Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra & DNS

Xtra & DNS

Gavin Tunney

Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
as bad.

What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?

Cheers

Gavin

Chris Hope

Gavin Tunney wrote:

> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
> as bad.
>
> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?

I found their DNS to be total crap. They randomly seem to not be able to
resolve the domain you want at all. For a while I thought there was a
problem with my Internet connection and then realised it was actually the
DNS servers. So I installed a caching DNS server on my main desktop and set
up all my machines on my home office network to use the DNS server on this
machine. No problems since then. Whether or not this is a problem for all
Xtra users I have no idea.

I don't use their POP server (I have my own machine online that I get my
mail from) so have no idea if it's good or bad.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Gavin Tunney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin

Yep, its crap.

wogers nemesis

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:53:03 +1300, Gavin Tunney wrote:

> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
> as bad.
>
> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin

It used to be so bad when I was with Xtra Jetsurf that I switched to using
Paradise's DNS server...

Steve

Gavin Tunney wrote:
> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
> as bad.
>
> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin

Which one?

ns_name_01: alien.xtra.co.nz
ns_ip4_01: 202.27.184.3
ns_name_02: terminator2.xtra.co.nz
ns_ip4_02: 202.27.158.38
ns_name_03: terminator3.xtra.co.nz
ns_ip4_03: 202.27.156.70
ns_name_04: terminator.xtra.co.nz
ns_ip4_04: 202.27.184.5

Steve

Gavin Tunney

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:00:45 +1300, Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gavin Tunney wrote:
>> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
>> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
>> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
>> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
>> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
>> as bad.
>>
>> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Gavin

>Which one?
>
>ns_name_01: alien.xtra.co.nz
>ns_ip4_01: 202.27.184.3

My router always picks up this one, in Auck.

>ns_name_02: terminator2.xtra.co.nz
>ns_ip4_02: 202.27.158.38
>ns_name_03: terminator3.xtra.co.nz
>ns_ip4_03: 202.27.156.70
>ns_name_04: terminator.xtra.co.nz
>ns_ip4_04: 202.27.184.5

Didn't realise they had four, thought they only had two. Wonder if
it's a universal problem across all of them or just one.

GT

Gavin Tunney

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:12:26 +1300, Chris Hope
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gavin Tunney wrote:
>
>> Just curious to know how others find Xtra's DNS server. I find it
>> virtually unusable, it can't even find the Xtra POP3 server half the
>> time & you often get websites not displaying or really bad lags when
>> connecting to sites. These days I use someone else's DNS server but
>> just tried Xtras again to see if it had improved & nope... still just
>> as bad.
>>
>> What's others experiences with it... good, bad, indifferent?

>I found their DNS to be total crap. They randomly seem to not be able to
>resolve the domain you want at all. For a while I thought there was a
>problem with my Internet connection and then realised it was actually the
>DNS servers. So I installed a caching DNS server on my main desktop and set
>up all my machines on my home office network to use the DNS server on this
>machine. No problems since then.

I found much the same, but rather than use my own DNS I just use
another ISPs DNS server... works fine.

>Whether or not this is a problem for all Xtra users I have no idea.

Nor I. I was wondering if it's just the DNS server that I get
allocated in my area or if it's all of them.

>I don't use their POP server (I have my own machine online that I get my
>mail from) so have no idea if it's good or bad.

It's not so much their POP server, their email is lamentable but
that's another story. Their DNS server frequently can't even resolve
pop3.xtra.co.nz, email client just sits there with the message
'finding host...."

What interests me is just why it's been faulty for so long, their DNS
has been crap for a good couple of years now. One would think surely
they know about it, in which case they're deliberately not fixing
problems like this.... beancounters refusing to spend the money on
decent hardware perhaps. But on reflection it occured the ivory towers
have probably managed to isolate themselves so thoroughly from the
coalface that they never even get to know about issues like this. I
tried getting their helpdesk to pass me onto someone technical once,
so I could tell them their DNS has problems, I won't repeat how that
went.

Cheers

GT

Mr Scebe

"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Didn't realise they had four, thought they only had two. Wonder if
> it's a universal problem across all of them or just one.

Hmm, unless something is real wrong with their SOA and zone transfers, i
would say it's affecting all of them. That said, i've always used alien and
terminator as secondarys and never really had too many problems.

--
Mr Scebe
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"

Xtra DNS continuing to resolve names after DNS moved away Richard NZ Computing 4 08-09-2005 05:27 AM
Xtra DNS michael NZ Computing 2 07-11-2005 05:16 AM
Xtra DNS Server IP Change Justin NZ Computing 6 01-26-2005 07:15 PM
xtra dns lookups flaky ... or is it my router?... John R... NZ Computing 3 11-18-2004 12:27 PM
Xtra's DNS response Bruce Simpson NZ Computing 21 05-03-2004 08:26 AM

Advertisments