Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ADSL...crap at the moment ???

ADSL...crap at the moment ???

whoisthis

I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
are so bad I have applications that are timing out.

If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

Dave - Dave.net.nz

whoisthis wrote:
> I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
> are so bad I have applications that are timing out.
> If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
> for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

which 256k product are you using?
DSL or UBS?

DoggNZ

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:08:02 +1300, whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
>are so bad I have applications that are timing out.
>
>If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
>for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

ISP?

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:08:02 +1300, whoisthis wrote:

> I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
> are so bad I have applications that are timing out.
>
> If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
> for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

yep. It was so shitty at one stage that I wa blaming the switch for my home
LAN. Just periods of pratically zero traffic and DNS timeouts.

Ron McNulty

We have a 2MB service at work, over which we try to run a VPN. For the last
week or so it has been very, very flaky.
Judging from my experience and the number of other threads reporting
problems, I think ADSL (or is it Xtra?) currently has serious problems.

Regards

Ron

"whoisthis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
> are so bad I have applications that are timing out.
>
> If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
> for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

EMB

Ron McNulty wrote:
> We have a 2MB service at work, over which we try to run a VPN. For the last
> week or so it has been very, very flaky.
> Judging from my experience and the number of other threads reporting
> problems, I think ADSL (or is it Xtra?) currently has serious problems.

Probably xtra. My home ADSL has just had the 2Mbit upgrade and it's
been awesome and trouble free thus far. Our work full rate ADSL (with
Maxnet) has run pretty faultlessly for the last few months too.

--
EMB

Ron McNulty

Are you running a VPN?

It seems that when we are using the VPN heavily, it stays up. As soon as we
leave it for more than 15 minutes, it fails.

Regards

Ron

news:cnhp1n$fhu$(E-Mail Removed)...

Ron McNulty wrote:
> Are you running a VPN?
>
> It seems that when we are using the VPN heavily, it stays up. As soon as we
> leave it for more than 15 minutes, it fails.

My wife has been VPN'd in to her work for the last 3 hours; work a bit,
yak on the phone a bit, work some more, have another glass of wine, work
some more, etc, etc and hasn't had any problems.

I often VPN out from work to other sites I support without too many
problems (and throughput tends to be slow when I get sidetracked).

I also just spoke to a friend who is a network admin for a large
corporate. They have no trouble with their ~250 users who VPN from home
to work via jetstream (all via telecom/xtra).

--
EMB

Jamie Kahn Genet

whoisthis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
> are so bad I have applications that are timing out.

Well, I'm with Orcon (but Xtra/Telecom is providing the ADSL) and I've
_never_ had anything above 60KB per second. Average is around 15KB.

> If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
> for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

I'm supposed to be changed over to the 2Mb service tomorrow. I'm told to
expect an impressive increase in bandwidth and throughput. But I'm not
holding my breath about a smooth transition. Telecom have screwed up so
many times for me recently I've lost count.

Regards,
Jamie Kahn Genet

Gordon

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:08:02 +1300, whoisthis wrote:

> I may be getting burst of 256k traffic but the outages and delays I get
> are so bad I have applications that are timing out.
>
> If Telecom can not supply an adequate service for 256K (which I pay
> for!) then how the hell is the 2Mb service going to work ?

Please try not to confuse the technolgy ADSL with how Telecom is
controlling it/where it is at today.

[ot]A rare moment of honesty JaR MCSE 4 05-26-2005 10:49 PM
a twilight zone moment jhcorey@yahoo.com ASP .Net 5 03-04-2005 11:47 PM
i am studying at the moment the manual for MSCE MS Win Professional 2000 baljit MCSE 0 05-21-2004 03:01 PM
Detect moment when user closed session NWx ASP .Net 2 02-03-2004 03:20 PM
moment by moment Ken W. DVD Video 0 09-24-2003 12:22 AM

Advertisments