Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is Telecom port shaping?

Is Telecom port shaping?

Mr Scebe

Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it to
56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
normal?

--
Mr Scebe
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Ian Boag

The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots

"Mr Scebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
>good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
>audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it to
>56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
>normal?
>
>--
>Mr Scebe
>Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
>Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
>~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Mr Scebe

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots

Don't know, but i managed to get the video working - i set it to T1 on WMP
and manually set the cache to 5 sec. Now it's running faster than whitey at
lunchtime in a South Auckland school.

--
Mr Scebe
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Jed Meisterdude

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots
>

> "Mr Scebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
>>good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
>>audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it
>>56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
>>normal?
>>
>>--
>>Mr Scebe
>>Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
>>Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
>>~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

If telecom are selling as a 2mb connection then it should be a 2mb
connection with allowances for physical speed restrictions (distance from
exchange, plant type etc..) If they only commit 200k to the line
physically capable of 2Mb, then it cannot be marketed as a 2mb connection
(at least under my limited understanding of double speak).

-[Myth]-

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:25:56 +1300, Jed Meisterdude wrote:

> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
>> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
>> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
>> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots
>>

>> "Mr Scebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
>>>good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
>>>audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it
>>>56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
>>>normal?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Mr Scebe
>>>Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
>>>Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
>>>~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
>>>

> If telecom are selling as a 2mb connection then it should be a 2mb
> connection with allowances for physical speed restrictions (distance from
> exchange, plant type etc..) If they only commit 200k to the line
> physically capable of 2Mb, then it cannot be marketed as a 2mb connection
> (at least under my limited understanding of double speak).

Even if they do commit 2mbit to it, will it still be 2mbit at times of peak
usage/ when more people upgrade.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Mr Scebe wrote:
> Having just got the "2Mb" link, i find that i'm not getting particularly
> good results with video - even off Xtra's own site. The 300k links give me
> audio only, the 125k are stuttering at best, and it's only when i drop it to
> 56k that i can get a reasonable response. Does anyone know if this is
> normal?

they work fine for me on 256k UBS with Orcon, 256-1Mb wireless with
Synaptic, and whatever connection we have here at work.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Ian Boag wrote:
> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots

it'll pobably be something like 10:1 or 8:1
maybe even 6:1 if they want to show how good it is.

Mark S

IIRC isn't the Telecoms ADSL "standard" the commit to something like no
guarantees on latency, packet loss, and guaranteed service level of 14kbps?

Smoke and mirrors.

"Mr Scebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vwild.1149$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
> > link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
> > never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
> > Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots

> Don't know, but i managed to get the video working - i set it to T1 on WMP
> and manually set the cache to 5 sec. Now it's running faster than whitey

at
> lunchtime in a South Auckland school.
>
> --
> Mr Scebe
> Losersh always whine about their 'besht'.
> Winnersh go home and **** the prom queen".
> ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Toxickiwi

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:49:35 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 23:25:56 +1300, Jed Meisterdude wrote:
>
>> "Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The real question is how much bandwidth do Telecom commit to a 2MB
>>> link. I have it on good authority that it's like 200 k ..... you'll
>>> never find anyone to give you a staright answer on that one too.
>>> Commercially sensitive like the overselling of parking lots

>> If telecom are selling as a 2mb connection then it should be a 2mb
>> connection with allowances for physical speed restrictions (distance from
>> exchange, plant type etc..) If they only commit 200k to the line
>> physically capable of 2Mb, then it cannot be marketed as a 2mb connection
>> (at least under my limited understanding of double speak).

>Even if they do commit 2mbit to it, will it still be 2mbit at times of peak
>usage/ when more people upgrade.

I would suggest you move to Wellington or ChCh and switch to Telstra
Cable, I have the 10Mbit plan and can get very close to it (about
9Mbit) off one of the servers I use in the States, the only problem
with that is in about 4 hours you can use you monthly 10Gb cap To
get max download speed try using a program call Reget.