Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MSN Search Engine in beta at

MSN Search Engine in beta at

Bb

http://beta.search.msn.com/

Invisible

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:59:43 +1300, "Bb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://beta.search.msn.com/

Aiming for the uncluttered Google type look.

Pleb Plebian

"Bb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2pQkd.550$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://beta.search.msn.com/

:
Works well under Firefox......LOL

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:04:35 +1300 was when Invisible
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>>http://beta.search.msn.com/
>>

>Aiming for the uncluttered Google type look.

I do like the search build feature, being able to increase or decrease
the weight of search parameters such as popularity, exactness of fit,
and currentness of pages. In Firefox (which displays pages nicely, so
thumbs up there) I tried searching for popular fresh New Zealand pages
containing "internet". The results at

http://beta.search.msn.com/results.a...rnet&FORM=QBHP

Weren't terribly relevant, with http://www.internet-encyclopedia.com
coming up at the first hit. However, when compared to a search for New
Zealand pages at Google

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...cr%3DcountryNZ

The results are quite similar, ignoring the Victory University pages.
Both orcon and ihug feature in the top 10 pages, though both pages
have roughly the same amount of unrelated pages (rough comparison, no
statistical comparison taken place).

I do like the feature on google that pops up related news pages, and
the feature on MSN that allows feedback on a particular search result.
Both search engines have caching which is good.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Adam Warner

Hi Pleb Plebian,

>> http://beta.search.msn.com/

> :
> Works well under Firefox......LOL

Perform a search upon:

more evil [1]

more evil than MS [2]

Regards,
Adam

[1] <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=more+evil>
==> Microsoft Corporation, http://www.microsoft.com/

[2] <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=more+evil+than+MS>
==> Firefox - Rediscover the web, http://www.getfirefox.com/

Adam Warner

Hi Bb,

> http://beta.search.msn.com/

<http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

Collector»NZ

Adam Warner said the following on 12/11/2004 22:52:
> Hi Bb,
>

>>http://beta.search.msn.com/

> <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

Unavailable is the response I get, definitely a beta site

| Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

Waylon Kenning

It seems like Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:02:51 +1300 was when CollectorNZ
<(E-Mail Removed)> said Blah blah blah...

>> <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

>Unavailable is the response I get, definitely a beta site

Try

http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD

Instead.
--
Regards,
Waylon Kenning.

1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

Adam Warner

Hi Collector»NZ,

>> <http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD&near=Near+Me>

> Unavailable is the response I get, definitely a beta site

I just found the response "We couldn't find any sites containing FUD."
amusing, that's all. At least there's no FUD in New Zealand.

A search for FUD restricted to the domain microsoft.com returns "Get the
Facts" as the first response (it's seventh otherwise):
<http://beta.search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=FUD+site%3Amicrosoft.com>

This likely means many web sites linking to the "Get the Facts" campaign
have used the description FUD in close proximity to the link. Just one of
life's little mysteries.

Regards,
Adam

Nathan Mercer