Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ihug ultra speed test - ne1 with ultra wanna try this test for me?

ihug ultra speed test - ne1 with ultra wanna try this test for me?

cowboyz

of late it appears that my conncetion has dropped in speed dramatically.

This is my latest test from ihugs website

This test will estimate the download speed of your internet connection. The
test works by sending a file to your computers browser and timing how long
it takes to download. Your connection speed is calculated by dividing the
file size by the download time. Results of your speed test:

56 Kbps - dial up
128 Kbps - ADSL
Your Connection
256 Kbps - Wireless
1000 Kbps - Ultra
2000 Kbps - Wireless

Speed test details:

Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
Download time: 28.157 seconds
Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)

anyone else with Ultra (prefer DBS service) want to do this test and see
what your getting.

Talked to Ihug, they say several things.

1. my connection is not limited

2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single downloads
will be slow.

impossible

Or for something more consistent try one of these tests:

http://www.toast.net/performance/default.asp

http://www.dslreports.com/stest

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co3aj1$h4i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> of late it appears that my conncetion has dropped in speed dramatically.
>
> This is my latest test from ihugs website
>
> This test will estimate the download speed of your internet connection.
> The
> test works by sending a file to your computers browser and timing how long
> it takes to download. Your connection speed is calculated by dividing the
> file size by the download time. Results of your speed test:
>
> 56 Kbps - dial up
> 128 Kbps - ADSL
> Your Connection
> 256 Kbps - Wireless
> 1000 Kbps - Ultra
> 2000 Kbps - Wireless
>
> Speed test details:
>
> Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
> Download time: 28.157 seconds
> Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)
>

> anyone else with Ultra (prefer DBS service) want to do this test and see
> what your getting.
>

> Talked to Ihug, they say several things.
>

> 1. my connection is not limited
>
> 2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single downloads
> will be slow.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

cowboyz wrote:
> Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
> Download time: 28.157 seconds
> Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)

> 2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single downloads
> will be slow.

that sounds about right ro satnet... what'd you used to get?

cowboyz

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>> Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
>> Download time: 28.157 seconds
>> Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)

>> 2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single
>> downloads will be slow.

> that sounds about right ro satnet... what'd you used to get?

dunno. used to download stuff at 200-250k/sec. lately been downloading at
7-10k/s Thats why I decided to run some tests.

cowboyz

impossible wrote:
> Or for something more consistent try one of these tests:
>
> http://www.toast.net/performance/default.asp

interesting.

Loaded 414,161 bytes in 27.109 seconds from TOAST.net USA server.

33.6K Modem: 16-27K
56K Modem: 34-45K
ISDN/I-DSL: 100-120K
Your throughput: 122 K
Cable/ADSL: 229-950K
T1: 1078-1300K

> http://www.dslreports.com/stest

2004-11-24 20:14:37 EST: 110 / 21
Your download speed : 113170 bps, or 110 kbps.
A 13.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 21768 bps, or 21 kbps

Frank Sams

Same deal here on my ultra connection.
Been like it for a week or two now.
Bit of a pain when paying big $$ and small data cap : (

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co3bn5$hvi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> cowboyz wrote:
>>> Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
>>> Download time: 28.157 seconds
>>> Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)

>>> 2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single
>>> downloads will be slow.

>> that sounds about right ro satnet... what'd you used to get?

> dunno. used to download stuff at 200-250k/sec. lately been downloading
> at
> 7-10k/s Thats why I decided to run some tests.

Chris Mayhew

cowboyz wrote:
> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>>cowboyz wrote:
>>
>>>Test file size: 512 KiloBytes
>>>Download time: 28.157 seconds
>>>Estimated speed: 147 Kilobits/sec (18 KiloBytes/sec)

>>>2. Ultra only works at high speed in multiple downloads - single
>>>downloads will be slow.

>>that sounds about right ro satnet... what'd you used to get?

> dunno. used to download stuff at 200-250k/sec. lately been downloading at
> 7-10k/s Thats why I decided to run some tests.

It's not a sun spot problem ? or the alignment of the New Zealand to the
sun ? I'm assuming that it's happened suddenly..

cowboyz

any idea what your tests *used* to read?

Chris Mayhew wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>>> that sounds about right ro satnet... what'd you used to get?

>> dunno. used to download stuff at 200-250k/sec. lately been
>> downloading at 7-10k/s Thats why I decided to run some tests.
>>

> It's not a sun spot problem ? or the alignment of the New Zealand to
> the sun ? I'm assuming that it's happened suddenly..

Dunno. signal strength is 78% which ihug say is a really good signal.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

cowboyz wrote:
>>It's not a sun spot problem ? or the alignment of the New Zealand to
>>the sun ? I'm assuming that it's happened suddenly..

> Dunno. signal strength is 78% which ihug say is a really good signal.

wasn't there an issue with satnet where it would suck if you got too
high of a signal?