Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WAG54G is going back

WAG54G is going back

BB

Hi,

I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.

So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?

BB
NZ

Alpine Dragon

BB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
> upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.
>
> So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
> to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?

It seems the Linksys WAG54G is indeed a dog, I had a few workmates and
friends that had the WAG54G, and most reported that they had problems
with constantly needing to reboot it to get the wireless back up. IMHO
Seems Linksys really dropped the ball here.

Apparently the US Robotics Router 9106 hearing from those that changed
to it from the WAG54G, is reasonably good.
www.dse.co.nz and put XH8198 in the search (sorry that there is no
direct link, never seems to come out when a direct URL is given)
Another option is the 3COM Office connect 3CRWE254G72

Dave - Dave.net.nz

BB wrote:
> So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
> to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?

linksys wrt54g
runs linux of some sort, and there are a few hacked firmwares available
to up it to 250mW from(IIRC) 27mW default.

EMB

Alpine Dragon wrote:

> Another option is the 3COM Office connect 3CRWE254G72
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=334483

IME these are reliable - I put one in for a computer-illiterate relative
and haven't had a single support call caused by it.

--
EMB

-=rjh=-

BB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
> upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.
>
> So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
> to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?
>
> BB
> NZ

Dunno how secure it is, but I'm quite pleased with my D-Link
DWL-2000AP+, but this doesn't do ADSL.

I suppose it will curl up and die after I write this, but it has been
running here 24/7 for months now without any problems whatsoever.

My matching DWL-G650+ PCCard sometimes (maybe once every few weeks)
requires a prod to get going again, (I just run the D-Link utility and
rescan for APs) but that has been pretty good, too, running 24/7 on a
laptop.

Considering the pair cost me just over $200.00 or so, I think they are a
good deal, and I'd consider the ADSL version if the need ever arose for
an all in one solution - but I prefer to keep functions separate.

whoisthis

In article <41a2e92e$1_3@127.0.0.1>, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> BB wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've had enough of the issues with the Linksys WAG54G....numerous firmware
> > upgrades fail to fix the issues it has, even with the simplest functions.
> >
> > So, what do I replace it with? Who has a wireless modem/router that is able
> > to be both secure and reliable? What do *you* recommend?
> >
> > BB
> > NZ
> >

> Dunno how secure it is, but I'm quite pleased with my D-Link
> DWL-2000AP+, but this doesn't do ADSL.
>
> I suppose it will curl up and die after I write this, but it has been
> running here 24/7 for months now without any problems whatsoever.
>
> My matching DWL-G650+ PCCard sometimes (maybe once every few weeks)
> requires a prod to get going again, (I just run the D-Link utility and
> rescan for APs) but that has been pretty good, too, running 24/7 on a
> laptop.
>
> Considering the pair cost me just over $200.00 or so, I think they are a
> good deal, and I'd consider the ADSL version if the need ever arose for
> an all in one solution - but I prefer to keep functions separate.

Well my WAG54G got replaced and it is now working well. I could not get
it stable unsing 802.11g but that is all well and good now. Even the
DDNS is working properly. So I am back to being happy with the
linksys...who coincidentally are a division of cisco so one would have
expected better quality than has been delivered!

HillBilly

> Well my WAG54G got replaced and it is now working well. I could not get
> it stable unsing 802.11g but that is all well and good now. Even the
> DDNS is working properly. So I am back to being happy with the
> linksys...who coincidentally are a division of cisco so one would have
> expected better quality than has been delivered!

what firmware version does it have now ?

I've just found a newer firmware (1.02.7 !) than was shipped with
the unit...and so far no problems.. but its still early to
say for sure.. I'd really be interested in knowing your version.
Thanks.

whoisthis

In article <xYWod.11040$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"HillBilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Well my WAG54G got replaced and it is now working well. I could not get
> > it stable unsing 802.11g but that is all well and good now. Even the
> > DDNS is working properly. So I am back to being happy with the
> > linksys...who coincidentally are a division of cisco so one would have
> > expected better quality than has been delivered!

> what firmware version does it have now ?
>
> I've just found a newer firmware (1.02.7 !) than was shipped with
> the unit...and so far no problems.. but its still early to
> say for sure.. I'd really be interested in knowing your version.
> Thanks.

Hell I went through 4 different versions, the last one was 1.02.5 which
is also what I am currently running with good results. My problems was
the adsl modem would lock up the wireless if 802.11g (or mixed) was
used, if it was on 802.11b it all worked well.