Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Fortune 100 web site hosting OSes

Fortune 100 web site hosting OSes

thing

Solaris powers the web sites of 43 members of the Fortune 100 in the
U.S., compared to 32 companies using Windows and 12 running on Linux.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...rtune_100.html

regards

Thing

Gordon

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:14:38 +1300, thing wrote:

> Solaris powers the web sites of 43 members of the Fortune 100 in the
> U.S., compared to 32 companies using Windows and 12 running on Linux.
>
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...rtune_100.html

Ms Penguin reckons this is okay, she just wants to catch fish for dinner.

-[Myth]-

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:14:59 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:14:38 +1300, thing wrote:
>
>> Solaris powers the web sites of 43 members of the Fortune 100 in the
>> U.S., compared to 32 companies using Windows and 12 running on Linux.
>>
>> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...rtune_100.html
>>

> Ms Penguin reckons this is okay, she just wants to catch fish for dinner.

Solaris is more similar to Linux than Windows, IMHO, so those that use
Solaris would find switching to Linux and vice-versa possibly easier?

thing

-[Myth]- wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:14:59 +1300, Gordon wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:14:38 +1300, thing wrote:
>>

>>>Solaris powers the web sites of 43 members of the Fortune 100 in the
>>>U.S., compared to 32 companies using Windows and 12 running on Linux.
>>>
>>>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...rtune_100.html
>>>

>>Ms Penguin reckons this is okay, she just wants to catch fish for dinner.

> Solaris is more similar to Linux than Windows, IMHO, so those that use
> Solaris would find switching to Linux and vice-versa possibly easier?

I tought myself Linux and x86 Solaris, swapped into a Unix job from
mechanical engineering, never looked back, have better hours, higher job
security, way more job satisfaction and of course last but not least
more $.

Solaris is very similar to Linux and the swapping pretty easy. Other
Unixes such as HP-UX, Tru64 and SCO are more different and need more
effort, however even these (except SCO) are broadly similar, just take
more time.

When it comes to replacing the 43 Solaris top 100 sites, Windows v
Linux's gains will be interesting.

Windows is way differeent to Solaris. Windows has a Unix for windows
plug in but its buggyunstable crap IMHO. If such a hybrid box is needed
better to run vmware and 1 instance of each.

From my limited dealings with SCO boxes its more like Windows than any
other Unix.

regards

Thing