Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone had problems with 2.4ghz stuff and cordless phones ?

Anyone had problems with 2.4ghz stuff and cordless phones ?

-=[Waylon Smithers]=-

Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
Panasonic DSF cordless phone.

Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
the phone or anything electronic in the house ?

Ta.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

-=[Waylon Smithers]=- wrote:
> Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
> the phone or anything electronic in the house ?

nope... amd I use it a fair bit.

Mr Bond

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
<lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com > wrote:

>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>
>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>
>Ta.

Yeah, I set up a new computer for a friend with a wireless
keyboard/mouse combo. The motherboard had that nice feature where you
can assign a button to turn the computer on. I set it for the mouse
button to turn the computer on.

Henceforth the computer turns on every time he recieves a phone call
on his cordless phone.

I still haven't stopped laughing long enough to get around there and
change the bios settings.

The interum workaround was for the computer to be turned off at the
wall.

Gurble

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
<lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com > had this to say:

>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>
>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>
>Ta.

Yes - majorly.

You simply can't use wireless networking stuff and a Panasonic 2.4GHz
digital cordless phone.

Tried it with 3 different APs and numerous client and peer to peer
arrangements, plus two different models of their phones and it's
always the same.

Still have one at home, and whenever the phone rings, it knocks out
our wireless LAN.

HTH.

JedMeister

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
> <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com > had this to say:
>
>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>
>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>
>>Ta.

> Yes - majorly.
>
> You simply can't use wireless networking stuff and a Panasonic 2.4GHz
> digital cordless phone.
>
> Tried it with 3 different APs and numerous client and peer to peer
> arrangements, plus two different models of their phones and it's
> always the same.
>
> Still have one at home, and whenever the phone rings, it knocks out
> our wireless LAN.
>
> HTH.

Have you tried changing the AP channel? At least with my AP (netgear) ,
there are 12 channels which you could use. Never a problem with the phone
ringing (we have 2 cordless phones - both uniden, one old, one new on 2.4ghz
range).

Gurble

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:40:15 +1300, "JedMeister"
<(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

>"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
>> <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com > had this to say:
>>
>>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>>
>>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>>
>>>Ta.

>> Yes - majorly.
>>
>> You simply can't use wireless networking stuff and a Panasonic 2.4GHz
>> digital cordless phone.
>>
>> Tried it with 3 different APs and numerous client and peer to peer
>> arrangements, plus two different models of their phones and it's
>> always the same.
>>
>> Still have one at home, and whenever the phone rings, it knocks out
>> our wireless LAN.
>>
>> HTH.

>Have you tried changing the AP channel? At least with my AP (netgear) ,
>there are 12 channels which you could use. Never a problem with the phone
>ringing (we have 2 cordless phones - both uniden, one old, one new on 2.4ghz
>range).

Yup, I've tried everything

Problem is, the phone changes it's channel all the time.

This is specifically the Panasonic 2.4GHz models. Maybe the Uniden's
play better.

Gurble

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:40:19 +1300, Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
to say:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
><lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.co m> wrote:
>
>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>
>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>
>>Ta.

>Yeah, I set up a new computer for a friend with a wireless
>keyboard/mouse combo. The motherboard had that nice feature where you
>can assign a button to turn the computer on. I set it for the mouse
>button to turn the computer on.
>
>Henceforth the computer turns on every time he recieves a phone call
>on his cordless phone.
>
>I still haven't stopped laughing long enough to get around there and
>change the bios settings.
>
>The interum workaround was for the computer to be turned off at the
>wall.

Are you sure it wasn't just set to wake on modem ring (relatively
common)?

I would expect a wireless keyboard/mouse to operate on a completely
different frequency to a cordless phone.

William Bell

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:40:19 +1300, Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
><lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.co m> wrote:
>
>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>
>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>
>>Ta.

>Yeah, I set up a new computer for a friend with a wireless
>keyboard/mouse combo. The motherboard had that nice feature where you
>can assign a button to turn the computer on. I set it for the mouse
>button to turn the computer on.
>
>Henceforth the computer turns on every time he recieves a phone call
>on his cordless phone.
>
>I still haven't stopped laughing long enough to get around there and
>change the bios settings.
>
>The interum workaround was for the computer to be turned off at the
>wall.

Microwaves stuff ups the phones.

Get a Standard DECT 1.8-1.9 Gig one..

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Gurble wrote:
> This is specifically the Panasonic 2.4GHz models. Maybe the Uniden's
> play better.

Thats what I have at home... only thing I notice is that if I put it
next to the antenna, and change channels manually on the phone, there is
a blip(down) then back up for the wifi.

Mr Bond

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:54:15 +1300, Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:40:19 +1300, Mr Bond <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
>to say:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:01:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
>><lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com > wrote:
>>
>>>Looking at getting some 2.4ghz stuff, and I'm currently using a
>>>Panasonic DSF cordless phone.
>>>
>>>Anyone had any major problems with 2.4 stuff interferring with either
>>>the phone or anything electronic in the house ?
>>>
>>>Ta.

>>Yeah, I set up a new computer for a friend with a wireless
>>keyboard/mouse combo. The motherboard had that nice feature where you
>>can assign a button to turn the computer on. I set it for the mouse
>>button to turn the computer on.
>>
>>Henceforth the computer turns on every time he recieves a phone call
>>on his cordless phone.
>>
>>I still haven't stopped laughing long enough to get around there and
>>change the bios settings.
>>
>>The interum workaround was for the computer to be turned off at the
>>wall.

>Are you sure it wasn't just set to wake on modem ring (relatively
>common)?
>
>I would expect a wireless keyboard/mouse to operate on a completely
>different frequency to a cordless phone.

I'm not sure, I've seen the setting before but wouldn't have thought
that I would have enabled it specifically. I'll have to check that as
a posible cause. Thanks.

I just assumed it was the two wireless things interfering with each
other. The keyboard/mouse had a channel selector thing, but changing
that didn't make any difference. So you could be right.