Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MP3 players

MP3 players

Roger Johnstone

In <1gns1fa.gxsvv81089pbwN%(E-Mail Removed) > Jamie Kahn Genet
wrote:
> Brian Withers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >'cause for me, anyway, it's the interface and storage space (to a
>> >lesser extent) that makes the MP3 player. If it takes ages to sync
>> >my playlists to my player, or setting up those playlists in the
>> >first place is a PITA - then it's a lost cause IMHO. A player that
>> >cannot hold enough music is no damn good either. I don't want to be
>> >having to go back to my computer every day just to get a new
>> >selection. I want to be able to travel for a few days - even a week -
>> >and not have to listen to repeats.

>> The Adata can use a 2gig SD Card..

> Not enough to hold much music, at least at 128k encoding, though I
> prefer 192 or lossless encoding. 128 seems to remove something
> important - I can't quite put my finger on it. It's funny, I usually
> have lousy hearing.
>
> Anyway, it's not enough for a weekend away unless you're listening to
> a downsampled audiobook or something voice only where a very low bit
> rate won't matter much. Sorry - 10GB or bust for me, at least. YMMV of
> course.

And a 2GB SD card costs at least $300. Add that to the cost of the
player and you've pushed it up to the same price as an iPod mini with a
4GB hard drive.

> Well, I still reckon a HD based player is the way to go nowadays. Not
> to say once flash drives get cheaper at multi-gigabyte sizes I won't
> switch to them. I'd definitely prefer a solid state player if only it
> had enough storage. Much more rugged.

The hard drive in the iPod mini uses a CompactFlash interface, and you
can already buy 4GB CF flash cards, so in theory you could just plug one
into an iPod mini today and get a solid state iPod. Probably some time
next year those flash cards are going to be cheaper than the 4GB hard
drives. Of course by then the mini hard drives will be available in
higher capacities, but I can still see Apple releasing a flash-based
iPod micro next year, and bumping the iPod mini up to 8GB.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The hard drive in the iPod mini uses a CompactFlash interface, and you
> can already buy 4GB CF flash cards, so in theory you could just plug one
> into an iPod mini today and get a solid state iPod.

Are you sure those 4 GB CF cards do not in fact have a hard drive on
them? They used to. And they cost more than an iPod Mini.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Roger Johnstone

In <(E-Mail Removed)> Bruce Hoult wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The hard drive in the iPod mini uses a CompactFlash interface, and
>> you can already buy 4GB CF flash cards, so in theory you could just
>> plug one into an iPod mini today and get a solid state iPod.

> Are you sure those 4 GB CF cards do not in fact have a hard drive on
> them? They used to. And they cost more than an iPod Mini.

Until recently, yes, the only way to get that much storage in a CF card
was to use a hard drive like the Hitachi (was IBM) one-inch Microdrive,
but now flash memory density has increased enough that several
manufacturers are making 4GB CF cards using flash. They'll still be more
expensive than the hard drives for a while though.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

Jamie Kahn Genet

Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In <1gns1fa.gxsvv81089pbwN%(E-Mail Removed) > Jamie Kahn Genet
> wrote:

[snip]
> > Well, I still reckon a HD based player is the way to go nowadays. Not
> > to say once flash drives get cheaper at multi-gigabyte sizes I won't
> > switch to them. I'd definitely prefer a solid state player if only it
> > had enough storage. Much more rugged.

> The hard drive in the iPod mini uses a CompactFlash interface, and you
> can already buy 4GB CF flash cards, so in theory you could just plug one
> into an iPod mini today and get a solid state iPod. Probably some time
> next year those flash cards are going to be cheaper than the 4GB hard
> drives. Of course by then the mini hard drives will be available in
> higher capacities, but I can still see Apple releasing a flash-based
> iPod micro next year, and bumping the iPod mini up to 8GB.

Hmmm... I wonder how easy it would be to retrofit an iPod mini with a CF
card. Would the card even fit?

I suppose the top-of-the-line iPod will get the iPod Photo's 60GB drive
soon, too.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--