Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Arctic Ceramique ?

Arctic Ceramique ?

GraB

Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?

Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

Matthew Poole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
>Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?

*SNIP*
I'm using it on an A64-3400, and it seems to be doing just fine. When
it finally stabilises, which can take a couple of weeks, the CPU
temperature is generally very constant.
I'm using a TT all-copper heat sink, and to the best of my knowledge the
CPU has never gone above 42 degrees. That's even doing a full
buildworld under FreeBSD. I wouldn't imagine you'll have too many
problems with an XP3200.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

S Roby

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
>Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
>
>Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
>XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

"if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."

"Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
to work very much better than generic grease."

He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

GraB

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:35:42 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)le (S Roby) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
>>Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
>>
>>Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
>>XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

>http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
>
>"if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
>than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
>the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."
>
>"Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
>to work very much better than generic grease."
>
>He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

According to this review:
http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/r...d/index.shtml]
There is a significant difference between the different options.

100% load temps range from 30.4 to 38.4.

Patrick Dunford

In article <IiCmd.3136$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
Nov 2004 07:35:42 GMT, S Roby <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
> >Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
> >
> >Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
> >XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

> http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
>
> "if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
> than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
> the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."
>
> "Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
> to work very much better than generic grease."
>
> He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

Grease is thermal conductivity, however the actual removal of heat is
done by the heatsink/fan. You can get away without grease, but not
without a heatsink.

T-Boy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> In article <IiCmd.3136$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
> Nov 2004 07:35:42 GMT, S Roby <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >Anyone used this? Seems well rated and half the price of Arctic
> > >Silver 5, also well rated. Any experience, anyone?
> > >
> > >Probably can't go wrong with the Ceramique. About to install an
> > >XP2400+ with Zalman AL-CU 7000 heatsink.

> > http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm
> >
> > "if you think any particular grease is going to cause your CPU to run more
> > than a few degrees Celsius cooler than any other grease, though, then assuming
> > the grease is properly applied, you're dreaming."
> >
> > "Just be aware that it's not magic, and don't expect the most expensive stuff
> > to work very much better than generic grease."
> >
> > He compared a few types of compond & vegemite & toothpaste

> Grease is thermal conductivity, however the actual removal of heat is
> done by the heatsink/fan. You can get away without grease, but not
> without a heatsink.

You run your car without oil? Water?

To exagerate the point, try putting a piece of paper between CPU and
heatsink. It'll shutdown in a matter of seconds.

Thermal grease makes a *big* difference to heat conductivity - and is
essential on todays processors.

--
Duncan