Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone had problems with 2.4ghz stuff and cordless phones ?

Anyone had problems with 2.4ghz stuff and cordless phones ?

Bret

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:54:15 +1300, Gurble wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:40:19 +1300, Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
> to say:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
>><lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com > wrote:
>>
>>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>>
>>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>>
>>>Ta.

>>Yeah, I set up a new computer for a friend with a wireless
>>keyboard/mouse combo. The motherboard had that nice feature where you
>>can assign a button to turn the computer on. I set it for the mouse
>>button to turn the computer on.
>>
>>Henceforth the computer turns on every time he recieves a phone call
>>on his cordless phone.
>>
>>I still haven't stopped laughing long enough to get around there and
>>change the bios settings.
>>
>>The interum workaround was for the computer to be turned off at the
>>wall.

> Are you sure it wasn't just set to wake on modem ring (relatively
> common)?
>
> I would expect a wireless keyboard/mouse to operate on a completely
> different frequency to a cordless phone.

The MS ones operate on 27 Mhz, pretty stupid really.

GraB

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:40:19 +1300, Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
><lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.co m> wrote:
>
>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>
>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>
>>Ta.

>Yeah, I set up a new computer for a friend with a wireless
>keyboard/mouse combo. The motherboard had that nice feature where you
>can assign a button to turn the computer on. I set it for the mouse
>button to turn the computer on.
>
>Henceforth the computer turns on every time he recieves a phone call
>on his cordless phone.
>
>I still haven't stopped laughing long enough to get around there and
>change the bios settings.
>
>The interum workaround was for the computer to be turned off at the
>wall.

I suppose one would have to look at infra red wireless keyboards, etc.

PseUDO

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
> Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
> Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>
> Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
> the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>
> Ta.

My wireless networking card in my notebook causes problems with my 2.4
ghz AV sender, it causes a blip on the tv screen every 3 seconds,
putting the card on the highest channel and the AV sender on the lowest
channel helps keep the interference down.

Same with the my Dlink ADSL wireless router, keeping that on a higher
channel helps.

Whenever the microwave oven is on it totally wipes out the AV sender!.

PseUDO

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Problem is, the phone changes it's channel all the time.

Shouldn't that make it more immune to interference? Since interference
from other sources is unlikely to occur simultaneously across _all_
available channels.

My 2.4GHz Panasonic says it has a million different codes to choose
from, and that it autonegotiates a new one every time I put the handset
back on the cradle.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Mon,
22 Nov 2004 16:22:32 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Problem is, the phone changes it's channel all the time.

> Shouldn't that make it more immune to interference? Since interference
> from other sources is unlikely to occur simultaneously across _all_
> available channels.
>
> My 2.4GHz Panasonic says it has a million different codes to choose
> from, and that it autonegotiates a new one every time I put the handset
> back on the cradle.

Channels and codes are not the same thing. The security code makes sure
that no one can use your phone to make outgoing calls. But you can still
have another phone on the same channel with a different security code.
There aren't a million different channels available for any cordless
phones.

Paradox

From: "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

> Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a Panasonic
> DSF cordless phone.
>
> Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either the
> phone or anything electronic in the house ?

No.

Running a wireless network on channel 11 which is as high a frequency as I
can get (2462Ghz?) causes no problems at all with a Uniden 2.4Gz phone
system with 2 base units and a Panasonic non-DECT phone.

Nothing seems to upset the wireless network, occasionally the phones are
crackly but they were like that before the network appeared.

Rob

-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

Thanks all for the comments.

We'll wait and see what happens, eh ?

-=[Montgomery Burns]=-

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
> Thanks all for the comments.
>
> We'll wait and see what happens, eh ?

Nonsense! Dogs are idiots! Think about it, Smithers. If I came into your
house and started sniffing at your crotch and slobbering all over you,
what would you say?

Richard

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:

> Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
> Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>
> Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
> the phone or anything electronic in the house ?

I had all of a 2.4Ghz video sender, a cordless (analog 2.4GHz) and wireless lan
here.

Only one could work at a time despite what you would think about there being
lots of channels.

Microwave oven didnt do a thing to any of the gear.

I changed the phone for a dect one, but _damn_ the range on those things suck,
and the multihandset thing is useless as you cant roam between the 2 of them.

Patrick Dunford

In article <41a1a1d8$1_4@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Mon, 22 Nov 2004
21:33:11 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> -=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
>
> > Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
> > Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
> >
> > Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
> > the phone or anything electronic in the house ?

> I had all of a 2.4Ghz video sender, a cordless (analog 2.4GHz) and wireless lan
> here.
>
> Only one could work at a time despite what you would think about there being
> lots of channels.

*Anything* that is transmitting a strong enough signal can easily
overload the receivers on other gear, regardless of frequency.

It's a little while since I heard it, but breakthrough of radio telephone
signals into PA systems from passing vehicles is not unknown - despite
the fact that the PA system does not use any radio receivers.

> Microwave oven didnt do a thing to any of the gear.

They are designed not to emit frequencies to the outside world, for
safety reasons.