Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > trademe down

Reply
Thread Tools

trademe down

 
 
Nelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2004
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:26:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nelly wrote:
>>>for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
>>>this...?

>
>> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

>
>thats because it is run by the same people.


I know, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning. I think I've had
problems with Trademe since Sunday. and it has affected an auction of
mine.


Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Gunson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2004
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

>
>
> thats because it is run by the same people.



.... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
reach the support page to send an e-mail
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2004
Paul Gunson wrote:
>>> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.


>> thats because it is run by the same people.


> ... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
> reach the support page to send an e-mail


you could always ring their 0900 number.... yeah right.

if desperate to contact them, look up the domain details and ring the
contact number, or email the technical contact.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nelly
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2004
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:48:26 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paul Gunson wrote:
>>>> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

>
>>> thats because it is run by the same people.

>
>> ... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
>> reach the support page to send an e-mail

>
>you could always ring their 0900 number.... yeah right.
>
>if desperate to contact them, look up the domain details and ring the
>contact number, or email the technical contact.


This was on the Ihug MOTD...

Unscheduled Outage: TradeMe.co.nz [ ETA : None ]
Thu Nov 18 14:21:38 2004
Some customer may be experiencing problems getting through the
trademe.co.nz website.

Our Engineers are currently working with TradeMe.co.nz to resolve this
problem.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

I hope that those of us who have auctions will have the auction
automatically extended.


Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alex Axolotl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2004
Nelly wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 09:48:26 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Paul Gunson wrote:
>>>>> The Old Friends site is doing the same thing.

>>
>>>> thats because it is run by the same people.

>>
>>> ... hmm... trademe still won't load, nearly 3 days - too bad i can't
>>> reach the support page to send an e-mail

>>
>>you could always ring their 0900 number.... yeah right.
>>
>>if desperate to contact them, look up the domain details and ring the
>>contact number, or email the technical contact.

>
> This was on the Ihug MOTD...
>
> Unscheduled Outage: TradeMe.co.nz [ ETA : None ]
> Thu Nov 18 14:21:38 2004
> Some customer may be experiencing problems getting through the
> trademe.co.nz website.
>
> Our Engineers are currently working with TradeMe.co.nz to resolve this
> problem.
>
> Sorry for any inconvenience.
>
> I hope that those of us who have auctions will have the auction
> automatically extended.
>
>
> Nelly.
> If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours


Are these issues with Trademe anything to do with this ?

http://tinyurl.com/43p24

TelstraClear starts de-peering this week
ISPs 'forced' to sign-up for commercial offering

Juha Saarinen, Auckland

Unfazed by network operator protests, TelstraClear last week went ahead with
its controversial decision to remove peering at the Auckland (APE) and
Wellington (WIX) internet exchanges.

The peering, or exchange of internet traffic, arrangements were inherited
when Telstra bought Clear Communications. The latter provider saw peering
as a way to increase the efficiency and value of its network in New
Zealand. Peering makes it easier for networks to connect to each other and
brings other benefits such as shorter and more diverse routes. Networks
peering at one or both exchanges can then decide whether or not to exchange
data with one another for free or by paying one another.

<snip>

Questions from Computerworld to the Commerce Commission asking whether
internet peering is being investigated or monitored here have so far gone
unanswered.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Marshall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2004
Nelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This was on the Ihug MOTD...
>
>Unscheduled Outage: TradeMe.co.nz [ ETA : None ]
>Thu Nov 18 14:21:38 2004
>Some customer may be experiencing problems getting through the
>trademe.co.nz website.
>
>Our Engineers are currently working with TradeMe.co.nz to resolve this
>problem.


IHUG is having some trouble with its hardware in Wellington, so any
web-sites physically hosted in Wellington seem to be failing for its
customers. That includes Trade Me - which probably accounts for a big
chunk of Wellington-sourced Internet traffic for the ISP. If I dial up
through Telstra-Clear, Trade Me is fine. If I dial up through IHUG,
I'm lucky to get a bit of yellow and a few malformed tabs and a
complete rendered page is out of the question.

And, since I'm in the South Island, a lot of other web-sites are
affected - perhaps because a lot of IHUG's South Island traffic is
routed through IHUG's Wellington hardware.

That seems to be what IHUG's help-desk is saying, anyway.

-Steve M
 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2004
Excellent, long may it stay down. It may keep the scammers and overprice
dreamers off for a while.


"Paul Gunson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cndpo4$9b2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> for about a day now.... just loads incredibly slow.. anybody else notice
> this...? i have a hard-drive auction that's finishing today too



 
Reply With Quote
 
whoisthis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2004
In article <coqmv6$f9m$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Excellent, long may it stay down. It may keep the scammers and overprice
> dreamers off for a while.
>


as well as the people selling:
Stolen goods
Pirated music
Pirated software
Illegally imported porn



Then there are those who are:
Acting as a business who do not pay taxes
On a benefit and running an "online" business
Acting as 2nd hand dealers without being registered as such
Import good into NZ and not pay taxes, ie the people who have friends
who travel to Hong Kong regularly and get them to bring in new laptops
minis the boxes etc and not declaring them.

Good news is I think the IRD, customs, and internal affairs are now
seeing this as a huge pool of unpaid taxes etc and will probably be
doing a request for all the trading records of everyone.... I suspect
there will be tens of millions of dollars in taxes to collect as well as
millions in fines, etc etc.

This of course may cause the governmemt to crack down on the likes of
trademe. I know the police now can't be bothered with all the scams on
trademe, they just shrug their shoulders and say tough, so many
complaints about them that they can no longer be bothered.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TradeMe is down... Jamie Kahn Genet NZ Computing 16 04-22-2006 12:04 PM
trademe site down? graviton NZ Computing 9 11-28-2005 01:46 AM
Trademe Down asterix NZ Computing 3 03-30-2005 08:39 PM
Trademe down ? Mike_P NZ Computing 8 02-24-2005 09:34 PM
Trademe down @ 7:15am Nik Coughin NZ Computing 3 11-01-2004 07:59 PM



Advertisments