Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is HL 2 Terms of Sale Legal here..

Is HL 2 Terms of Sale Legal here..

William Bell

I can't see how a foreign country can in force its terms of sales here, that
even might even infringe on our CGA..

Also Valve/Steam are the Pirates, when does a Profit = Theft..?

As this Game can't be copied, so every thing is a guaranteed sale, then I
think the price should be a lot lower, or is it just theft from
Valve/Steam....??

Even if you wish to reinstall the game you have to get Steam to validate is
again.

Even Adobe with there $1500 software don't even do that, you get a Custom
Key, that you can use over and over again..

cowboyz

William Bell wrote:
> I can't see how a foreign country can in force its terms of sales
> here, that even might even infringe on our CGA..

blah...

> Also Valve/Steam are the Pirates, when does a Profit = Theft..?

What you on about Wallis?

> As this Game can't be copied,

You going to guarentee that? It is already out on P2P networks.

>so every thing is a guaranteed sale,
> then I think the price should be a lot lower, or is it just theft from
> Valve/Steam....??
>

> Even if you wish to reinstall the game you have to get Steam to
> validate is again.

so what?

> Even Adobe with there $1500 software don't even do that, you get a
> Custom Key, that you can use over and over again..]

Again, so what?

William Bell

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:52:03 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>William Bell wrote:
>> I can't see how a foreign country can in force its terms of sales
>> here, that even might even infringe on our CGA..

>blah...
>

>> Also Valve/Steam are the Pirates, when does a Profit = Theft..?

>What you on about Wallis?
>

>> As this Game can't be copied,

>You going to guarentee that? It is already out on P2P networks.

Not a Full woking copy from the Info I have read, the Retail verson can't be
copied.

>>so every thing is a guaranteed sale,
>> then I think the price should be a lot lower, or is it just theft from
>> Valve/Steam....??
>>

>> Even if you wish to reinstall the game you have to get Steam to
>> validate is again.
>>

>so what?
>
>> Even Adobe with there $1500 software don't even do that, you get a
>> Custom Key, that you can use over and over again..]

>Again, so what?

What a So what you are, do you have some kind of mental problem..?

Andrew

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:17:16 +1300, William Bell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What a So what you are, do you have some kind of mental problem..?

He doesn't, I suggest you look to yourself though.

Kavvy

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:co1b2k$ve2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> William Bell wrote:
> > I can't see how a foreign country can in force its terms of sales
> > here, that even might even infringe on our CGA..

> blah...
>

> > Also Valve/Steam are the Pirates, when does a Profit = Theft..?

> What you on about Wallis?

I know you mean well but its,

Watcha talkin' bout Willis!

Andrew

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:28:21 GMT, "Kavvy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know you mean well but its,
>
>Watcha talkin' bout Willis!

Or even "Watchoo talkin' bout Willis!"

Adam Cameron

>> Even Adobe with there $1500 software don't even do that, you get a
>> Custom Key, that you can use over and over again..]

> Again, so what?

Well, from my POV... it's taken me over a week to get the game working
*without* being connected to the 'net at least when I start it up. This is
inconvenient for me as it's installed on my laptop, and whilst I have 'net
access @ work, I don't have it @ home. Guess where I play my games? I'm
doing *nothing* wrong, illegal, or even that outlandish.

I finally got it working after almost a week, after jumping through all the
various hoops that Valve said I needed to to get Steam to work offline,
with little or no success, and no acknowlegement from them that there's
even *potentially* an issue (despite their forums being choked with people
having the same experience as me). Then magically *another* unsolicited
patch came down the line for it, and it all works. A patch to *Steam*,
mind; not a patch to Half-Life 2.

My experience with every other of the dozens of games I have bought?
Install. Run. Happy.

Steam is simply a pain in the arse. And it's a pain in thr arse that I
simply shouldn't have to go through: there's no *reason*, benefit, or
upside to it.

And if other software vendors (such as Adobe) who sell far more "valuable"
software don't see the need to do, where's Valve's (or Vivendi's, or
Sierra's, whoever is driving this) justification? One could argue "well
it's up to them, no-one's forcing you to buy HL2". True. But naive at the
same time. I *want* to buy HL2, and I *want* to continue buying their
subsequent products. I don't need enticement or any sort, or efforts to
dissuade me from pirating it instead: I don't pirate stuff, I buy it.

But this Steam experience has left such an unpleasant taste in my mouth
that I'm voting with my feet. I've not pirated sofwtare since I was a
student. And if I was tempted at all, I would never have been tempted to
pirate a game that I know I will get my money's worth out of. I like to
think myself as an honest, and reasonable person. However that's now
changed. I *will* continue to play Valve's new games in future, but I
*will not* pay for them; I'll pirate them, simply out of spite (and because
there's a good chance a pirated copy will be easier to get working than a
cosher version). *That's* what they've achieved with this new system of
theirs.

**** them.

Adam

(PS: And I *have* passed this on to Valve, too, btw)

cowboyz

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:28:21 GMT, "Kavvy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I know you mean well but its,
> >
> >Watcha talkin' bout Willis!

> Or even "Watchoo talkin' bout Willis!"

I knew I buggered that up.

Thats what you get for trying to be funny......

cowboyz

"Adam Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48d7cjtkfx3f.hn1j964i5rik$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Even Adobe with there $1500 software don't even do that, you get a
> >> Custom Key, that you can use over and over again..]

> > Again, so what?

> Well, from my POV... it's taken me over a week to get the game working
> *without* being connected to the 'net at least when I start it up. This

is
> inconvenient for me as it's installed on my laptop, and whilst I have 'net
> access @ work, I don't have it @ home. Guess where I play my games? I'm
> doing *nothing* wrong, illegal, or even that outlandish.
>
> I finally got it working after almost a week, after jumping through all

the
> various hoops that Valve said I needed to to get Steam to work offline,
> with little or no success, and no acknowlegement from them that there's
> even *potentially* an issue (despite their forums being choked with people
> having the same experience as me). Then magically *another* unsolicited
> patch came down the line for it, and it all works. A patch to *Steam*,
> mind; not a patch to Half-Life 2.

Yeah, I realise some have been having trouble. I am one of the lucky ones
who got authenticated first try and has run offline ever since without
trouble. It did bug me leaving the cd in the drive so I have the steam
patch so cds are packed away where they belong. It still stands that it is
not valve/steam/vivenditi (is that it?) trying to be difficult but rather a
sign of the times to show what is required to protect those who deserve to
be paid.

> My experience with every other of the dozens of games I have bought?
> Install. Run. Happy.

Your experience maybe. How about the programmers experience. It goes
something like. Spend half your life creating a game. get someone to
release it. Read on the net how crap a job you did because someone has
incompatible hardware. Watch the net as your hard earned work floats around
the internet at will.

> Steam is simply a pain in the arse. And it's a pain in thr arse that I
> simply shouldn't have to go through: there's no *reason*, benefit, or
> upside to it.
>
> And if other software vendors (such as Adobe) who sell far more "valuable"
> software don't see the need to do, where's Valve's (or Vivendi's, or
> Sierra's, whoever is driving this) justification? One could argue "well
> it's up to them, no-one's forcing you to buy HL2". True. But naive at the
> same time. I *want* to buy HL2, and I *want* to continue buying their
> subsequent products. I don't need enticement or any sort, or efforts to
> dissuade me from pirating it instead: I don't pirate stuff, I buy it.
>
> But this Steam experience has left such an unpleasant taste in my mouth
> that I'm voting with my feet. I've not pirated sofwtare since I was a
> student. And if I was tempted at all, I would never have been tempted to
> pirate a game that I know I will get my money's worth out of. I like to
> think myself as an honest, and reasonable person. However that's now
> changed. I *will* continue to play Valve's new games in future, but I
> *will not* pay for them; I'll pirate them, simply out of spite (and

because
> there's a good chance a pirated copy will be easier to get working than a
> cosher version). *That's* what they've achieved with this new system of
> theirs.
>
> **** them.
>
> Adam
>
> (PS: And I *have* passed this on to Valve, too, btw)

Walter Mitty

William Bell wrote:

I saw the name and just *knew* it was going to be a bellyful lot of
laughs and eye rolling. And guess what??? .....

> I can't see how a foreign country can in force its terms of sales here, that
> even might even infringe on our CGA..

Lets see : a "foriegn country" enforcing its terms of sales here? Anyone?

> Also Valve/Steam are the Pirates, when does a Profit = Theft..?

?!?!?? Erm. /rubs head as it starts to hurt/

> As this Game can't be copied, so every thing is a guaranteed sale, then I
> think the price should be a lot lower, or is it just theft from
> Valve/Steam....??

Of course you can copy it : you just cant *play it* wihtout paying for
it. I realise that is a problem for you.

> Even if you wish to reinstall the game you have to get Steam to validate is
> again.

Bother eh?

> Even Adobe with there $1500 software don't even do that, you get a Custom
> Key, that you can use over and over again..

As you can with this game. If you reinstall your computer youd have to
register your Adobe SW again too. STEAM makes it easier : you just have
to remember your STEAM accuont login - no messy CD keys.

--
Walter Mitty
-