Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help needed on a Harddrive !!

Help needed on a Harddrive !!

Loupole

I have a Abit Max 3 motherboard and I have just purchased 2x200GB Seagate
harddrives....Please tell me what I am doing wrong I have installed them and
have had no end but trouble with them both....I can't copy any files without
it frezzing my machine...What do I need or have to do to make them work...
I have done a BIOS update and drives too and still no go...
They are connected to my Sillicon Chip on my motherboard....It should be
easy plug n play....

Please HELP anyone !!!!!

Loupole

#

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:12:07 +1300, Loupole wrote:

> I have a Abit Max 3 motherboard and I have just purchased 2x200GB Seagate
> harddrives....Please tell me what I am doing wrong I have installed them and
> have had no end but trouble with them both....I can't copy any files without
> it frezzing my machine...

Is your computer overclocked?

Loupole

No not at all running at 3.2ghz
These are my specs

3.2ghz (northwood) CPU
Abit IC7 Max 3
1GB 400mhz Ram
Tyan Radeon 9600 Pro Graphics Card
1.44 Floppy Drive
CD Rom
CD Writer
DVD Rom
DVD Writer
I know I should have only one drive but its what I have collected over
time...
2x120GB Sata Seagate Harddrive
2x200GB Sata Seagate Harddrive
Cnet Network Card for my Server one on motherboard is for the internet...

And to top it off have 8 fans to keep it cool ....

After all that it could be a overload of the powersupply too...got a Slient
420Watt power supply

"#" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:18zc6krehzyfm$.1nab7wytsgpew$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:12:07 +1300, Loupole wrote:
>
> > I have a Abit Max 3 motherboard and I have just purchased 2x200GB

Seagate
> > harddrives....Please tell me what I am doing wrong I have installed them

and
> > have had no end but trouble with them both....I can't copy any files

without
> > it frezzing my machine...

> Is your computer overclocked?

Southern Kiwi

"Loupole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41933762$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Abit Max 3 motherboard and I have just purchased 2x200GB Seagate
> harddrives....Please tell me what I am doing wrong I have installed them

and
> have had no end but trouble with them both....I can't copy any files

without
> it frezzing my machine...What do I need or have to do to make them work...
> I have done a BIOS update and drives too and still no go...
> They are connected to my Sillicon Chip on my motherboard....It should be
> easy plug n play....
>
> Please HELP anyone !!!!!
>
> Loupole

Not sure of your experience level so, have you done the obvious?.......1 set
as master, 1 as slave and the appropriate bios cable settings?
--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

colinco

In article Southern Kiwi says...
> Not sure of your experience level so, have you done the obvious?.......1 set
> as master, 1 as slave and the appropriate bios cable settings?

Loupole has already stated that they are SATA drives.

Try searching the Abit forums or posting there.
http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=6

#

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 06:46:13 +1300, Loupole wrote:

> CD Rom
> CD Writer
> DVD Rom
> DVD Writer
> I know I should have only one drive but its what I have collected over
> time...
> 2x120GB Sata Seagate Harddrive
> 2x200GB Sata Seagate Harddrive
> Cnet Network Card for my Server one on motherboard is for the internet...
>
> And to top it off have 8 fans to keep it cool ....
>
> After all that it could be a overload of the powersupply too...got a Slient
> 420Watt power supply

Had you tried unplugging (data and power) all the optical drives and one of
the 120GB drives (preferrable), or disabling them through the device
manager, to test operation of the 200GB drives in a less cluttered
scenario?

macca

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No not at all running at 3.2ghz
> These are my specs
>
> 3.2ghz (northwood) CPU
> Abit IC7 Max 3
> 1GB 400mhz Ram
> Tyan Radeon 9600 Pro Graphics Card
> 1.44 Floppy Drive
> CD Rom
> CD Writer
> DVD Rom
> DVD Writer
> I know I should have only one drive but its what I have

collected over
> time...
> 2x120GB Sata Seagate Harddrive
> 2x200GB Sata Seagate Harddrive
> Cnet Network Card for my Server one on motherboard is for

the internet...

> And to top it off have 8 fans to keep it cool ....
>
> After all that it could be a overload of the powersupply

too...got a Slient
> 420Watt power supply

<snip>

Well first off I'd dump the cd, cdr, dvd, I assume that the
dvd writer can also write cds? If not dump it also and
invest in one that does it all. That frees a lot of stuff
up. Format and partition your hds put them in and also
should be okay..:>>