Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Anyone else on Orcon's UBS running slow??

Reply
Thread Tools

Anyone else on Orcon's UBS running slow??

 
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2004
I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..

DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ryan Jacobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2004
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
<(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom:

>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
>
>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..


I'm not sure it's an Orcon problem. Xtra has been reeealll slow today,
which implies the problem lies firmly at the feet of telescum - oh
there's a surprise, lol.

--
--------------------------------------------------------
/Begin Sig
Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf
Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
/End Sig
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jed Meisterdude
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2004

"Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
> <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom:
>
>>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
>>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
>>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
>>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
>>
>>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

>
> I'm not sure it's an Orcon problem. Xtra has been reeealll slow today,
> which implies the problem lies firmly at the feet of telescum - oh
> there's a surprise, lol.
>
> --
> --------------------------------------------------------
> /Begin Sig
> Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
> Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf
> Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
> /End Sig
> --------------------------------------------------------


I had no problem on xtra jetstream today.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mutlley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2004
"Jed Meisterdude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Ryan Jacobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> provided this moment of wisdom:
>>
>>>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
>>>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
>>>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
>>>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
>>>
>>>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

>>
>> I'm not sure it's an Orcon problem. Xtra has been reeealll slow today,
>> which implies the problem lies firmly at the feet of telescum - oh
>> there's a surprise, lol.
>>
>> --
>> --------------------------------------------------------
>> /Begin Sig
>> Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
>> Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf
>> Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
>> /End Sig
>> --------------------------------------------------------

>
>I had no problem on xtra jetstream today.
>

This morning it seems back to 32KB solid. Last nite it was like the
bad old days of Jetstart before Telecom upgraded the DSLAMs.. Spikey
 
Reply With Quote
 
DoggNZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2004
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
>
>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period.


I changed over yesterday and now people uploading from me are getting
5Kbps when they were getting 15Kbps. Speedtest shows I'm still (in
theory) 256K\128K so hopefully it gets ironed out.

--
BOINC SETI
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/seti2/sta...1469&trans=off
 
Reply With Quote
 
Starkey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2004
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
>
>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..


nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
custard really high pings
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2004
Starkey wrote:
> nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
> custard really high pings


~30ms higer than you had already?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Starkey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2004
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:23:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Starkey wrote:
>> nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
>> custard really high pings

>
>~30ms higer than you had already?


on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even 4000ms
in bits i asked around and its not the server
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Mayhew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2004
Mutley wrote:
> I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
> news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
> Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
> Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
>
> DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

Well since I was changed over I noticed that last night speeds were
good, the router shows upload speed is 160 kbps download is 320 kbps.
Pings to Orcon's mail server were around 60ms, to the west coast of USA
270ms.

Then around midnight it all turned to custard and appears to remain that
way this morning.

Ping time to Orcon mail server is now around 622ms, to the west coast of
USA around 862ms. Speed is calculated at 45.8 kbps according to
http://www.bandwidthplace.com - I selected "New Zealand" as the
"region". Don't know anything about this website, it was at the top of
the google search results.


--
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-13-2004
Starkey wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:23:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Starkey wrote:
>>> nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
>>> custard really high pings

>>
>> ~30ms higer than you had already?

>
> on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even 4000ms
> in bits i asked around and its not the server


Same here. The game is unplayable. I've spoken to Orcon and they got me to
do some pings and tracert's and send them to their technical dudes and I
hope to hell they fix it soon or I'm going back to dial up. On dial up two
of us sharing the connection could play with pings around 200. This morning
with UBS the ping averaged 1,500ms and got significantly worse in places.
Try pinging Battlenet's servers, IPs are 63.241.83.xx(x). On UBS all I can
get is timeouts. That's when it's over 1,000ms right?

An Orcon rep told me yesterday that there is a whisper that Telecom is
deliberately nerfing the latency. She'd been answering calls all day from
irate gamers.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pukekohe UBS down at Midnite, anywhere else? ~misfit~ NZ Computing 4 04-23-2005 11:40 PM
Anyone playing Everquest II on Orcon UBS? Bottle Boy NZ Computing 0 02-21-2005 11:32 PM
Orcon - anyone else having performance issues on UBS? mark NZ Computing 8 01-31-2005 12:02 AM
anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
Orcon "UBS" - anyone been switched yet? -=rjh=- NZ Computing 36 10-24-2004 12:05 AM



Advertisments