Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WIN XP HELP WANTED PRTOECTED FOLDER

WIN XP HELP WANTED PRTOECTED FOLDER

Ada

I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
access this older after I had re-installed windows.
So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
DOCUMENTW folder
I have some seriously important data in there..
Anyone got a hack for this??
Thanks

Bok

Ada wrote:
> I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
> a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
> protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
> access this older after I had re-installed windows.
> So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
> original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
> to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
> assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
> DOCUMENTW folder I have some seriously important data in there..
> Anyone got a hack for this??

It sounds like a security issue, you need to acquire ownership of the
folder, which you can do from an adminstrator account. Do you have XP
home or pro?

Ada

Bok wrote:

> Ada wrote:
>
>> I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it
>> in a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which
>> was protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could
>> not access this older after I had re-installed windows.
>> So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
>> original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
>> to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
>> assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
>> DOCUMENTW folder I have some seriously important data in there..
>> Anyone got a hack for this??

> It sounds like a security issue, you need to acquire ownership of the
> folder, which you can do from an adminstrator account. Do you have XP
> home or pro?

XP home.. I have set myself up as an administrator. I am the only user
on the computer too.

Gurble

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
to say:

>I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
>a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
>protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
>access this older after I had re-installed windows.
>So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
>original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
>to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
>assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
>DOCUMENTW folder
>I have some seriously important data in there..
>Anyone got a hack for this??
>Thanks

Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.

Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
privileges:

1. Open "My Computer".
2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
2. Go to the "View" tab.
3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
OK.
4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
"Properties".
5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
take ownership).
6. Choose the Owner tab.
7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
checkbox. Click OK.
9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
permission to view it.
10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
username, then click on "Full Control")
13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
child objects.....".
14. Click OK, then OK.
15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...

HTH.

Ada

Gurble wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
> to say:
>

>>I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
>>a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
>>protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
>>access this older after I had re-installed windows.
>>So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
>>original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
>>to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
>>assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
>>DOCUMENTW folder
>>I have some seriously important data in there..
>>Anyone got a hack for this??
>>Thanks

> Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
>
> Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
> privileges:
>
> 1. Open "My Computer".
> 2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
> 2. Go to the "View" tab.
> 3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
> OK.
> 4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
> "Properties".
> 5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
> a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
> take ownership).
> 6. Choose the Owner tab.
> 7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
> 8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
> checkbox. Click OK.
> 9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
> permission to view it.
> 10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
> above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
> 11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
> box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
> 12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
> username, then click on "Full Control")
> 13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
> child objects.....".
> 14. Click OK, then OK.
> 15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
> 16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
>
> HTH.

Thanks for that.
Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??

And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
cannot be opened.

Gurble

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:44:21 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
to say:

>Gurble wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
>> to say:
>>

>>>I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
>>>a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
>>>protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
>>>access this older after I had re-installed windows.
>>>So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
>>>original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
>>>to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
>>>assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
>>>DOCUMENTW folder
>>>I have some seriously important data in there..
>>>Anyone got a hack for this??
>>>Thanks

>> Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
>>
>> Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
>> privileges:
>>
>> 1. Open "My Computer".
>> 2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
>> 2. Go to the "View" tab.
>> 3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
>> OK.
>> 4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
>> "Properties".
>> 5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
>> a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
>> take ownership).
>> 6. Choose the Owner tab.
>> 7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
>> 8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
>> checkbox. Click OK.
>> 9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
>> permission to view it.
>> 10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
>> above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
>> 11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
>> box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
>> 12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
>> username, then click on "Full Control")
>> 13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
>> child objects.....".
>> 14. Click OK, then OK.
>> 15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
>> 16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
>>
>> HTH.

>Thanks for that.
>Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??

Ok, in that case, don't do 1-3 above, and instead restart the computer
in Safe Mode, and ensure an administrator account. This will give you
access to the "Security" tab.

To restart the computer in safe mode, restart, and keep press F8 until
a menu appears, and choose "Safe Mode".

>And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
>cannot be opened.

Bugger!

HTH. Let us know how you get on.

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada wrote:

> I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
> a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
> protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
> access this older after I had re-installed windows.

Thi is due to security permissions that are used with the Documents and
Setting folder. It stops even an administrator prying into other user's
documents. The solution is just to become the "owner" of the particular
folder and its subfolders/files.

> So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
> original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
> to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
> assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
> DOCUMENTW folder

Yeah well that was never going to work (the user accounts wouldn't match).

> I have some seriously important data in there..
> Anyone got a hack for this??
> Thanks

Have a look at the bottom of this:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpnetsh.htm

Just give the "Everyone" user full read rights to the folders if you can't
figure it out..

Ada

Gurble wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:44:21 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
> to say:
>

>>Gurble wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
>>>to say:

>>>Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
>>>
>>>Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
>>>privileges:
>>>
>>>1. Open "My Computer".
>>>2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
>>>2. Go to the "View" tab.
>>>3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
>>>OK.
>>>4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
>>>"Properties".
>>>5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
>>>a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
>>>take ownership).
>>>6. Choose the Owner tab.
>>>7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
>>>8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
>>>checkbox. Click OK.
>>>9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
>>>permission to view it.
>>>10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
>>>above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
>>>11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
>>>box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
>>>12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
>>>username, then click on "Full Control")
>>>13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
>>>child objects.....".
>>>14. Click OK, then OK.
>>>15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
>>>16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
>>>
>>>HTH.

>>Thanks for that.
>>Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??

> Ok, in that case, don't do 1-3 above, and instead restart the computer
> in Safe Mode, and ensure an administrator account. This will give you
> access to the "Security" tab.
>
> To restart the computer in safe mode, restart, and keep press F8 until
> a menu appears, and choose "Safe Mode".
>

>>And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
>>cannot be opened.

> Bugger!
>

> HTH. Let us know how you get on.

THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
files?
But I have my data back. Most aprreciated. Good ton kow there are some
helpful people out there

Gurble

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:04:40 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> had this
to say:

>> HTH. Let us know how you get on.

>THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
>Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
>anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
>files?

Yes, anyone with Administrator privileges, which is why it's integral
to have a strong administrator password.

Although it's easy enough to hack the admin password if you know what
you're doing
eg http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Windows XP Pro also includes EFS encryption, which makes the process
substantially more difficult - check out:
http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm

But, yeah, the basic rule with a Windows system is that if someone has
physical access to your machine, they own it.

>But I have my data back. Most aprreciated. Good ton kow there are some
>helpful people out there

No problems. I'm glad you've got it back.

Patrick Dunford

In article <Q7Fnd.3990$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Sat, 20
Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
> a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
> protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
> access this older after I had re-installed windows.
> So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
> original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
> to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
> assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
> DOCUMENTW folder
> I have some seriously important data in there..
> Anyone got a hack for this??

You should ALWAYS back up any data before you reinstall Windows. Copying
it to another place on the disk is not backing up.

Make sure you are logging in as an administrator.