Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is It Xtra or My Computer?

Is It Xtra or My Computer?

Chris Hope

WriteWord Translations wrote:

> After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
> computer, but after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking there's an
> outside chance Xtra is to blame.
>
> I can't download my e-mail or surf the Internet at all right now. Oddly, I
> can read newsgroups. I can connect to Xtra all right, and MSN Messenger
> starts fine, but Internet Explorer just gives me "Cannot find server"
> error messages, no matter which page I try to access. When it comes to
> downloading e-mail in Outlook Express, I got one message and then a
> "server timeout".
>
> I've rebooted my computer several times, but it hasn't made a skerrig of
> difference. So is my Internet Explorer 6 browser finally stuffed
> completely, or are others having a lot of problems with surfing and
> downloading e-mails today?
>
> If it's my computer, is there anything I can do, short of chucking it out
> and getting a new one? But if it's Xtra, I suppose I'll just have to ride
> it out.

It's probably a DNS issue. Try changing the DNS servers you use to another
providers and see if it makes a difference. Clear's are 203.97.33.1 &
203.97.37.1

WriteWord Translations

[...]

TIA for any help or comments.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

William Bell

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:38:05 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
>computer, but after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking there's an
>outside chance Xtra is to blame.
>
>I can't download my e-mail or surf the Internet at all right now. Oddly, I
>can read newsgroups. I can connect to Xtra all right, and MSN Messenger
>starts fine, but Internet Explorer just gives me "Cannot find server" error
>messages, no matter which page I try to access. When it comes to downloading
>e-mail in Outlook Express, I got one message and then a "server timeout".
>
>I've rebooted my computer several times, but it hasn't made a skerrig of
>difference. So is my Internet Explorer 6 browser finally stuffed completely,
>or are others having a lot of problems with surfing and downloading e-mails
>today?
>
>If it's my computer, is there anything I can do, short of chucking it out
>and getting a new one? But if it's Xtra, I suppose I'll just have to ride it
>out.
>
>TIA for any help or comments.
>
>Best Regards
>
>ROWAN M.

Dnload AVP and check for Viruses

www.avp.ch

AVG is not nearly as good..

Jed Meisterdude

"WriteWord Translations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5Smd.3380$(E-Mail Removed)...
> After my redirection problems yesterday, I'm thinking it might be my
> computer, but after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking there's an
> outside chance Xtra is to blame.
>
> I can't download my e-mail or surf the Internet at all right now. Oddly, I
> can read newsgroups. I can connect to Xtra all right, and MSN Messenger
> starts fine, but Internet Explorer just gives me "Cannot find server"
> error
> messages, no matter which page I try to access. When it comes to
> downloading
> e-mail in Outlook Express, I got one message and then a "server timeout".
>
> I've rebooted my computer several times, but it hasn't made a skerrig of
> difference. So is my Internet Explorer 6 browser finally stuffed
> completely,
> or are others having a lot of problems with surfing and downloading
> e-mails
> today?
>
> If it's my computer, is there anything I can do, short of chucking it out
> and getting a new one? But if it's Xtra, I suppose I'll just have to ride
> it
> out.
>
> TIA for any help or comments.
>
> Best Regards
>
> ROWAN M.

I've had no problems, working sweet as!!

Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either (not
that I know about at least).

WriteWord Translations

Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which was
marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
calm last ...

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Rider

"WriteWord Translations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XXUmd.3441$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
> operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
> errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
> altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which
> was
> marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
> switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
> relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
> were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
> computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
> calm last ...
>
> Best Regards
>
> ROWAN M.

I just had 30 minutes or so of Xtra not wanting to log me on to their
system. Kept trying to tell me my username/password was not valid on the
domain. Bastards!!

Rider

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Jed Meisterdude wrote:
> I've had no problems, working sweet as!!
> Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either (not
> that I know about at least).

it may also be related to this.
http://tinyurl.com/43p24
TelstraClear starts de-peering this week

William Bell

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:41:51 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
>operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
>errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
>altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which was
>marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
>switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
>relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
>were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
>computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
>calm last ...
>
>Best Regards
>
>ROWAN M.

YOU HAVE A VIRUS..

Paul

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Jed Meisterdude wrote:
>
>> I've had no problems, working sweet as!!
>> Dunno about xtra dns servers, never had a problem with these either
>> (not that I know about at least).

> it may also be related to this.
> http://tinyurl.com/43p24
> TelstraClear starts de-peering this week

This URL makes my IP filtering firewall go nuts,

Connection Rejected: 216.234.186.14 - Thieves/fileminer.com/Tera-byte DotCom

Paul

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:20:39 +1300, William Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:41:51 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Soon after I sent that last post, there was a brief period of normal
> >operation before Outlook Express and Internet Explorer decided to cause
> >errors in assorted DLLs. In exasperation, I turned the machine off
> >altogether and listened to some cricket on the radio for a while, which was
> >marginally less depressing than dealing with the computer. But having
> >switched it back on after giving it a two-hour rest, I am delighted and
> >relieved to report that it is once again functioning normally. So if there
> >were DNS issues before, they seem to have come right. If it was the
> >computer, a little nap seems to have done it good. Long may this period of
> >calm last ...
> >
> >Best Regards
> >
> >ROWAN M.
> >

> YOU HAVE A VIRUS..

YOU ARE A VIRUS..

Smiley Xtra Working?? LadySpudz Firefox 5 05-05-2005 08:03 AM
Why are my Menus needing an Xtra click to keep 'em Active? Anyone ? Fred-C- Computer Support 3 04-19-2005 10:02 PM
Smilie Xtra Extension Jeff Firefox 0 04-11-2005 01:02 AM
pop 3 xtra john.w.wood Computer Support 1 09-13-2004 10:23 AM
Xtra customers - be VERY careful, geopelia Computer Support 7 11-20-2003 03:25 AM

Advertisments