Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon UBS speed

Orcon UBS speed

Brendan

Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:

1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.

2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.

So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?

Anyone else getting the same ?

--

.... Brendan

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -- Chekhov

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 1:10:46 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Brendan wrote:
> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
>
> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
>
> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
>
> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
>
> Anyone else getting the same ?

Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
outgoing port so using known p2p default ports is just silly.

I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
you getting the big green light? and lots of remote connections?

using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
torrents can just be slow sometimes.

However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
ports.

Z wrote:
> Brendan wrote:
>
>> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
>>
>> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
>>
>> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
>>
>> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
>>
>> Anyone else getting the same ?
>>

> Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
> interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
> outgoing port so using known p2p default ports is just silly.
>
> I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
> you getting the big green light? and lots of remote connections?
>
> using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
> torrents can just be slow sometimes.
>
> However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
> however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
> ports.

When I say outgoing port, I mean destination port, just incase there was
any confusion.

Mr Bond

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:37:34 +1300, Z <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Z wrote:
>> Brendan wrote:
>>
>>> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
>>>
>>> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
>>>
>>> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
>>>
>>> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
>>>
>>> Anyone else getting the same ?
>>>

>> Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
>> interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
>> outgoing port so using known p2p default ports is just silly.
>>
>> I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
>> you getting the big green light? and lots of remote connections?
>>
>> using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
>> torrents can just be slow sometimes.
>>
>> However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
>> however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
>> ports.

>When I say outgoing port, I mean destination port, just incase there was
>any confusion.

My edonkey hasn't been too quick of late, but I'm on jetstream still
(moving soon, don't want to pay $99 setup for 2 months use).

I've always used port 21, the ftp port. For a failsafe test you could
try port 80, the webpages one. Do 80 temporarily though or it will
slow down any web browsing you try to do at the same time. Easy
enough to change these in the options.

Brendan

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:33:57 +1300, Z wrote:

> Don't use the default ports for a start, even if orcon aren't
> interferring with it, other isp's might be shaping traffic based on the
> outgoing port so using known p2p default ports is just silly.

Umm, might try changing them. Was as good as gold until I went to ubs.

> I assume that you have opened pinholes for the ports you are using also?
> you getting the big green light? and lots of remote connections?

Yes.

> using p2p to judge speeds of a line is a really bad way anyway, as
> torrents can just be slow sometimes.

I tried a wide variety.

> However I have had plenty of torrents at 32kbytes going through orcon
> however so would seem to be no problem, but I of course dont use default
> ports.

Haven't had one that fast since ubs, and I've tried a few.

I'll change the ports for emule.

--

.... Brendan

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." -- Will Rogers

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 4:00:45 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Richard

Brendan wrote:

> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
>
> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
>
> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
>
> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
>
> Anyone else getting the same ?

Nope, mine are quick as, a well seeded one from tvtorrents will give me 32 no
worries.

Change your port however. I had to do that because one of the trackers I was on
insisted due to ratelimiting being common on the p2p ports

Brendan

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 17:53:02 +1300, Richard wrote:

> Nope, mine are quick as, a well seeded one from tvtorrents will give me 32 no
> worries.

Was getting 150 (semi often) for the week i had the 2mbit....

> Change your port however. I had to do that because one of the trackers I was on
> insisted due to ratelimiting being common on the p2p ports

How do you change the port on a torrent ? I'm using abc for the client.
Didn't notice any port settings... maybe I'm blind.

--

.... Brendan

"You could put every article of clothing that I am wearing into a hat, and
still comfortably wear the hat."
- Friday Jones

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 7:13:50 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Brendan

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:48:51 +1300, Mr Bond wrote:

>>When I say outgoing port, I mean destination port, just incase there was
>>any confusion.

> My edonkey hasn't been too quick of late, but I'm on jetstream still
> (moving soon, don't want to pay $99 setup for 2 months use).
>
> I've always used port 21, the ftp port. For a failsafe test you could
> try port 80, the webpages one. Do 80 temporarily though or it will
> slow down any web browsing you try to do at the same time. Easy
> enough to change these in the options.

I've changed the ports and it seems to be going a lot better now.
Considering ubs is a wholesale product I suspect Orcon of traffic shaping.

Now, considering the balls up UBS has been in many ways and the
unreasonable restrictions Telecom impose on the telecom<->orcon connection,
traffic shaping may be in order until the leecher/browser ratio improves.
Notification would be nice.

Much as I detest THAT. But the shaping should be based on priority - e.g
ftp/p2p should be a lower priority than core facilities like web and email.
E.g. p2p gets everything not needed by web/email.

And then only for the short term. Or it'll be back to telecom and 2mbit.

--

.... Brendan

Life is a joke. Death is the punchline.

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 7:05:44 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Jax

Richard wrote:
> Brendan wrote:
>
>> Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
>>
>> 1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
>>
>> 2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
>>
>> So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
>>
>> Anyone else getting the same ?

> Nope, mine are quick as, a well seeded one from tvtorrents will give me
> 32 no worries.

you got a URL for tvtorrent?

Mutlley

Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Noticed a curious thing on Orcon's UBS:
>
>1. download via http at up to 32k/sec.
>
>2. download via emule or bittorrent at up to 1k/sec.
>
>So: is Orcon traffic shaping the p2p ports ?
>
>Anyone else getting the same ?

Now that you mention it. Bittorrent is very slow down . About max
2.5KB but upload seems at about 16KB. BT has always seemed this slow
so I thought that was the norm.. Normal news group stuff 32KB

anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
Orcon UBS update Mike_P NZ Computing 19 10-29-2004 08:39 PM
Orcon "UBS" - anyone been switched yet? -=rjh=- NZ Computing 36 10-24-2004 12:05 AM

Advertisments