Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Damn suspicious uninvited 'dat' files.

Damn suspicious uninvited 'dat' files.

paora

Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
(WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
to do whatever they want to do.

I think disabling javascript usually stops this happening - is that
the only way?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

paora wrote:
> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
> to do whatever they want to do.

sounds like a case of the mundays^H^H^H^H^H^Hspyware

might want to give your PC a blast with "adaware", "spybot search and
destroy" of similar... probably even virus scann, and if you do already,
with something like "AV housecall".

If unsure about any thing I've said here, google for it.

Martin Kaufmann

paora wrote:
> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc
>
> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
> to do whatever they want to do.
>
> I think disabling javascript usually stops this happening - is that
> the only way?

What about "upgrading" your browser?

Cheers,

Martin

paora

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:53:04 +1300, Martin Kaufmann
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>paora wrote:
>> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
>> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
>> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
>> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc
>>
>> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
>> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
>> to do whatever they want to do.
>>
>> I think disabling javascript usually stops this happening - is that
>> the only way?

>What about "upgrading" your browser?
>
>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Tried that - maybe I'll try it again sometime.

paora

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:07:10 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>paora wrote:
>> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
>> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
>> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
>> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

>> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
>> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
>> to do whatever they want to do.

>sounds like a case of the mundays^H^H^H^H^H^Hspyware
>
>might want to give your PC a blast with "adaware", "spybot search and
>destroy" of similar... probably even virus scann, and if you do already,
>with something like "AV housecall".
>
>If unsure about any thing I've said here, google for it.

yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed
on my hd in the first place

Invisible

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:03:28 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (paora) wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:07:10 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>paora wrote:
>>> Is there something that I don't have installed that leaves me open to
>>> regularly recieve 'dat' files that are usually placed in my windows
>>> (WinME) temp folder? Mostly they are named with a group of 4 random
>>> letters dkle.dat ekju.dat etc

>>> Sometimes they change my homepage or they install 'search bars' in my
>>> browser (IE6) and other times I get zone alarm requests to allow them
>>> to do whatever they want to do.

>>sounds like a case of the mundays^H^H^H^H^H^Hspyware
>>
>>might want to give your PC a blast with "adaware", "spybot search and
>>destroy" of similar... probably even virus scann, and if you do already,
>>with something like "AV housecall".
>>
>>If unsure about any thing I've said here, google for it.

>yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
>wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed
>on my hd in the first place

Spywareblaster (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html) is pretty
good. But IE and dodgy sites are an open invitation.

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) (paora) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
> wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed
> on my hd in the first place

Prevention is called Spywareblaster by javacools.

--
Ciao, Dave

NOSPAM@NOSPAM.invalid.com

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:03:28 +0000, paora wrote:

> yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
> wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed on
> my hd in the first place

Stop using Micro$oft Internet Explorer and Micro$oft Outlook/Express.

Start using Mozilla firefox and any non-Micro$oft email client.

And... ultimately stop using Micro$oft Windows, and start using an Open
Source OS.

Divine

--
"Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
become Shorthorn."

Patrick Dunford

In article <pan.2004.11.19.23.10.12.551657@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Sat, 20
Nov 2004 12:10:12 +1300, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:03:28 +0000, paora wrote:
>
> > yep, I get rid of most things with adaware and spybot but was just
> > wondering what was best if anything to stop these things being placed on
> > my hd in the first place

> Stop using Micro$oft Internet Explorer and Micro$oft Outlook/Express.
>
> Start using Mozilla firefox and any non-Micro$oft email client.
>
> And... ultimately stop using Micro$oft Windows, and start using an Open
> Source OS.

And what is there about an Open Source OS that makes it somehow less
vulnerable than Windows?

Well, nothing at all. In fact more vulnerable because anyone can get the
source, go through it and highlight the vulns.

Bob McLellan

Probably CoolWeb. Sort the directory by date and remove recent stuff.
Look at merijn.org.