Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How charming - a little club

Reply
Thread Tools

How charming - a little club

 
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2004

Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they are
most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are The
Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...41107154122603

This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
innovation and technical progress in modern times.


Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2004
Peter wrote:
> Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
> technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they are
> most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
> patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are The
> Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...41107154122603


> This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
> innovation and technical progress in modern times.


I agree that it is a bit of a bitch... but from a business perspective,
it is brilliant.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Allistar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2004
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Peter wrote:
>> Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
>> technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they
>> are most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
>> patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are
>> The Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...41107154122603

>
>> This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
>> innovation and technical progress in modern times.

>
> I agree that it is a bit of a bitch... but from a business perspective,
> it is brilliant.


Only if you're one of the top 30 technology companies, and especially not if
you're in software development and NOT in this club.

Allistar.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2004
Allistar wrote:
>>>Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
>>>technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they
>>>are most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
>>>patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are
>>>The Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
>>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...41107154122603


>>>This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
>>>innovation and technical progress in modern times.


>>I agree that it is a bit of a bitch... but from a business perspective,
>>it is brilliant.


> Only if you're one of the top 30 technology companies, and especially not if
> you're in software development and NOT in this club.


yeah, I should have clarified... I meant from MSs perspective.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
http://www.karyn.net.nz
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2004
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:28:50 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>Microsoft is "seeking to enter into cross-licensing deals with the top 30
>technology companies, so that they can have access to the patents they are
>most interested in and can offer their customers indemnification from
>patent infringement lawsuits. How charming. A little club. The "We Are The
>Only Ones Allowed to Write Software Any More" Club."
>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...41107154122603
>
>This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
>innovation and technical progress in modern times.
>
>
>Peter


I read somewhere, might have been in November APC mag, that Microsoft
are registering 30 patents a day. With Australia signing a free trade
agreement with US, Aussie laws coming into line with US copy laws,
Aussie software writers are nervous about patent infringement action
by Microsoft. They are probably shaping up to attack Linux when more
countries come into line with US laws.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Scebe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2004

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip more ranting crap>

> This sort of patent abuse would have to be the greatest single threat to
> innovation and technical progress in modern times.


Really?
From the article quoted:
"Microsoft also is rapidly trying to boost its presence among the elite in
the patent filing world. The software giant, which holds less than 4,000
patents, plans to file 3,000 applications for patents this year alone."

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data...s/patents.html
"During the past 11 years, IBM innovations have generated more than 25,000
US patents -- nearly triple the total of any US IT competitor during this
time, and surpassing the combined totals for Hewlett-Packard, Dell,
Microsoft, Sun, Oracle, Intel, Apple, EMC, Accenture, and EDS."

Don't let the chance to have an unsubstantiated bash at Microsoft get in the
way of the facts.

--
Mr Scebe
"Pershonally i think you're a ****ing idiot"
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Scebe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2004

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I read somewhere, might have been in November APC mag, that Microsoft
> are registering 30 patents a day.


Gee, 10000 a year. Twice as many as they've done in their entire existence.
I think you might need to google some "facts". Or even read the article
quoted, where it said they wanted to patent 4000 this year, or just over 10
a day.

>With Australia signing a free trade
> agreement with US, Aussie laws coming into line with US copy laws,
> Aussie software writers are nervous about patent infringement action
> by Microsoft.


Wank, wank wank. Do you think that "Aussie software writers" (of which the
overwhelming majority work for American multinationals anyway) are worried
about infringing IBM copyright?

--
Mr Scebe
"Pershonally i think you're a ****ing idiot"
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Charming Windows Eight Gordon NZ Computing 2 10-30-2012 08:01 AM
Charming youngster informs the global warming debate hummingbird Computer Support 5 12-20-2009 05:07 AM
1 little 2 little 3 little Kennedys dale Digital Photography 0 03-23-2008 01:03 PM
little red X in little white box Puzzled Computer Support 8 12-13-2004 09:11 AM



Advertisments