haven't yet offered to accept it back for a refund.
> Or should I just write a bad review in their profile, and chalk it down to
> bad luck. Currently they have 100% happy buyers, so I am sure they

wouldn't
> be happy that they get a bad review.
> Anyone else purchase a computer component on trademe that doesn't work,

what
> do you do?

Nice guys and business don't mean a thing. Neither does what they say half
the time.
If you got it cheap now you know why.

E. Scrooge

trademe con? - $10 to ask a question bruce NZ Computing 44 03-14-2010 03:59 AM
Trademe idiots Weez NZ Computing 57 05-20-2004 05:19 AM
Buying stuff from overseas with your credit card ? Chris NZ Computing 0 02-19-2004 11:09 PM
Question about "TradeMe" bidding Craig NZ Computing 2 01-27-2004 08:51 AM
TradeMe strangeness JD NZ Computing 16 08-08-2003 06:08 AM

Advertisments