Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > looking for a cheap 802.11g bridge

looking for a cheap 802.11g bridge

JohnO

Hi All,

I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to locate
upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd just
get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices, which
I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the extra
cost of all that?

Any recommendations?

TIA,
JohnO

jim

JohnO wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to locate
> upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd just
> get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
> However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
> full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices, which
> I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the extra
> cost of all that?
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> JohnO

Theres a Linksys G Bridge
or netgear have the wge101
However often access points have a bridge mode and are cheaper than the
dedicated bridge products

DoggNZ

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:40:43 +1300, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to locate
>upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd just
>get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
>However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
>full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices, which
>I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the extra
>cost of all that?
>
>Any recommendations?
>
>TIA,
>JohnO

I wonder if something like this would do the trick? It's designed for
Xbox|Playstation but worth a look

http://www.linksys.com/international...id=21&ipid=358

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Jon Frere

Don't seem to be many cheap ones around - I guess it depends on what you
call cheap! Here's a couple:
The other option might be to put an access point downstairs and just use a
802.11g network adapter (USB / PCI / PCMCIA) in the upstairs device.

http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView...dproduct=71498

Cheers,

Jon

"JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vn9md.2546$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to locate
> upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd just
> get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
> However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
> full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices,

which
> I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the extra
> cost of all that?
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> TIA,
> JohnO

JohnO

"Jon Frere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newspbmd.2598$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't seem to be many cheap ones around - I guess it depends on what you
> call cheap! Here's a couple:
> The other option might be to put an access point downstairs and just use a
> 802.11g network adapter (USB / PCI / PCMCIA) in the upstairs device.
>
> http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=186148
> http://www.datadog.co.nz/cs/prodView...dproduct=71498
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jon
>

> "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vn9md.2546$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to

locate
> > upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd

just
> > get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
> > However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be

selling
> > full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices,

> which
> > I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the

extra
> > cost of all that?
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > TIA,
> > JohnO

Yeah, I would go for an adapter as they *are* cheap, but the device only has
a LAN connector - no PCMCIA or USB.

Cheers

JohnO

JohnO

"DoggNZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:40:43 +1300, "JohnO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I have a single network device (it's an HTPC client) that I want to

locate
> >upstairs, but there's no easy way to cable up to there. I figured I'd

just
> >get a 802.11g wireless bridge and plug the device's LAN cable into that.
> >However I can't seem to find such a device. Everybody seems to be selling
> >full blown 802.11g router/4 port switch/Wireless Access point devices,

which
> >I guess can be run in a bridge mode, but do I really need to pay the

extra
> >cost of all that?
> >
> >Any recommendations?
> >
> >TIA,
> >JohnO
> >

> I wonder if something like this would do the trick? It's designed for
> Xbox|Playstation but worth a look
>
> http://www.linksys.com/international...id=21&ipid=358

Yeah, that looks like the ticket, assuming there's nothing game specific
about it's traffic management.

EMB

JohnO wrote:

> Yeah, I would go for an adapter as they *are* cheap, but the device only has
> a LAN connector - no PCMCIA or USB.

The DSE 802.11g access point definitely works as a bridge, and I think
the 802.11b one does too (part #XH7988 - $11

--
EMB

JohnO

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnbl7q$j5n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnO wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I would go for an adapter as they *are* cheap, but the device only

has
> > a LAN connector - no PCMCIA or USB.

> The DSE 802.11g access point definitely works as a bridge, and I think
> the 802.11b one does too (part #XH7988 - $11
>

> --
> EMB

Cheers - I'll check 'em out. It must be 802.11g. It's for streaming video at
around 6Mb/sec. 802..11b won't quite do it.

JohnO

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnbqrs$neh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JohnO wrote:
> >
> > Cheers - I'll check 'em out. It must be 802.11g. It's for streaming

video at
> > around 6Mb/sec. 802..11b won't quite do it.

> I've got 2 DSE XH8175 802.11g access points running in bridge mode quite
> happily so that should solve your problem (and DSE lets you return stuff
> no questions asked if it won't).
>
> --
> EMB

Great - thanks for the info.

If you attach a regular lan device directly to the AP, do you use a regular
patch cable or a x-over cable? What about if you attach a switch?

What sort of data rate are you getting under what condiftions (intervening
walls, distance etc)?

Thanks,
JohnO

EMB