Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > urned pc off while booting, dont go now - help

urned pc off while booting, dont go now - help

SS

A friend of mine decided to switch the computer off from the mains
powerpack switch (behind the box), while the computer was starting up.

when he restarted the comp, funny characters came up on the screen and
system halted. turned it off then restarted again. computer booted
normally, so they decided to surf the net, then the comp died, it
stopped, blank screen etc.

tried restarting but nothing this time. im told that the fans are
running on the power pack, cpu and another internal system fan. the
monitor stays black (it doesnt respond when the machine is switched on).
the gfx card fan does not spin.

Any idea what couldve have blown? motherboard, power pack, a fuse
somewhere? Any ideas would be great. its a fairly late model comp, about
1.5 yrs old (2.4ghz).

cheers Steve

Craig Sutton

"SS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend of mine decided to switch the computer off from the mains
> powerpack switch (behind the box), while the computer was starting up.
>
> when he restarted the comp, funny characters came up on the screen and
> system halted. turned it off then restarted again. computer booted
> normally, so they decided to surf the net, then the comp died, it
> stopped, blank screen etc.
>
> tried restarting but nothing this time. im told that the fans are
> running on the power pack, cpu and another internal system fan. the
> monitor stays black (it doesnt respond when the machine is switched on).
> the gfx card fan does not spin.
>
> Any idea what couldve have blown? motherboard, power pack, a fuse
> somewhere? Any ideas would be great. its a fairly late model comp, about
> 1.5 yrs old (2.4ghz).
>
> cheers Steve

worth a try...pressing insert key to reset the bios? on booting

wogers nemesis

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:13:41 +1300, SS wrote:

> A friend of mine decided to switch the computer off from the mains
> powerpack switch (behind the box), while the computer was starting up.
>
> when he restarted the comp, funny characters came up on the screen and
> system halted. turned it off then restarted again. computer booted
> normally, so they decided to surf the net, then the comp died, it
> stopped, blank screen etc.
>
> tried restarting but nothing this time. im told that the fans are
> running on the power pack, cpu and another internal system fan. the
> monitor stays black (it doesnt respond when the machine is switched on).
> the gfx card fan does not spin.
>
> Any idea what couldve have blown? motherboard, power pack, a fuse
> somewhere? Any ideas would be great. its a fairly late model comp, about
> 1.5 yrs old (2.4ghz).
>
> cheers Steve

Check yee capacitors on the motherboard ..they may be bulging/leaking...

Gurble

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:13:41 +1300, SS <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

>A friend of mine decided to switch the computer off from the mains
>powerpack switch (behind the box), while the computer was starting up.
>
>when he restarted the comp, funny characters came up on the screen and
>system halted. turned it off then restarted again. computer booted
>normally, so they decided to surf the net, then the comp died, it
>stopped, blank screen etc.
>
>tried restarting but nothing this time. im told that the fans are
>running on the power pack, cpu and another internal system fan. the
>monitor stays black (it doesnt respond when the machine is switched on).
>the gfx card fan does not spin.
>
>Any idea what couldve have blown? motherboard, power pack, a fuse
>somewhere? Any ideas would be great. its a fairly late model comp, about
>1.5 yrs old (2.4ghz).

Almost definately sounds like he's blown his motherboard.

Patrick Dunford

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed, 10 Nov 2004
22:13:41 +1300, SS <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
> A friend of mine decided to switch the computer off from the mains
> powerpack switch (behind the box), while the computer was starting up.
>
> when he restarted the comp, funny characters came up on the screen and
> system halted. turned it off then restarted again. computer booted
> normally, so they decided to surf the net, then the comp died, it
> stopped, blank screen etc.
>
> tried restarting but nothing this time. im told that the fans are
> running on the power pack, cpu and another internal system fan. the
> monitor stays black (it doesnt respond when the machine is switched on).
> the gfx card fan does not spin.
>
> Any idea what couldve have blown? motherboard, power pack, a fuse
> somewhere? Any ideas would be great. its a fairly late model comp, about
> 1.5 yrs old (2.4ghz).

Probably the graphics card is not working, this will cause the symptoms
but you also have to prove that the rest of the system is booting up
normally i.e. the HDD spins and then the normal pattern of disk activity
occurs as Windows/other OS loads.

Failure could be down to the card itself or the power feed to the
graphics card could have failed - usually it has its own separate power
connector.

People like that should be shot - turning the power off or resetting
while the HDD is being written can totally stuff up the directory
structure which can only be fixed by reformatting and reinstalling
Windows.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

SS wrote:
> Any idea what couldve have blown? motherboard, power pack, a fuse
> somewhere? Any ideas would be great. its a fairly late model comp, about
> 1.5 yrs old (2.4ghz).

vid card, motherboard, maybe PSU, maybe Hdd.

I'd test them in that order.

akiwi

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:29:21 +1300, Patrick Dunford
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)> in nz.comp on Wed, 10 Nov 2004
>22:13:41 +1300, SS <(E-Mail Removed)> says...
>> A friend of mine decided to switch the computer off from the mains
>> powerpack switch (behind the box), while the computer was starting up.
>>

>People like that should be shot - turning the power off or resetting
>while the HDD is being written can totally stuff up the directory
>structure which can only be fixed by reformatting and reinstalling
>Windows.

NTFS uses "transactional operations" which allows it to rollback an
incompleted operation and supposedly means the file system will never
be left in an inconsistent state, so the most you lose is the stuff
you were trying to write at the time of interruption.