Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > installing debian on broadband connection

installing debian on broadband connection

Cliff

I have successfully downloaded and burnt an iso for disc 1 of sarge.
and have used it to provide a basic debian installation.
Debian is now dual booting successfully alongside Win98.
I have an xtra jetstream connection.
When I installed Debian I wasn't able to provide info for the
internet connection.
Can someone please tell me what I should have entered during the
installation process to establish an internet connection via
jetstream.
Also where can I now enter that info or would it be simpler for me to
run the install again?
Thanks
Cliff

thing

Cliff wrote:
> I have successfully downloaded and burnt an iso for disc 1 of sarge.
> and have used it to provide a basic debian installation.
> Debian is now dual booting successfully alongside Win98.
> I have an xtra jetstream connection.
> When I installed Debian I wasn't able to provide info for the
> internet connection.
> Can someone please tell me what I should have entered during the
> installation process to establish an internet connection via
> jetstream.
> Also where can I now enter that info or would it be simpler for me to
> run the install again?
> Thanks
> Cliff

Internal ADSL card or a external router?

If an external card you need to give your Debian box the IP of the
router as the default gateway, also a DNS entry. At this point you setup
/etc/apt/sources.list to show a NZ debian mirror and the netinst updates
and install all you want.

ergards

Steven

regards

Thing

Alex Axolotl

Cliff wrote:

> I have successfully downloaded and burnt an iso for disc 1 of sarge.
> and have used it to provide a basic debian installation.
> Debian is now dual booting successfully alongside Win98.
> I have an xtra jetstream connection.
> When I installed Debian I wasn't able to provide info for the
> internet connection.
> Can someone please tell me what I should have entered during the
> installation process to establish an internet connection via
> jetstream.
> Also where can I now enter that info or would it be simpler for me to
> run the install again?
> Thanks
> Cliff

By default it will set up DHCP on the network card, so if your router does
that you are set up already. You should be able to see it query as it
boots.
Or you can configure /etc/network/interfaces statically with IP and gateway
man interfaces
and /etc/resolv.conf with DNS
man resolv.conf
The usual common network cards are compiled in the kernel on the install
disks
If you run apt-setup then select http then New Zealand it will enter the nz
mirror in /etc/apt/sources.list and update
Then just run aptitude to select packages
once apt is working you can comment out the cd line in /etc/apt/sources.list

Cliff

> Internal ADSL card or a external router?
>
> If an external card you need to give your Debian box the IP of the router
> as the default gateway, also a DNS entry. At this point you setup
> /etc/apt/sources.list to show a NZ debian mirror and the netinst updates
> and install all you want.

Thanks for this. It is an external router.
My router control panel is accessed on my browser at
10.0.0.2 is that its IP ?
Within the control panel DNS entries are both 0.0.0.0
Should I use these or the 207.27.184.3 that xtra uses?

Without reinstalling where exactly can I give Debian the router IP etc?

Thanks
Cliff

Cliff

"Alex Axolotl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By default it will set up DHCP on the network card, so if your router does
> that you are set up already. You should be able to see it query as it
> boots.
> Or you can configure /etc/network/interfaces statically with IP and
> gateway
> man interfaces
> and /etc/resolv.conf with DNS
> man resolv.conf
> The usual common network cards are compiled in the kernel on the install
> disks

The problem is my network card is not listed. What should I do in this case?

Alex Axolotl

Cliff wrote:

> "Alex Axolotl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> By default it will set up DHCP on the network card, so if your router
>> does that you are set up already. You should be able to see it query as
>> it boots.
>> Or you can configure /etc/network/interfaces statically with IP and
>> gateway
>> man interfaces
>> and /etc/resolv.conf with DNS
>> man resolv.conf
>> The usual common network cards are compiled in the kernel on the install
>> disks

> The problem is my network card is not listed. What should I do in this
> case?

What sort of network card ?

Theres a couple of useful configurators

apt-get install modconf
dpkg-reconfigure modconf
and have a look for the correct module and install it

To make the network card setup easy
apt-get install etherconf
dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

Cliff

"Alex Axolotl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What sort of network card ?

Realtek RTL 8029AS

> Theres a couple of useful configurators
>
> apt-get install modconf
> dpkg-reconfigure modconf
> and have a look for the correct module and install it
>

> To make the network card setup easy
> apt-get install etherconf
> dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

I do not seem to have either modconf or etherconf

Alex Axolotl

Cliff wrote:

> "Alex Axolotl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What sort of network card ?

> Realtek RTL 8029AS
>

>> Theres a couple of useful configurators
>>
>> apt-get install modconf
>> dpkg-reconfigure modconf
>> and have a look for the correct module and install it
>>

>> To make the network card setup easy
>> apt-get install etherconf
>> dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

> I do not seem to have either modconf or etherconf

The kernel might not have an ne2k module

To list your modules

lsmod

If there is no card listed try

modprobe ne2k-pci

I have successfully installed Sarge from the first CD onto two PCs, one with
a Via Rhine network card and one with an RTL 8139 so you might have to
change nics

Not really expert at this stuff, just trying to help out.

-[Myth]-

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:00:17 +1300, Cliff wrote:

>> Internal ADSL card or a external router?
>>
>> If an external card you need to give your Debian box the IP of the router
>> as the default gateway, also a DNS entry. At this point you setup
>> /etc/apt/sources.list to show a NZ debian mirror and the netinst updates
>> and install all you want.

> Within the control panel DNS entries are both 0.0.0.0
> Should I use these or the 207.27.184.3 that xtra uses?

Most routers provide a DNS proxy, set the DNS to your router IP, you will
probably find it faster (most support caching)