Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wandering mouse xp sp2 prob?

Wandering mouse xp sp2 prob?

Craig Sutton

Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

Anyone familiar with this bug?

Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
continues to do it.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
> continues to do it.

it may not be the mouse, but a particular driver that the mouse uses...
and an identical mouse would, I assume, use the same driver... tried a
different mouse?

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300 was when "Craig Sutton"
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
>Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
>its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

Mine does it sometimes depending on the surface it's on and how I hold
it, ie. if I hold it slightly off the surface, my cursor goes slowly
moving.

Try a blank A4 sheet of paper and see if that helps.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Paul

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
>
> Anyone familiar with this bug?
>
> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
> continues to do it.

I used to have this problem when I had a Nokia ADSL modem installed.

Removed the modem, problem went away.

Strange but true.

Craig Sutton

"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Craig Sutton wrote:
> > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

mouse
> > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen

on
> > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

> > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
> > continues to do it.

> it may not be the mouse, but a particular driver that the mouse uses...
> and an identical mouse would, I assume, use the same driver... tried a
> different mouse?

replaced the driver..with the latest oh well something to do on the weekend
while watching the cricket..

Craig Sutton

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems like Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300 was when "Craig Sutton"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>
> >Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

mouse
> >Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
> >its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.

> Mine does it sometimes depending on the surface it's on and how I hold
> it, ie. if I hold it slightly off the surface, my cursor goes slowly
> moving.
>
> Try a blank A4 sheet of paper and see if that helps.

Its walking on its own... no help needed. Has been cleaned used on different
surfaces ect even replaced by another mouse the same model. Still does it.

max@max

Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.

Same problem .........

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
>
> Anyone familiar with this bug?
>
> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
> continues to do it.

John

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:26:27 +1300, "max@max"
<max@nospam_zl2max.gen.nz> wrote:

>Toshiba 470cdt, Windows ME, microsoft mouse driver.

Update the version of driver?
Try a different brand mouse / hence load a different driver...
Anything in the event log?

>Same problem .........
>

>Craig Sutton wrote:
>> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
>> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
>> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
>>
>> Anyone familiar with this bug?
>>
>> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
>> continues to do it.

-[Myth]-

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:

> Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type mouse
> Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen on
> its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
>
> Anyone familiar with this bug?
>
> Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
> continues to do it.

Do you get the problem when windows isn't running (eg under linux or when
running DOS apps with mouse support from a floppy)

Craig Sutton

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1n245ez1e4yez.jmbzodqmmk6s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:13:56 +1300, Craig Sutton wrote:
>
> > Got a tricky one to try and solve, windows xp machine using ps/2 type

mouse
> > Optical a4tech brand the mouse has started wandering across the screen

on
> > its own. Since putting service pack 2 on XP.
> >
> > Anyone familiar with this bug?
> >
> > Its not the mouse as I replaced it with an identical one I have and it
> > continues to do it.

> Do you get the problem when windows isn't running (eg under linux or when
> running DOS apps with mouse support from a floppy)

Have the unit here now for fixing. Maybe a clash between OFFICE and service
pack 2. Have to check it