Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > ORCON UBS AND HELPDESK UPDATE

ORCON UBS AND HELPDESK UPDATE

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet

Hi there Everyone.

Currently we are working through several projects:

- UBS provisioning and troubleshooting
- Helpdesk performance levels
- Rollout of new customer service centre.

UBS PROVISIONING

We are currently around 1/2 way through provisioning the list of
several thousand customers that we have had sign up for our UBS
service.
When UBS was first proposed to us, we assumed that it would be a
fairly simple process for us to get our users moved across from
Telecom JetStream.
However, this has not been the case, and the UBS moves have been a
very manual process with us having to perform many tasks to get each
customer working.
Telecom is only able to move a maximum of 90 customers across per
working day, or around 3,000 per month - we have now been moving
customers over for 1-2 months.

There have been some issues with Telecom disconnecting customers from
JetStream, and then not re-connecting them to Orcon UBS. This is as
frustrating for us as for the customers. As soon as this has happened
we have begged Telecom to get customers back up and runnning, but in a
small amount of cases, customers have been left without a usable
connection for a week or more. We believe that we have developed a
process that minimises these problems going foward, although we are
really at the mercy of Telecom on this issue.

Some users have reported unstable ping times and througput issues on
UBS - this is a result of the 'power' users moving to UBS first and
congesting the links between us and Telecom (which have to be a fixed
size, and Telecom won't increase for us). Based on the fact that our
JetStart service did not have problems, we expect that once the
majority of our users are moved over, these problems will go away
because the 'mom and dad' users will balance out the 'power users'.
All ISPs including Xtra have to contend with these congestion issues
if users pull too much traffic all at the same time, as the average
allocated capacity for DSL users is the same for all ISPs.

HELPDESK PERFORMANCE LEVELS

In anticipation of the load that our helpdesk would come under because
of our UBS promotion and other advertising campaigns, we increased the
number of simultaneous helpdesk people on our team from 12 people to
26 over the last couple of months.

However, our call volumes have actually quadrupled because of UBS
provisioning issues, and therefore we are on the back foot at present.
Wait times on the helpdesk have increased from less than a minute to
around 1/2 an hour, and we are having difficulty getting emails
answered.

We believe that as soon as the majority of our UBS users are
provisioned, that we will have more than enough helpdesk staff and our
service levels will rise back to 'excellent'. We expect this to be
somewhere in early December, and hopefully sooner.

ROLLOUT OF NEW CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERFACE

We have been developing a new online customer management system for
the last year and a half, and are just starting to roll this out now.
Our old cusotmer interface on the website was offline for part of last
week, and we apologise for the fact that this was slightly longer than
expected.

Services such as personal websites, domain registration, email
services, ordering DSL etc, will all be integrated into the members
section over the coming couple of weeks. All the ability is there in
the system now, but we just need to rollout and manage the interface
in an orderly fashion.

thank you for your support during this period.

Regards
Seeby Woodhouse

MD Orcon Internet

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> [...]
> service levels will rise back to 'excellent'. We expect this to be
> somewhere in early December, and hopefully sooner.
>
> ROLLOUT OF NEW CUSTOMER SERVICE INTERFACE
>
> We have been developing a new online customer management system for
> the last year and a half, and are just starting to roll this out now.
> Our old cusotmer interface on the website was offline for part of last
> week, and we apologise for the fact that this was slightly longer than
> expected.
>
> Services such as personal websites, domain registration, email
> services, ordering DSL etc, will all be integrated into the members
> section over the coming couple of weeks. All the ability is there in
> the system now, but we just need to rollout and manage the interface
> in an orderly fashion.
>

> thank you for your support during this period.

Thanks for that Seeby, there has been quite a lot of discussion in here
regarding UBS and Orcon, and it is good to see you responding personally.

Cheers
Chris

~misfit~

Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:
> Hi there Everyone.

<Snip>

Thanks for the status report Seeby. My latency has improved over the last
two days but is still twice as slow as it was.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

XPD

"Mr Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I second that. You don't see Ms Teresa Gattung/Telecom or Ms Rosemary
> Howard/Telstraclear (or even Ms Annette Presley/Quicksilver, Jeeze
> anyone smell a conspiracy!) in here mixing it with the masses. Keep
> up the good work.

Err... Annette Presley has nothing to do with QSI.... thats Slingshot IIRC.

But yeah, its good when the ISP keeps the public informe dof whats going on

mark

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: ORCON UBS AND HELPDESK UPDATE
> From: "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>

> "Mr Bond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I second that. You don't see Ms Teresa Gattung/Telecom or Ms
>> Rosemary Howard/Telstraclear (or even Ms Annette Presley/Quicksilver,
>> Jeeze anyone smell a conspiracy!) in here mixing it with the masses.
>> Keep up the good work.

> Err... Annette Presley has nothing to do with QSI.... thats Slingshot
> IIRC.
>
> But yeah, its good when the ISP keeps the public informe dof whats
> going on

And I third that. I personally find I'm a lot more tolerant of problems
when I know what the hell is happening in the background. It's dead silence
that normally ****es me off

Brendan

On 15 Nov 2004 19:02:42 -0800, Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet wrote:

> Hi there Everyone.
>
> Currently we are working through several projects:
>
> - UBS provisioning and troubleshooting
> - Helpdesk performance levels
> - Rollout of new customer service centre.

Thanks Seeby, this goes a long way towards restoring faith in Orcon for
many people I think as we can see the problems are known at the top and are
being worked on.

I hope it doesn't last too long, and i hope you understand that some of the
comments on here are more frustration than malice.

--

.... Brendan

The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,'' either is asked to
`behave' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn't it
terrific!''

Note: All my comments are copyright 16/11/2004 5:47:59 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.