Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug 256 DSL and online gaming (Ping Spikes)

Ihug 256 DSL and online gaming (Ping Spikes)

John

Hi all, I have just started playing online again (Battlefield 1942) after a
few weeks and I am getting massive ping spikes and packet losses.

Absolutely nothing has changed in my setup (Software or hardward apart from
the usual Windoze / AV updates).

Now, about every ten minutes or so I basically stop in the game for about 30
seconds. I do not get disconnected but usually watch as everything around me
turns into "slide show" mode. After a while everything goes back to normal
and I can play again...

I am using Ihugs 256 DSL, any suggestions welcome as it is ruining my online
gaming experience!

Thanks in advance

DoggNZ

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:46:21 +1300, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all, I have just started playing online again (Battlefield 1942) after a
>few weeks and I am getting massive ping spikes and packet losses.
>
>Absolutely nothing has changed in my setup (Software or hardward apart from
>the usual Windoze / AV updates).
>
>Now, about every ten minutes or so I basically stop in the game for about 30
>seconds. I do not get disconnected but usually watch as everything around me
>turns into "slide show" mode. After a while everything goes back to normal
>and I can play again...
>
>I am using Ihugs 256 DSL, any suggestions welcome as it is ruining my online
>gaming experience!
>
>Thanks in advance

I was getting the same thing with Orcon since I changed to USB on
Thursday. *Seems* to have come right now.

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

Starkey

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:57:10 +1300, DoggNZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:46:21 +1300, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all, I have just started playing online again (Battlefield 1942) after a
>>few weeks and I am getting massive ping spikes and packet losses.
>>
>>Absolutely nothing has changed in my setup (Software or hardward apart from
>>the usual Windoze / AV updates).
>>
>>Now, about every ten minutes or so I basically stop in the game for about 30
>>seconds. I do not get disconnected but usually watch as everything around me
>>turns into "slide show" mode. After a while everything goes back to normal
>>and I can play again...
>>
>>I am using Ihugs 256 DSL, any suggestions welcome as it is ruining my online
>>gaming experience!
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>

>I was getting the same thing with Orcon since I changed to USB on
>Thursday. *Seems* to have come right now.

im with orcon too but im on battlenet and im still spiking

DoggNZ

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:46:21 +1300, "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi all, I have just started playing online again (Battlefield 1942) after a
>>few weeks and I am getting massive ping spikes and packet losses.
>>
>>Absolutely nothing has changed in my setup (Software or hardward apart from
>>the usual Windoze / AV updates).
>>
>>Now, about every ten minutes or so I basically stop in the game for about 30
>>seconds. I do not get disconnected but usually watch as everything around me
>>turns into "slide show" mode. After a while everything goes back to normal
>>and I can play again...
>>
>>I am using Ihugs 256 DSL, any suggestions welcome as it is ruining my online
>>gaming experience!
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>

>I was getting the same thing with Orcon since I changed to USB on
>Thursday. *Seems* to have come right now.

Woops...I meant UBS

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off

XPD

news:H4Sld.1836$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, I have just started playing online again (Battlefield 1942) after

> few weeks and I am getting massive ping spikes and packet losses.
>
> Absolutely nothing has changed in my setup (Software or hardward apart

from
> the usual Windoze / AV updates).
>
> Now, about every ten minutes or so I basically stop in the game for about

30
> seconds. I do not get disconnected but usually watch as everything around

me
> turns into "slide show" mode. After a while everything goes back to normal
> and I can play again...
>
> I am using Ihugs 256 DSL, any suggestions welcome as it is ruining my

online
> gaming experience!
>
> Thanks in advance

Welcome to UBS from what ive heard..... Telecom dont care what latency
people get on it. Long as you can browse and download close to 256k, they
wont do anything.

John

Thanks everyone, yet another good Telecon service
news:(E-Mail Removed)...