Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How do you to setup wireless Network form Cable phoneline to lapto

How do you to setup wireless Network form Cable phoneline to lapto

=?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?=

Hello:
I have one desktop computers and one laptop.

What do i need to connect my desktop to my laptop through wireless.
At the prestsent time i have cable phoneline.
Thanks.
Paul

DJ Borell

The best way to do this is to get a wireless router/gateway. Your cable
modem would connect to the WAN port on the router and your desktop would
connect to one of the ports. Your laptop would, obviously, connect
wirelessly to the router. The router/gateway provides the necessary DHCP
options to connect the systems together and also connect to the internet.

The other way would be to acquire a PCI wireless card for your desktop. In
this fashion, you would enable ICS on the desktop (with the cable modem
connecting to the wired-NIC on the desktop) and connect the laptop to the
desktop wirelessly.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
> I have one desktop computers and one laptop.
>
> What do i need to connect my desktop to my laptop through wireless.
> At the prestsent time i have cable phoneline.
> Thanks.
> Paul

Robert Jacobs

Or a third option would to buy a Wireless router to connect to your Cable
Modem. Buy a wireless PCMCIA card for your laptop and Buy a wireless USB or
PCI adapter for your desktop. This can allow you more freedom if you want to
place the desktop somewhere there is not a cable connection close by to the
desktop.

Robert....
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
> I have one desktop computers and one laptop.
>
> What do i need to connect my desktop to my laptop through wireless.
> At the prestsent time i have cable phoneline.
> Thanks.
> Paul

Jack

Hi

The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
about Sharing Interent and using Wireless; it is short and to the point:

Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, and
the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles are still the
same.
Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...