Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help! Tricky problem printing through the network.

Help! Tricky problem printing through the network.

MarkH

I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.

There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is shared on
the network so others can use it.

Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but from
any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The print job
goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the status in the
queue changes to 'error' and the document does not print.

So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see the
shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be checked
from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue. Therefore it
should be working OK, but it isn't.

The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the same
problem.

Any brilliant suggestions?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

Mr Bond

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.
>
>There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
>Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is shared on
>the network so others can use it.
>
>Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but from
>any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The print job
>goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the status in the
>queue changes to 'error' and the document does not print.
>
>So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see the
>shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be checked
>from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue. Therefore it
>should be working OK, but it isn't.
>
>The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the same
>problem.
>
>Any brilliant suggestions?

I'm no expert on this, but do you have the option anywhere to assign
an IP address to the printer (or to the server)?

I'm guessing that when the server reboots, it, or the printer,
allocates a new IP address (through DHCP?) for itself and the other
computers can't find it.

Although the user computers think they can see it, they can't.
Similar to how a shortcut would work if you moved the file
'shortcutted' to, except that windows will still cue up documents.

MarkH

Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.
>>
>>There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
>>Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is
>>shared on the network so others can use it.
>>
>>Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but
>>from any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The
>>print job goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the
>>status in the queue changes to 'error' and the document does not
>>print.
>>
>>So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see
>>the shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be
>>checked from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue.
>>Therefore it should be working OK, but it isn't.
>>
>>The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the
>>same problem.
>>
>>Any brilliant suggestions?

> I'm no expert on this, but do you have the option anywhere to assign
> an IP address to the printer (or to the server)?

The server has a fixed IP address, the printer is plugged into its USB port
and therefore doesn't have an IP address.

> I'm guessing that when the server reboots, it, or the printer,
> allocates a new IP address (through DHCP?) for itself and the other
> computers can't find it.
>
> Although the user computers think they can see it, they can't.
> Similar to how a shortcut would work if you moved the file
> 'shortcutted' to, except that windows will still cue up documents.

If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
understand binary and those that don't"

AD.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
> To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
> server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?

I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start to
use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with Letter
for some reason until told not to.

The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
from the server.

Cheers
Anton

Dave - Dave.net.nz

MarkH wrote:
> If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
> To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
> server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

it's not something silly like paper size oddities is it?
I find that to be a royal PITA here at work.

usually you have to change it in ~3 places to get it working correctly.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

AD. wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 +0000, MarkH wrote:
>

>>If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
>>To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
>>server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

> I assume it's not something silly like the print jobs from the clients
> being submitted on Letter sized paper is it?
>
> I had a Windows 2000 print server that had been set up from the start to
> use A4, but each new client would always start off printing with Letter
> for some reason until told not to.
>
> The clients didn't seem to be getting the default printing preferences
> from the server.

whoa... snap.
matching pair of replies.

AD.

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:36:37 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> whoa... snap.
> matching pair of replies.

That has to be it then!

Mr Bond

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:42:02 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have an interesting problem at a customer's site.
>>>
>>>There is a printer (HP Laserjet 3300) connected to the USB socket of a
>>>Windows 2003 Server, this has been working fine. The printer is
>>>shared on the network so others can use it.
>>>
>>>Now after a reboot the printer still prints fine from the server, but
>>>from any computer printing from the network there is a problem. The
>>>print job goes to the server and appears on the print queue, but the
>>>status in the queue changes to 'error' and the document does not
>>>print.
>>>
>>>So: The printer is printing fine locally. The other computers see
>>>the shared printer OK and can send print jobs to it. The queue can be
>>>checked from any computer and the print jobs appear on the queue.
>>>Therefore it should be working OK, but it isn't.
>>>
>>>The client computers are running WinXP/Win2K/WinMe/OSX, all with the
>>>same problem.
>>>
>>>Any brilliant suggestions?

>> I'm no expert on this, but do you have the option anywhere to assign
>> an IP address to the printer (or to the server)?

>The server has a fixed IP address, the printer is plugged into its USB port
>and therefore doesn't have an IP address.
>
>> I'm guessing that when the server reboots, it, or the printer,
>> allocates a new IP address (through DHCP?) for itself and the other
>> computers can't find it.
>>
>> Although the user computers think they can see it, they can't.
>> Similar to how a shortcut would work if you moved the file
>> 'shortcutted' to, except that windows will still cue up documents.

>If that were true then the print jobs would not appear in the print queue.
>To clarify, the print jobs do actually appear in the print queue on the
>server, with a status of 'error', they will not print.

Hi,

I followed your original post, I had a similar issue recently where
the printer was connected via network cable/hub to the server and was
getting a new dynamically assigned IP address when it was turned
off/restarted.

The symptom was the same in that the printer appeared on the users
computers, but would just que up documents sent to it, with an error
eventuating. I could fix the problem by reinstalling the printer on
the users machine, but the problem would re-surface next time around.

That's why I likened it to a shortcut with no file at the end of it,
as thats how I figured it had happened.

Hmm, so the printer has no IP address. Can you get the printer to
print a configuration page itself, ie not by getting the server to
print one. It usually has the IP address used by the printer on the
configuration page, and you can check whether I am wrong or not.

Also, does the que on the server increase when users que's increase?
ie do the users and servers que's match up?

Brendan

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 22:31:00 GMT, MarkH wrote:

> Any brilliant suggestions?

Obligatory "install Linux"

The client machines aren't using some different version of the driver are
they ?

Firewall not blocking some port used for controlling the que ?

--

.... Brendan

"It's Hong Kong action. Anything you know about physics is just going to hold you back." -- Robin D. Laws

Note: All my comments are copyright 23/11/2004 4:19:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mr Bond wrote:
> Hmm, so the printer has no IP address. Can you get the printer to
> print a configuration page itself, ie not by getting the server to
> print one. It usually has the IP address used by the printer on the
> configuration page, and you can check whether I am wrong or not.

it is not an IP port printer, it is a USB printer, hence no IP.