Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SATA drivers, motherboards and Windows

SATA drivers, motherboards and Windows

David Preece

Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

Cheers,
Dave

thing

David Preece wrote:
> Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
> that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
> Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

It is going to depend on which Windows, chances are I would bet
everything up to and prob incl XP with need that floppy.

regards

Thing

Geronimo

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
>
>Cheers,
>Dave

Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy, may be you need some
sort of Computer course..

Bret

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:38:15 +1300, Geronimo wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
>>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
>>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Dave

> Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy, may be you need some
> sort of Computer course..

ROTFLMAO and anyone who heard your XP install saga will join in, thanks
for that Roger.
Look here everyone classic humour from the master.

Geronimo

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:48:13 +1300, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:38:15 +1300, Geronimo wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
>>>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
>>>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>Dave

>> Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy, may be you need some
>> sort of Computer course..

>ROTFLMAO and anyone who heard your XP install saga will join in, thanks
>for that Roger.
>Look here everyone classic humour from the master.

Sorry I had no saga loading XP, its the idiots here that tried to make out I
did..

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:09 +1300 was when David Preece
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
>Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

No, I haven't come across any. However, I was using the SATA GigaRAID
solution which worked fine using the drivers off the CD that came with
the motherboard.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Mr Scebe

"David Preece" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9NYkd.972$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
> that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors? I.e. can I install
> Windows without having to put some dodgy driver in from a floppy disk?

It sounds like the mass storage driver isn't included on the Windows CD, in
which case you will need to supply one from disk. Check the hardware
compatability list on the MS site - though i would have thought that Linux
people would have had no problem with delving into the OS at some depth
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/cat...5-8bfeb164df9e

--
Mr Scebe
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

David Preece

Geronimo wrote:
> Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy

Well, isn't it kinda crap? Like, here's the PC industry trying
desperately hard to shed it's "still derived from a 1984 IBM AT" image,
and twenty years later I need a floppy to make something work.

I wasn't planning on putting a floppy in this thing. Why should I? The
answer, as it turns out, is that I need it ... once (in theory) ... to
install the OS. Bag of crap.

Dave

Patrick Dunford

In article <YJ%kd.1012$(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Fri, 12
Nov 2004 22:52:32 +1300, David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)>
says...
> Geronimo wrote:
> > Nothing at all wrong with loading a driver from a Floppy

> Well, isn't it kinda crap? Like, here's the PC industry trying
> desperately hard to shed it's "still derived from a 1984 IBM AT" image,
> and twenty years later I need a floppy to make something work.
>
> I wasn't planning on putting a floppy in this thing. Why should I? The
> answer, as it turns out, is that I need it ... once (in theory) ... to
> install the OS. Bag of crap.

It means that for your new hardware, the old OS release does not have the
drivers. A HDD driver is essential if you want to be able to use that HDD
during installation, we don't usually think about this because most HDDs
are already compatible, but these ones aren't.

Now as Roger says you could slipstream your drivers into the installation
CD and no floppy would be necessary.

Floppies are still used for a lot of things like installing Windows over
a network and suchlike.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <9NYkd.972$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Preece <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know if the nForce3 based motherboards have SATA connectors
>that look to the OS like ordinary ATA connectors?

I think there's some BIOS setting that will make your SATA look like
PATA.