Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > My Half Life 2 opinion

My Half Life 2 opinion

Bryan

Haveing to wait 24 hours before I was able to get authenticated on the
steam server after I had installed the game was damm frustrating. How ever
once game play got under way I was most impressed. The graphics are great
and the water is brilliant. I was impressed by the water in Far Cry, but I
think the water in HL2 is even better. The variety of vehicles and things
you get to do are also great. I find HL2 is like a good book. Its really
hard to leave it alone. The sound of the v8 engine in the dune buggy is so
realistic I found my self stopping occasionally just to listen to its
throaty idle.
I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels and
the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

Adam Cameron

> I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels and
> the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
> Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

Absolutely. The *game* itself is pretty darn good: well done Vavle on that
count. Still not sure it's better than its predecessor, but it's still
pretty good.

I'm on my second time round already. It's not often I finish a game so
quickly (that's through playing it a lot, not through it being a short
game, or be being any good), and then commence playing again from the
beginning immediately afterwards.

Adam

JedMeister

"Adam Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq2onxzvb93r$.1ux13vfn1rer8$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels
>> and
>> the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
>> Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

> Absolutely. The *game* itself is pretty darn good: well done Vavle on
> that
> count. Still not sure it's better than its predecessor, but it's still
> pretty good.
>
> I'm on my second time round already. It's not often I finish a game so
> quickly (that's through playing it a lot, not through it being a short
> game, or be being any good), and then commence playing again from the
> beginning i mmediatelyafterwards.
>
> Adam

But the gameplay is the same old stuff. Flashier graphics/sound/physics
engine thats all. I found it a little boring, and there are annoying breaks
in the game - play for 2 or 3 minutes, wait 30 seconds for next bit to
load.....and so on....

FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth. Whats
gonna be the next big thing?

cowboyz

JedMeister wrote:
> "Adam Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bq2onxzvb93r$.1ux13vfn1rer8$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between
>>> levels and
>>> the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
>>> Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

>> Absolutely. The *game* itself is pretty darn good: well done Vavle
>> on that
>> count. Still not sure it's better than its predecessor, but it's
>> still pretty good.
>>
>> I'm on my second time round already. It's not often I finish a game
>> so quickly (that's through playing it a lot, not through it being a
>> short game, or be being any good), and then commence playing again
>> from the beginning i mmediatelyafterwards.
>>
>> Adam

> But the gameplay is the same old stuff. Flashier
> graphics/sound/physics engine thats all. I found it a little boring,
> and there are annoying breaks in the game - play for 2 or 3 minutes,
> wait 30 seconds for next bit to load.....and so on....
>
> FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth.
> Whats gonna be the next big thing?

There is not alot you can do to a FPS apart from the story. I got sick of
Far Cry because the story just didn't gel.
What I really lkie about HL2 is that it doesn't treat you like an idiot. If
you can't work out where to go nothing comes up and tells you. You just
have to keep working it out. I've been stuck a couple of times and stuck
now in the nova project building but when you work it out its like - my god
that was obvious!!
They play on the physics engine alot with the puzzles that come up. I would
have liked to see more puzzles but overall it is well and clear ahead as
being the best game I have ever played. (close second being beyond good and
evil and third would be oni.)

Adam Cameron

> FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth.

True. I like the ones like Deus Ex and System Shock that bring a heavy
story line and a bit of (basic) role playing to the mix. Not full-on "I'm
a Battle Elf! I have a +5 Badger of Sodomy!", but at least gives the
player a chance to shape their avatar in the way they like.

I also like the Call of Duty type WW2 "simulations". Get shot: die. Kind
of keeps you on your toes (or crouching being walls, at least.

On the other hand I always found those multiplayer games like Counterstrike
and BF1942 to be mind-numbingly tedious.

One thing I dislike about the likes of HL and Doom, now, is that I find it
quite weird to just be able to charge about the place taking hits
right-left-and-centre, and equally find myself thinking "I just shot you in
the *head*... why are you not dead?" I don't think it should take 30-odd
rounds from a machine gun to knock a person down. ONE ot TWO should do the
trick.

> Whats gonna be the next big thing?

Now that I know SystemShock 2 *will* work on Windows XP, I'll probably go
back to that.

But I know that's not what you meant. I'm quite sick of FPS games, those
C&C-type games (WarCraft, etc), Baldur's Gate-type RPGs. And never had much
time for car-racing or flying planes about the place, or strategy games
like Civ. not sure what else that leaves.

Reading books instead?

Adam

cowboyz

Adam Cameron wrote:
>> FPS was original 10 years ago - now it's a little old in the tooth.

> True. I like the ones like Deus Ex and System Shock that bring a
> heavy story line and a bit of (basic) role playing to the mix. Not
> full-on "I'm a Battle Elf! I have a +5 Badger of Sodomy!", but at
> least gives the player a chance to shape their avatar in the way they
> like.
>
> I also like the Call of Duty type WW2 "simulations". Get shot: die.
> Kind of keeps you on your toes (or crouching being walls, at least.
>
> On the other hand I always found those multiplayer games like
> Counterstrike and BF1942 to be mind-numbingly tedious.
>
> One thing I dislike about the likes of HL and Doom, now, is that I
> find it quite weird to just be able to charge about the place taking
> hits right-left-and-centre, and equally find myself thinking "I just
> shot you in the *head*... why are you not dead?" I don't think it
> should take 30-odd rounds from a machine gun to knock a person down.
> ONE ot TWO should do the trick.
>

>> Whats gonna be the next big thing?

> Now that I know SystemShock 2 *will* work on Windows XP, I'll
> probably go back to that.
>
> But I know that's not what you meant. I'm quite sick of FPS games,
> those C&C-type games (WarCraft, etc), Baldur's Gate-type RPGs. And
> never had much time for car-racing or flying planes about the place,
> or strategy games like Civ. not sure what else that leaves.
>
> Reading books instead?

Have you played Metal Gear Solid? Not even sure if it is out on PC but I
know MGS2 is. Kind in the vein of Splinter Cell but much much better story.
Many do complain about the ammount of cut scenes Vs actual gameplay but it
is like watching a movie and playing every now and then , rather than a
game.

> Adam

Dave - Dave.net.nz

JedMeister wrote:
> But the gameplay is the same old stuff. Flashier graphics/sound/physics
> engine thats all.

and the Ferrari F1 car is just a flashier version of the Model T Ford...
whats your point?

TomV

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:21:26 +0000 (UTC), Bryan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Haveing to wait 24 hours before I was able to get authenticated on the
>steam server after I had installed the game was damm frustrating. How ever
>once game play got under way I was most impressed. The graphics are great
>and the water is brilliant. I was impressed by the water in Far Cry, but I
>think the water in HL2 is even better. The variety of vehicles and things
>you get to do are also great. I find HL2 is like a good book. Its really
>hard to leave it alone. The sound of the v8 engine in the dune buggy is so
>realistic I found my self stopping occasionally just to listen to its
>throaty idle.
>I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels and
>the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
>Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

Hehe I'm just up to teh Duen Buggy and loving it.

I found Steam brilliant. Now on TComs 2 Mps ADSL and dowenload was
nice and fast. I was playing within 3 hours of entering my credit card
details, for $20 less than going and buying the CD. very cool

....tom

JohnO

"TomV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:21:26 +0000 (UTC), Bryan
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Haveing to wait 24 hours before I was able to get authenticated on the
> >steam server after I had installed the game was damm frustrating. How

ever
> >once game play got under way I was most impressed. The graphics are great
> >and the water is brilliant. I was impressed by the water in Far Cry, but

> >think the water in HL2 is even better. The variety of vehicles and things
> >you get to do are also great. I find HL2 is like a good book. Its really
> >hard to leave it alone. The sound of the v8 engine in the dune buggy is

so
> >realistic I found my self stopping occasionally just to listen to its
> >throaty idle.
> >I know the game has a few glitches, like slow load times between levels

and
> >the odd graphic glitch, but I am a HL fan.
> >Well thats my 2 cents worth, time to play the game.

> Hehe I'm just up to teh Duen Buggy and loving it.
>
> I found Steam brilliant. Now on TComs 2 Mps ADSL and dowenload was
> nice and fast. I was playing within 3 hours of entering my credit card
> details, for $20 less than going and buying the CD. very cool
>
> ...tom

What was the size of the download?

G. Force

Adam Cameron wrote:
> One thing I dislike about the likes of HL and Doom, now, is that I find it
> quite weird to just be able to charge about the place taking hits
> right-left-and-centre, and equally find myself thinking "I just shot you in
> the *head*... why are you not dead?" I don't think it should take 30-odd
> rounds from a machine gun to knock a person down. ONE ot TWO should do the
> trick.

Sounds like you need to play the Rainbow Six games.