Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > annoying clearnet spam filter

Reply
Thread Tools

annoying clearnet spam filter

 
 
updown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2004
I only just discovered today that my clearnet mail account is going through
a clearnet spam filter, I thought this was an additional service which you
paid for but it turns out you get it for free whether you want it or not and
I definitely do not want it and there appears to be no way to disable this
thing which is damn annoying, I would just shift to another isp but these
days it is getting difficult to find a decent isp, I have changed plenty of
times in the last few years and all the isp's have been crap either right
away or later on when they don't keep up with their expanding customer base,
I remember the good old days before every man and his dog got on the
internet.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Newbery
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2004
In article <41a3a656$(E-Mail Removed)>, "updown" <flying@around> wrote:

> I only just discovered today that my clearnet mail account is going through
> a clearnet spam filter, I thought this was an additional service which you
> paid for but it turns out you get it for free whether you want it or not and
> I definitely do not want it and there appears to be no way to disable this
> thing which is damn annoying, I would just shift to another isp but these
> days it is getting difficult to find a decent isp, I have changed plenty of
> times in the last few years and all the isp's have been crap either right
> away or later on when they don't keep up with their expanding customer base,
> I remember the good old days before every man and his dog got on the
> internet.


Paradise.net and clear.net customers can turn off spam and/or
virus protection should they want to.

For clear.net, simply login at:

<http://selfservice.clear.net.nz/>

Go to manage users. Click on user and turn off virus and or spam.

--
Michael Newbery IP Architect TelstraClear
I do not wish to receive commercial email.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Keith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2004

"updown" <flying@around> wrote:
>I only just discovered today that my clearnet mail account is going through
>a clearnet spam filter, I thought this was an additional service which you
>paid for but it turns out you get it for free whether you want it or not and
>I definitely do not want it and there appears to be no way to disable this
>thing which is damn annoying,


You can turn off either the spam or virus filtering or both. See:
http://www.clear.net.nz/services/spamvirus/faq/

But I'm curious as to why you would want to. I kept a careful eye on
the spam for the first 2-3 months of the service and I didn't get a
single false positive. Spam is automatically deleted after seven days
so quota management isn't a problem either.
 
Reply With Quote
 
updown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2004

"Michael Newbery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <41a3a656$(E-Mail Removed)>, "updown" <flying@around> wrote:
>
> > I only just discovered today that my clearnet mail account is going

through
> > a clearnet spam filter, I thought this was an additional service which

you
> > paid for but it turns out you get it for free whether you want it or not

and
> > I definitely do not want it and there appears to be no way to disable

this
> > thing which is damn annoying, I would just shift to another isp but

these
> > days it is getting difficult to find a decent isp, I have changed plenty

of
> > times in the last few years and all the isp's have been crap either

right
> > away or later on when they don't keep up with their expanding customer

base,
> > I remember the good old days before every man and his dog got on the
> > internet.

>
> Paradise.net and clear.net customers can turn off spam and/or
> virus protection should they want to.
>
> For clear.net, simply login at:
>
> <http://selfservice.clear.net.nz/>
>
> Go to manage users. Click on user and turn off virus and or spam.
>
> --
> Michael Newbery IP Architect TelstraClear
> I do not wish to receive commercial email.


Thanks a lot for that advise.


 
Reply With Quote
 
updown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2004

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41a3b57c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "updown" <flying@around> wrote:
> >I only just discovered today that my clearnet mail account is going

through
> >a clearnet spam filter, I thought this was an additional service which

you
> >paid for but it turns out you get it for free whether you want it or not

and
> >I definitely do not want it and there appears to be no way to disable

this
> >thing which is damn annoying,

>
> You can turn off either the spam or virus filtering or both. See:
> http://www.clear.net.nz/services/spamvirus/faq/
>
> But I'm curious as to why you would want to. I kept a careful eye on
> the spam for the first 2-3 months of the service and I didn't get a
> single false positive. Spam is automatically deleted after seven days
> so quota management isn't a problem either.


Thanks. Because spam is not a problem for me(i.e I basically don't get any)
and I don't want to risk valid email going into the spam folder since I do
not use webmail and so it would be a hassle for me to keep an eye on the
spam folder, I looked at webmail today because of a problem I was having
with receiving an email with an attachment.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Patrick Dunford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2004
In article <41a3a656$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed, 24 Nov 2004
10:06:40 +1300, updown <flying@around> says...
> I only just discovered today that my clearnet mail account is going through
> a clearnet spam filter, I thought this was an additional service which you
> paid for but it turns out you get it for free whether you want it or not and
> I definitely do not want it and there appears to be no way to disable this
> thing which is damn annoying, I would just shift to another isp but these
> days it is getting difficult to find a decent isp, I have changed plenty of
> times in the last few years and all the isp's have been crap either right
> away or later on when they don't keep up with their expanding customer base,
> I remember the good old days before every man and his dog got on the
> internet.


Paradise also force spam filtering.

The biggest problem I have with Paradise filtering is the spams are
flicked into a mailbox that you can't see unless you log into the
Paradise website. Why the hell they could not just send me a message
about the spam I don't know.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Anti-Spam Filter.(thunderbird spam filter) zax75 Java 1 03-28-2008 06:43 AM
Re: clearnet's spam filters Keith NZ Computing 28 10-08-2003 02:42 AM



Advertisments