Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does this sound like a scam?

Does this sound like a scam?

Rupert

My faithful digital camera is getting a little weary so needs some
maintenance or at least I need to know if it's worth repairing, so I
contacted Kodak and go this reply... Does it sound a bit dodgy? FYI I've
changed the reference number...

In any case, whats the likelihood of it being economic to repair? Sometimes
when you turn on the camera it takes all black shots and nothing shows up on
the LCD when using that as a view finder, though you can review pics etc.
Turning it off and on a few times seems to help - sometimes so I'm guessing
the CCD circutry is a bit flakey....

-----------------

Hello Rupert,

Thank you for contacting Kodak Technical Support and Product Information.

I will now update your profile in our database. However, for repair cases,
we need your daytime address; we cannot deliver the repaired camera into
your PO box address. We want to make sure that your camera will be brought
back to you.

This case is registered as a non-warranty repair and it is a necessity for
you to pay an upfront of NZ$64.00. You can pay us thru credit card, cheque,
or bank to bank.

You may opt to pay us using your credit card, I suggest that you call our
toll free number 0800-440-786 for security purposes.

You may also opt to pay us thru cheque, we will be needing you to fill out
the check with these information:
Cheque made out to: Kodak NZ Ltd.
Attention : Dianne Kamuhemu
Kodak NZ Ltd.
PO Box 2198, Auckland, NZ
*Please right down the V number on the back of the cheque for reference.

Another option is to pay us bank to bank. Here are the necessary information
for this mode:
Citibank N. A.
Account number: 31-2840-0028259-00

For any deposit notification, please send to Jimmy Ching
phone number: 64 09 3028616
fax number: 64 09 3028639
*Please put the V number on the forms for reference

Once payment is received, we will send this case to Kodak Center in New
Zealand and they will contact you regarding pick-up of your camera. It will
be shipped to our Repair Center in Australia. It will undergo a 10-day
assessment then we will be sending you the quote for the repair. If our
technician finds out that the camera is uneconomical to repair, we will
offer you a replacement camera for a discounted price.

We will appreciate it if you could give us first your daytime address before
arranging the payment for this repair.

Please keep your Kodak Reference Number for reference - VXXXXXXX.

For any other concerns, please feel free to e-mail us again thru :
(E-Mail Removed). Thanks again and have a nice day!

Regards,
Daniel
Kodak Technical Support

Chris Mayhew

Rupert wrote:
> My faithful digital camera is getting a little weary so needs some
> maintenance or at least I need to know if it's worth repairing, so I
> contacted Kodak and go this reply... Does it sound a bit dodgy? FYI I've
> changed the reference number...

Hey ! It sounds like Kodak and Orcon support use the same email
templates i.e disregard the question and go on about something else.

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised that they want $64 up front.
Finding the fault can often be the most expensive part of the repair
process. From their POV they are safeguarding themselves against a lot
of wasted time if they charge people to find the fault - if they didn't
charge and it was going to cost half the cost of a new camera people
might prefer not to have the camera repaired and the service center
loses money over it.