Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon strikes again part 2.5 IP address change

Orcon strikes again part 2.5 IP address change

Chris Mayhew

Just when I though there was nothing else Orcon could %$#@ up they
decided to change my IP without telling me.

Even though I canceled my UBS they went ahead with the change over.

I spent 1/2 hour waiting on someone to answer the phone this afternoon
to tell me that the change over was taking place and thats why the ADSL
was down. I was told it takes 4 to 6 hours (I don't know if that
includes tea breaks) but no one thought to tell me that the IP was going
to be changed - it says on the email that the log in is the only thing
to be changed.

I only found out cause I though I'd try the accounts page (via dial up,
which for some reason they though I'd want canceled now that I had UBS)
which just happens to be working again (was not meant to be up till
Monday) and there it was - the reason why I my ADSL won't work.

On the positive side, I can now confirm that Orcon have %$#@ up
everything they have ever done to my account - except for signing me up
- I think that was my %$#@ up LOL

Are these people all high on Acid or what <sigh>

As a matter of interest the IP is 60.234.132.xxx

I might give a whirl.....

Collector»NZ

Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 19:07:
> Just when I though there was nothing else Orcon could %$#@ up they
> decided to change my IP without telling me.
>
> Even though I canceled my UBS they went ahead with the change over.
>
> I spent 1/2 hour waiting on someone to answer the phone this afternoon
> to tell me that the change over was taking place and thats why the ADSL
> was down. I was told it takes 4 to 6 hours (I don't know if that
> includes tea breaks) but no one thought to tell me that the IP was going
> to be changed - it says on the email that the log in is the only thing
> to be changed.
>
> I only found out cause I though I'd try the accounts page (via dial up,
> which for some reason they though I'd want canceled now that I had UBS)
> which just happens to be working again (was not meant to be up till
> Monday) and there it was - the reason why I my ADSL won't work.
>
> On the positive side, I can now confirm that Orcon have %$#@ up
> everything they have ever done to my account - except for signing me up
> - I think that was my %$#@ up LOL
>
> Are these people all high on Acid or what <sigh>
>
> As a matter of interest the IP is 60.234.132.xxx
>
> I might give a whirl.....

What difference does it make that the IP is different, are you not
getting your IP from the ISP or did you just assume an IP.

I am fast getting the impression that you are the sort of customer an
ISP actually dosnt want.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Chris Mayhew

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 19:07:
>
>> Just when I though there was nothing else Orcon could %$#@ up they
>> decided to change my IP without telling me.
>>
>> Even though I canceled my UBS they went ahead with the change over.
>>
>> I spent 1/2 hour waiting on someone to answer the phone this afternoon
>> to tell me that the change over was taking place and thats why the
>> ADSL was down. I was told it takes 4 to 6 hours (I don't know if that
>> includes tea breaks) but no one thought to tell me that the IP was
>> going to be changed - it says on the email that the log in is the only
>> thing to be changed.
>>
>> I only found out cause I though I'd try the accounts page (via dial
>> up, which for some reason they though I'd want canceled now that I had
>> UBS) which just happens to be working again (was not meant to be up
>> till Monday) and there it was - the reason why I my ADSL won't work.
>>
>> On the positive side, I can now confirm that Orcon have %$#@ up
>> everything they have ever done to my account - except for signing me
>> up - I think that was my %$#@ up LOL
>>
>> Are these people all high on Acid or what <sigh>
>>
>> As a matter of interest the IP is 60.234.132.xxx
>>
>> I might give a whirl.....
>>

> What difference does it make that the IP is different, are you not
> getting your IP from the ISP or did you just assume an IP.
>
> I am fast getting the impression that you are the sort of customer an
> ISP actually dosnt want.

The static IP was changed and I was not told.

The fact that I was not told is the problem. It was only by luck that I
found out that information.

What I was told was that only the log in ID was changed i.e
@fastadsl.net.nz was to be changed to @orcon.net.nz

As far as your impressions are concerned, well you can only have
misunderstood me. Orcon just hasn't answered some questions and I was
not given all the information I required for the UBS change over despite
the fact that I wanted to cancel it, actually, I was given
dis-information which is even worse.

I consider myself a good customer, I always pay my bills on time and in
full and only ever complain when I feel I really need to. In the case
of Orcon it would be fair to say that "everything that could go wrong
has gone wrong" and this applies to everything they have done when it
comes to human intervention on my account.

There has been 1 relatively minor technical issue which got resolved.
This was to do with mail. It just happened that they were planning to
upgrade something which in turn, just happened to solve some of the
problems I was having with Pegasus which I hadn't ever had with any
other mail servers. In the end I switched to Thunderbird which I am
quite happy with.

The only other technical complaint I have had was the news service,
which I have resolved by finding an alternative provider.

I also had an issue with the accounts department who told me 3 times on
the phone (3 different people) and once in email that my credit card
details were deleted from their system, then, some weeks later when I
added a dial up account they sent me out the paper work to sett up the
billing with my credit card details on the form as a billing option.
That really ****ed me off, no one likes being lied to, and I find it
hard to believe that 4 separate people could make the same mistake.

If Orcon, or you, consider me the kind of customer an ISP doesn't want,
Orcon only have themselves to blame.

I actually decided to change to UBS because it would allow my ISP to
make more money out of the service they were providing me which I felt
would make it easier for them to provide a better service AND make a
profit. The fact that there is no data cap doesn't matter to me as I've
never gone over the 3GB limit of the jetsurf account I had. I have done
this with some cost to me - the change over happened 3 days into my
Telecom billing cycle which was over a month after I signed up - then
theres all the agro I have had to endure.

I doubt that they have ever made any money out of me considering the
amount of time they have spent trying to straighten out the mistakes
they have made.

I joined Orcon because they are a New Zealand company and many people
speak highly of them.

My experience has been the complete opposite to what I expected and I
reserve the right to make that known.

Did you notice the subject ? " .... part 2.5 ....." as in "Hot shots
part 5 and a 1/4" or what ever it was. I'm trying to see the funny side
to all of this, but your comments are not helping, and if you take that
personally you may be in need of a humor implant

Collector»NZ

Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
the pool for the new plan

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Chris Mayhew

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
> Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
> things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
> the pool for the new plan

As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I don't
automatically assume I need more.

I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend Orcon's
honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you think you
have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes to networking.
I would expect you to know more than me about this subject as I
understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.

The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face value,
which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be able to do.

Collector»NZ

Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:55:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
>> Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a
>> few things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed
>> in the pool for the new plan
>>

> As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
> needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I don't
> automatically assume I need more.
>
> I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
> something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend Orcon's
> honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you think you
> have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes to networking.
> I would expect you to know more than me about this subject as I
> understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.
>
> The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face value,
> which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be able to do.

Nothing personel and as to defending Orcon, not likely at the moment. I
have my own issue under resolution with them at the moment, unlike you I
am not yelling in here foaming at the mouth, I am dealing with my
supplier and keeping it between us, if it goes bad I will report it, if
it goes right I will report it.

We all know the ADSL plans situation is an issue (mainly timing) at the
moment and we all expect a few issues because of the organisations
involved. Your posts have unfourtunatly not added anything to the
situation other than demonstarte your lack of paitence and skills.

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Chris Mayhew

Collector»NZ wrote:
> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:55:
>
>> Collector»NZ wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:14:
>>> Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a
>>> few things to change including my IP so that I end up with one
>>> managed in the pool for the new plan
>>>

>> As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
>> needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I
>> don't automatically assume I need more.
>>
>> I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
>> something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend Orcon's
>> honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you think
>> you have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes to
>> networking. I would expect you to know more than me about this
>> subject as I understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.
>>
>> The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face value,
>> which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be able to do.
>>

> Nothing personel and as to defending Orcon, not likely at the moment. I
> have my own issue under resolution with them at the moment, unlike you I
> am not yelling in here foaming at the mouth, I am dealing with my
> supplier and keeping it between us, if it goes bad I will report it, if
> it goes right I will report it.
>
> We all know the ADSL plans situation is an issue (mainly timing) at the
> moment and we all expect a few issues because of the organisations
> involved. Your posts have unfourtunatly not added anything to the
> situation other than demonstarte your lack of paitence and skills.

I have been dealing with my supplier too, it has gone bad, time after
time, so I am reporting it here. I feel compelled to do so, just like
agent Smith

I do not have a lack of patience ( LOL, you really DO NOT know me), I
have simply lost mine when it comes to Orcon. There is a difference.

As far as my skills are concerned, you do not know what they are as you
do not know me. So what if you know more about networking than me. It
is not as big an issue for me, as it would appear to be to you.

Perhaps you think I am making some of these thinks up that I am
"reporting" after all they are pretty "out there", pretty "over the top"
etc etc. I find it had to believe my self.

If I was a mullet, I'd be stunned.

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:21:06 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
>things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
>the pool for the new plan

If your ISP doesn't tell you, why should you expect/assume anything?
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Collector»NZ

Waylon Kenning said the following on 12/11/2004 21:35:
> It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 20:21:06 +1300 was when Collector»NZ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...
>

>>Perhaps I have a clue or more than you, If I change plans I expect a few
>>things to change including my IP so that I end up with one managed in
>>the pool for the new plan

> If your ISP doesn't tell you, why should you expect/assume anything?

Because if a static IP is important to me I would know about ISP IP
ranges and expect it to change if I change my plan.
Also if I am going to set my ADSL up to use a fixed IP I would also have
the same expectation

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Collector»NZ

Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 21:34:
> Collector»NZ wrote:
>
>> Chris Mayhew said the following on 12/11/2004 20:55:

>>> As I said, I was given certain information and told that was all I
>>> needed. If someone tells me thats all the information I require I
>>> don't automatically assume I need more.
>>>
>>> I don't understand why you always seem to want to turn this into
>>> something personal, between you and I, like you have to defend
>>> Orcon's honor, or something. I really don't care how many clue's you
>>> think you have compared to me generally, least of all when it comes
>>> to networking. I would expect you to know more than me about this
>>> subject as I understand you are in the trade, and I'm not.
>>>
>>> The only mistake I made was to take Orcon's information at face
>>> value, which I think is a reasonable thing for me to expect to be
>>> able to do.
>>>

>> Nothing personel and as to defending Orcon, not likely at the moment.
>> I have my own issue under resolution with them at the moment, unlike
>> you I am not yelling in here foaming at the mouth, I am dealing with
>> my supplier and keeping it between us, if it goes bad I will report
>> it, if it goes right I will report it.
>>
>> We all know the ADSL plans situation is an issue (mainly timing) at
>> the moment and we all expect a few issues because of the organisations
>> involved. Your posts have unfourtunatly not added anything to the
>> situation other than demonstarte your lack of paitence and skills.
>>

> I have been dealing with my supplier too, it has gone bad, time after
> time, so I am reporting it here. I feel compelled to do so, just like
> agent Smith
>
> I do not have a lack of patience ( LOL, you really DO NOT know me), I
> have simply lost mine when it comes to Orcon. There is a difference.
>
> As far as my skills are concerned, you do not know what they are as you
> do not know me. So what if you know more about networking than me. It
> is not as big an issue for me, as it would appear to be to you.
>
> Perhaps you think I am making some of these thinks up that I am
> "reporting" after all they are pretty "out there", pretty "over the top"
> etc etc. I find it had to believe my self.
>
> If I was a mullet, I'd be stunned.

Take the scissors to that hair cut man

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |