Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ supplier of Compaq\HP spares?

NZ supplier of Compaq\HP spares?

DoggNZ

Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

DaveG

DoggNZ wrote:
> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.
>
> --
> BOINC SETI
> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

Mutlley

DaveG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DoggNZ wrote:
>> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
>> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
>> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.
>>
>> --
>> BOINC SETI
>> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

>I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
>through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

Good luck trying to get Compaq spares. The suppliers seemed to have
vanished. I have a deskpro sitting beside me with a dead PSU. Can't
find a source for replacement.. The old suppliers never reply to
emails..

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:18:47 +1300, DoggNZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
says...

> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

You must be kidding

Alan Leftwing knows about how hard it is to get parts for the HP M50
monitor like the one I am looking at right now

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:12:03 +1300, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> DaveG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >DoggNZ wrote:
> >> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
> >> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
> >> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> BOINC SETI
> >> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

> >I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
> >through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

> Good luck trying to get Compaq spares. The suppliers seemed to have
> vanished. I have a deskpro sitting beside me with a dead PSU. Can't
> find a source for replacement.. The old suppliers never reply to
> emails..

I never tried to get power supplies for a dozen dead Deskpros, at 6 years
old they would be impossible to get parts for and uneconomic as well

DoggNZ

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:19:47 +1300, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
>Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:18:47 +1300, DoggNZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
>says...
>>
>> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
>> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
>> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

>You must be kidding

<snip>

No

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:04:58 +1300, DoggNZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
says...
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:19:47 +1300, Patrick Dunford
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
> >Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:18:47 +1300, DoggNZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >says...
> >>
> >> Anyone know anywhere in NZ that does older Compaq\HP parts? We used to
> >> use Compaq Care (Datacom) but they no longer do that kind of thing
> >> since Visual Group took over HP's repairs.

> >You must be kidding
> >

> <snip>
>
> No

Well honestly I don't think HP in particular has the slightest interest
in keeping parts available for machines beyond a minimum period. And not
for old Compaq hardware that they dumped when they merged.

HP has gone down a lot in my estimation in recent years - starting from
the Deskjet 400 fiasco and other penny pinching in their budget line of
home PCs.

Mutlley

Patrick Dunford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
>Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:12:03 +1300, Mutlley <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> DaveG <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >I managed to get a new replacement redundant PSU for a Proliant 3000
>> >through Computers at Work in Taupo, about a year ago.

>> Good luck trying to get Compaq spares. The suppliers seemed to have
>> vanished. I have a deskpro sitting beside me with a dead PSU. Can't
>> find a source for replacement.. The old suppliers never reply to
>> emails..

>I never tried to get power supplies for a dozen dead Deskpros, at 6 years
>old they would be impossible to get parts for and uneconomic as well

This desk pro is only 3 years old.. We have already replaced 4 PSUs in
4 PCs to date. We still have another 4 PCs to die plus the one that
is dead.

Edmund Good

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:36:43 +1300, Patrick Dunford wrote:

>Well honestly I don't think HP in particular has the slightest interest
>in keeping parts available for machines beyond a minimum period. And not
>for old Compaq hardware that they dumped when they merged.

It's called cost cutting Ever since the merger HP has been singing the
cost cutting song. Personally I think it is wrong, they should be growing
revenue.

>HP has gone down a lot in my estimation in recent years - starting from
>the Deskjet 400 fiasco and other penny pinching in their budget line of
>home PCs.

HP produce crap, I worked for the former repairer of HP/Compaq monitors (we
told HP to find someone else, it was just not worth while doing the repairs
any more - OEMs were pushing down the price they were willing to pay for the
repair and spare parts became harder and harder to get). They were willing to
use OEM's that would produce cheap monitors - ie build to a price and as a
consequence they were not the most reliable or good (in terms of specs)
monitors. I've been told that currently the Visual Group technicians are
replacing signal cables in AKL on a thousand monitors and the number of
monitors that I know of that have "issues" is incredible - just about every
one we were responsible for had some minor (and not so minor) issue that had
to be corrected while in for service.

They all produce crap.

Edmund

Damon Nomad

On , , Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:36:43 +1300, Re: NZ supplier of
Compaq\HP spares?, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HP has gone down a lot in my estimation in recent years - starting from
>the Deskjet 400 fiasco

What was wrong with the DJ400? I have several that work OK.