Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra dns lookups flaky ... or is it my router?...

xtra dns lookups flaky ... or is it my router?...

John R...

Having trouble browsing internet today (17/11/04) dns lookups keep
timing out, then few seconds later all is good again, then it stuffs
up again, then its ok.

Is this something to do with xtra's dns server not cutting it, or the
router (dynalink rta770w) being a bit dodgy?

the xtra help page says no known network problems, however have never
known it to say anything other.

Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?, does the router need to

Fishing for clues here....

John

Chris Hope

John R... wrote:

> Having trouble browsing internet today (17/11/04) dns lookups keep
> timing out, then few seconds later all is good again, then it stuffs
> up again, then its ok.
>
> Is this something to do with xtra's dns server not cutting it, or the
> router (dynalink rta770w) being a bit dodgy?
>
> the xtra help page says no known network problems, however have never
> known it to say anything other.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?, does the router need to
>
> Fishing for clues here....

Xtra's DNS server is always crap.

thing

John R... wrote:
> Having trouble browsing internet today (17/11/04) dns lookups keep
> timing out, then few seconds later all is good again, then it stuffs
> up again, then its ok.
>
> Is this something to do with xtra's dns server not cutting it, or the
> router (dynalink rta770w) being a bit dodgy?
>
> the xtra help page says no known network problems, however have never
> known it to say anything other.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?, does the router need to
>
> Fishing for clues here....
>
> John

Your not constarined in using xtra's DNS servers. You could use say
Clear's as a test. I would suggest putting up with it for 2 days, if it
is consistant, use another ISPs for 2 or 3 days if the problem goes
away, swap back to xtra's and see if it re-appears.

If it does ring xtra and complain.

regards

Thing

Gurble

On 17 Nov 2004 16:24:06 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John R...) had this
to say:

>Having trouble browsing internet today (17/11/04) dns lookups keep
>timing out, then few seconds later all is good again, then it stuffs
>up again, then its ok.
>
>Is this something to do with xtra's dns server not cutting it, or the
>router (dynalink rta770w) being a bit dodgy?
>
>the xtra help page says no known network problems, however have never
>known it to say anything other.
>
>Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?, does the router need to
>
>Fishing for clues here....
>
>John

Yup, Xtra's DNS servers have been playing up quite a bit off and on
over the last 48 hours.

URL's and Set's do not mix - DNS lookups are compulsory Rogan Dawes Java 4 05-17-2006 10:10 AM
DNS Lookups J1C Cisco 2 02-02-2006 01:54 PM
OpenSER and DNS SRV Lookups Doug VOIP 0 11-23-2005 06:52 AM
Xtra DNS continuing to resolve names after DNS moved away Richard NZ Computing 4 08-09-2005 05:27 AM
Firefox and failed DNS lookups 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan Firefox 3 12-22-2004 02:40 AM

Advertisments