Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon newsfeed

Orcon newsfeed

-=rjh=-

It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's newsfeed -
the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been experiencing
this? This is the second time this has happened in the past few days.

Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

Blister Pak

-=rjh=- said the following on 18/11/2004 22:09:
> It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's newsfeed -
> the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been experiencing
> this? This is the second time this has happened in the past few days.
>
> Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

No hassle for me, retention good, Article count in synch with my other
feeds, downloaded headers actually faster than my other feed.

Blister Pak

Blister Pak said the following on 18/11/2004 22:11:
> -=rjh=- said the following on 18/11/2004 22:09:
>
>> It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's newsfeed
>> - the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been
>> experiencing this? This is the second time this has happened in the
>> past few days.
>>
>> Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

> No hassle for me, retention good, Article count in synch with my other
> feeds, downloaded headers actually faster than my other feed.

And propergation is acceptable as well, this post went out okay and
turned up on my other feeds just as expected.

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:09:51 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

> It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's newsfeed -
> the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been experiencing
> this? This is the second time this has happened in the past few days.
>
> Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

I just gave up and are now using news.individual.net
No more dumb too many connection errors.

I suggest that the other 10 or so Orcon users just switch and then Orcon
can just give up ...(and spend more time hassling telecon)

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's
> newsfeed - the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been
> experiencing this? This is the second time this has happened in the
> past few days.
>
> Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

My fiance and I share an Orcon ADSL feed. I use NIN and she uses the Orcon
feed as NIN doesn't carry the wildlife pics binary groups she subscribes to.
Virtually every time she downloads it comes up with the "Server has not
responded for........" message sooner or later. Also, she often has her
posts sitting in the pending folder for days, they just won't go. These
aren't binary posts either, just a couple K of text. It was the same for me,
hence I'm using NIN. I'm really dissapointed in Orcon over this to be honest
with you. I remember seeing a post from someone from Orcon here several
(six?) months back promising good things soon with their newserver. It was
then that I made the decision to change to Orcon when I left Xtra as a good
newsfeed is very important to me and a big factor in my choosing an ISP.
Since then they contracted the newsfeed out and it's basically shite. I
don't know how the fiance puts up with it to be honest. When I post a
message I expect a little propogation delay but not several days just to get
it off my own PC.
--
~misfit~

Ferg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's
>> newsfeed - the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been
>> experiencing this? This is the second time this has happened in the
>> past few days.
>>
>> Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

I find it very variable. Sometimes I can't connect and other times it is
very fast. Most of the time it is a bit slow but gets there in the end.

Ferg

Jamie Kahn Genet

-=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's newsfeed -
> the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been experiencing
> this? This is the second time this has happened in the past few days.
>
> Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

Widespread. It's really ****ing me off having to muck around so much
just to send each message, and here I go again... Grrr!

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet
--
I am Pentium of Borg, Division is Futile, You will be approximated!

Chris Mayhew

~misfit~ wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>>It has just taken me 4 attempts to post a message via Orcon's
>>newsfeed - the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been
>>experiencing this? This is the second time this has happened in the
>>past few days.
>>
>>Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

> My fiance and I share an Orcon ADSL feed. I use NIN and she uses the Orcon
> feed as NIN doesn't carry the wildlife pics binary groups she subscribes to.
> Virtually every time she downloads it comes up with the "Server has not
> responded for........" message sooner or later. Also, she often has her
> posts sitting in the pending folder for days, they just won't go. These
> aren't binary posts either, just a couple K of text. It was the same for me,
> hence I'm using NIN. I'm really dissapointed in Orcon over this to be honest
> with you. I remember seeing a post from someone from Orcon here several
> (six?) months back promising good things soon with their newserver. It was
> then that I made the decision to change to Orcon when I left Xtra as a good
> newsfeed is very important to me and a big factor in my choosing an ISP.
> Since then they contracted the newsfeed out and it's basically shite. I
> don't know how the fiance puts up with it to be honest. When I post a
> message I expect a little propogation delay but not several days just to get
> it off my own PC.
> --
> ~misfit~

Have you checked out Tera News, they have binaries, the cost use to be
$US3.95 to sign up for the "free" service - that's a one off cost.
Sometimes the service wasn't that great, but still better than Orcon.

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Hi there Guys

We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
stuff.

Newsfeeds.com has been a dissapointing experience - we were hoping
that we were going to be able to provide a great customer experience
without having to maintain our own news server, but newsfeeds is
essentially hopeless.

Cheers
Seeby

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Hi there Guys
>
> We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
> stuff.
>
> Newsfeeds.com has been a dissapointing experience - we were hoping
> that we were going to be able to provide a great customer experience
> without having to maintain our own news server, but newsfeeds is
> essentially hopeless.

Once again, good to see you posting here Seeby.

Thanks for the update. I have to agree, Newsfeeds.com are abysmal. I look
forward to you setting up your own news server, maybe then I won't have to
connect to a German university to get my news feed. <g>.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~