Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dead DSE ADSL router :-(

Dead DSE ADSL router :-(

-=rjh=-

Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.

What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
is out of warranty.

Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
refuses to let go)

TIA

The Other Guy

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
> I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
> one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>
> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
> is out of warranty.
>
> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
> refuses to let go)

There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
apart easily enough.

The Other Guy

Italian Jobs

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:04:32 +1300, The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>-=rjh=- wrote:
>> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
>> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
>> I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
>> one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>>
>> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
>> is out of warranty.
>>
>> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
>> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
>> refuses to let go)

>There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
>clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
>apart easily enough.
>
>The Other Guy

related question - did a dumb thing myself - Linksys wireless router
on default 192.168.1.1
Changed SSID, saved config. Turned of DHCP, saved config and then
bloody thing wouldn't let me get back in. I guess it picked up DHCP
address and is on some other IP.
Q- how do I determine the new IP address (as handed out my DHCP
server) so that I can get back in and set up the securities?

JedMeister

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:419875fa$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last I
> saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the one I
> set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>
> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it is
> out of warranty.
>
> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you open
> these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that refuses to
> let go)
>
> TIA

There is supposed to be a reset pinhold button in the front of the modem
case - try this first although it did not work in my case.

Refresh the firmware should do the trick -scew is in the center (maybe under
the sticker or something).

The most difficult bit (which I had), is that you must refresh the firmware
from DOS (and not a DOS window). The firmware needs a couple of writeable
Mb - so you need to setup a ram disk when you boot up in dos mode.

Also, you need to join a couple of jumpers with a wire before doing the
update - i just used a paper clip, dodgy but did the job.

Bob McLellan

I had a Dynalink router like that and it got fixed by the agent with a
firmware update.

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
> I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
> one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>
> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
> is out of warranty.
>
> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
> refuses to let go)
>
> TIA

-=rjh=-

Bob McLellan wrote:
> I had a Dynalink router like that and it got fixed by the agent with a
> firmware update.
>
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
>> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the
>> last I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or
>> the one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>>
>> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but
>> it is out of warranty.
>>
>> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
>> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
>> refuses to let go)
>>
>> TIA

Fixed it!

OK, for those that are interested:

Download bootable CDROM image from
http://www.origo-repair.org.uk/index.htm, this has very recent firmware
from JMK on it, which has a heap of features. This firmware supposedly
has more features than the Billion firmware previously mentioned, and
has been included on the CD with the developer's permission. I don't
know about the legality of using the firmware with a DSE router. It is
certainly a lot more recent (October 2004) than DSE's last firmware release.

You don't need to open the DSE router case to fit the jumper, you can
pry the right front corner apart far enough to slip a jumper in with
long nose pliers. Tricky, but it can be done. The case is amazingly
flexible, and just clips together.

Boot a PC from the CDROM (Intel chipset preferred, and that worked
here), select the JMK firmware, then plug in the router via USB and
power it up. Follow the instructions to upgrade the firmware. When it
completes, you've got a working router again. Easy as. Default IP
address is 10.0.0.2, admin password is epicrouter (note these settings
all different from the DSE firmware).

You get to go from a very basic, very cheap router to one with a tonne
of features not found in the DSE firmware, including ability to email
alerts, DMZ, intrusion detection, SPI, URL blocking, and so on, and a
reasonably nice interface. With a working reset button again

Seems like there are quite a few different firmwares available for the
Connexant device, and flashing the router is so easy I might have a play
with some others to see what they look like.

cheers

-=rjh=-

The Other Guy wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>
>> Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
>> changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the
>> last I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or
>> the one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>>
>> What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but
>> it is out of warranty.
>>
>> Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
>> open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
>> refuses to let go)

> There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
> clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
> apart easily enough.
>
> The Other Guy

No screw on mine, only the molding sprue - I've removed the label to
check what is underneath. As it turns out, you don't need to undo the
case completely anyway.

BTW your reply didn't show up in my newsfeed until 22/11 - I wonder why?
that is almost a week!

-=rjh=-

Italian Jobs wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:04:32 +1300, The Other Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>-=rjh=- wrote:
>>
>>>Hardware reset my DSE ADSL router (XH1149 - Connexant) this morning,
>>>changed the LAN IP address then saved and rebooted it. That was the last
>>>I saw of it, now it doesn't have either the default IP address or the
>>>one I set it to, and it doesn't respond to the reset button at all.
>>>
>>>What are my options - this is the first time I've ever reset it, but it
>>>is out of warranty.
>>>
>>>Is reflashing the firmware likely to fix this? and if so, how do you
>>>open these things (there is a pillar in the centre of the case that
>>>refuses to let go)

>>There is a single screw in the middle, but the outer edges of the lid
>>clip in to the lower part. Bend this a little to unclip. My XH1169 came
>>apart easily enough.
>>
>>The Other Guy

> related question - did a dumb thing myself - Linksys wireless router
> on default 192.168.1.1
> Changed SSID, saved config. Turned of DHCP, saved config and then
> bloody thing wouldn't let me get back in. I guess it picked up DHCP
> address and is on some other IP.
> Q- how do I determine the new IP address (as handed out my DHCP
> server) so that I can get back in and set up the securities?

Do you know the range of IP addresses that the DHCP server will hand
out? My Trendnet router has an interface where you can see which IP
addresses have been handed out, and to which devices, which is really
helpful.

Or you could just reset the Linksys and start from scratch?

cheers

EMB

-=rjh=- wrote:

> Do you know the range of IP addresses that the DHCP server will hand
> out? My Trendnet router has an interface where you can see which IP
> addresses have been handed out, and to which devices, which is really
> helpful.
>
> Or you could just reset the Linksys and start from scratch?

Or you could use arp or winarp to define a known static IP for it's MAC
address, then get into it that way.

--
EMB